Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone5 Power button right side ?

my iphone 5 power button isnt functioning properly, but if i press on the left side of the power button it works, right side it doesnt. Is anyone facing the same problem? is there anyway i could fix it?😐

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Apr 21, 2013 6:40 AM

18 replies

Apr 21, 2013 6:53 AM in response to Mohhaaqib

Try doing a hard reset:

Press and hold both the Home button and the Sleep/wake button simultaneously for about 15 seconds and release when the Apple logo appears.

If that doesn't solve the issue, backup the device and restore it as new.

In that case, use: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4137

NB: set up as a NEW device because a software issue will be in the backup. If the issue persists after restoring as new, you should offer the device for service.

If you get specific error messages/codes in iTunes when updating/restoring, check this: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3694

If you're not able to restore the device, this one might help: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1808

Using that last article will erase everything on the device, so make sure you have a backup!

Good luck 🙂

Update: assuming the device doesn't have accidental or liquid damage, the repair will be covered by warranty.

Message was edited by: jesterwylde

May 8, 2013 8:29 AM in response to Mohhaaqib

I've owned multiple iPhone 5s now and keep having this issue. It starts with the right side of the power button becoming unresponsive (have to then start pressing very hard from the left side of the power button) then gets to where you you have to press harder multiple times. This is a consistent iphone 5 issue. I've owned 2 iphone 3gs, 2 iphone 4s, 4 iphone 5 phones and this is the most annoying issue i've faced (other than screen issue with 3gs and battery issue with iphone 4s)...this summer i may finally make the port to android....i'm really annoyed by this power button issue since it has happened on multiple iphone 5 phones i've owned.

May 10, 2013 7:13 AM in response to Mohhaaqib

I had a similar problem, they replaced once for customer satisfaction and insisted that there is no problem. Then the replaced one had the same problem and it took ages to proof that it is their mistake. It is replaced again but iPhone 5 is my last iPhone, I will move to another brand.

Unfortunately, you don't come accross to this type of problem with high end watches.

"iPhone 5, with its sleek aluminium enclosure, is made with a level of precision you'd expect from a finely crafted watch"

Nov 25, 2013 9:09 PM in response to Mohhaaqib

This is a defect on iPhone 5 power button that wears out in about 13-14 months of usage just after you go out of warranty. Apple is aware of this issue but chooses not to accept this as a defect. I asked the Genius bar guy and they told me this is a common case recently and costs $269 to replace your phone. There is no repair option. I am very mad and believe Apple needs to take action or will lose their customers. All iPhone 5 owners that I know started having this problem in the month of 13 -14.

I believe if the numbers go high, Apple may start a recall program. Please encourage anyone with this problem to post here. $700 phone should not wear out this soon. Apparently the part is defective on almost all iPhone 5 devices.

Some other threads about this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5564147

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5401951

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5105189

Dec 5, 2013 10:52 PM in response to WiseUser

I'm having the exact same problem. I have an iPhone 5, my very first iPhone. I owned a Nexus One for 3.5 years with not a single issue. In fact, it's sitting right here beside me and looks and operates like new still.

The right side of the power button is failing. The very left edge will work 80 percent of presses. This started happening in about October 2013, one month out of warranty, conveniently.... I bought the phone in Sept of 2012.

I have never dropped my phone and treat it like gold, as did I with my Nexus One (the reason why it still looks new). The iPhone still looks almost new but sure doesn't operate like it anymore. I am sadly not at all impressed with the build quality of iPhones and my first impression and experience has turned sour for no good reason other than poor design or build quality. I suppose I will go back to the other side after this becomes unresponsive.

Dec 13, 2013 11:13 AM in response to mtb2k

Yeah. I'm on my 5th iPhone 5. I'm out of contract and can upgrade, but have chosen not to get the iPhone 5S. I think I'm just going to decide an Android device and try that out after having so many issues with this. When I went into the store each time I was able to get a phone swapped out (while still under warranty) but I shouldn't have had to. I have to travel to a bigger city each time to get this done. I wish apple would publically admit this issue and say it has been rectified. If they'd do that I'd be more likely to stay with them.

Dec 18, 2013 3:13 PM in response to Mohhaaqib

Ok so. Apple moderators deleted all my posts. We are not allowed to talk about issues related to Apple products here and not allowed to direct people to somewhere that they can either. We are not allowed to say anything about Apple products? Really Apple? We have paid a premium price to buy your device and now expect a customer service. If you reject your customers you WILL lose. Simple.

May 6, 2014 11:49 AM in response to MrPractical

Obviously you always have a choice in cell phone suppliers, but Apple offering the free repair program with loaner available is a very good step on their part. Don't know if other companies would do the same. Any cell phone product design (like most electronic products) can have a hardware issue, but the iPhones have actually been pretty reliable over the model changes. We have had four iPhone 5 devices with two of them having exhibited the Power Button issue. The repair in our case took about 10-days.

Iphone5 Power button right side ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.