Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Power button not working

Power button not working on iPhone 5

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Jun 15, 2013 4:57 AM

25 replies

Nov 7, 2013 9:31 AM in response to kalyan2k7

My phone is 40 days past warranty and my power button stopped working. Took it into Apple store and I was told it would cost me $280 to replace it. You would think an $800 device would last longer than a year, and based on the multiple forum posts and complaints online, this is a pretty common harware problem. Is there anything we can do?

Nov 25, 2013 8:53 PM in response to nicklongpre

This is a defect on iPhone 5 power button that wears out in about 13-14 months of usage just after you go out of warranty. Apple is aware of this issue but chooses not to accept this as a defect. I asked the Genius bar guy and they told me this is a common case recently and costs $269 to replace your phone. There is no repair option. I am very mad and believe Apple needs to take action or will lose their customers. All iPhone 5 owners that I know started having this problem in the month of 13 -14.

I believe if the numbers go high, Apple may start a recall program. Please encourage anyone with this problem to post here. $700 phone should not wear out this soon. Apparently the part is defective on almost all iPhone 5 devices.

Other threads about this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5564147

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5401951

Dec 16, 2013 12:42 AM in response to WiseUser

Hi,

I just have the same issue. It started like 3 weeks ago. First i noticed that the button's response has lag. Then a week after only the right part of the button is responsive and now, I have to hit like 20% lenght from the right of the total length of the button. It is really annoying and frustrating. I am pretty sure this is a software issue. Apple PLEASE HELP.

Jan 31, 2014 1:46 PM in response to Drummstyx

I had the same problems for months & couldn't get the chance to take my iphone 5 in because i was busy & it's such a hassle.

So when i called CS today, they told me since i'm 100+ days outside of warrenty, i would need to fork out $260 for a replacement. Is Apple out it's blink mind? That's more than what the phone costs. And why the **** do i have to pay for a flawed design even outside the contract? That just a B.S Policy & Apple being CHEAP! To **** with Apple Products & I am taking my money elsewhere. No wonder their STOCK is tumbling!

Jan 31, 2014 1:54 PM in response to Safari Punch

The $260 price tag is for a completely refurbished out of warranty replacement with a 90 day warranty on it. Plus the cost of the phone, depending on capacity, is a lot more than $260, the new price would start at $649.

The contract has nothing to do with the replacement, it is based on warranty. The iPhone warranty is 1-year, and can be increased to 2 based on the purchase of Apple Care.

I'm not aware of any manufacturer that provides free replacements outside of the warranty period.

Power button not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.