Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

find my mac not showing mac location, but its online

HI

i having problem :

location servics enables (nothing in list)(no app in list which accesses location),

icloud "find my mac" enabled,

and WHEN I TRY TO FIND MY MACBOOK ON icloud or "find my iphone app" on iphone.

it says:

"ONLINE,LOCATION UNAVAILABLE"

and one more thing, when i set "time & date" to "set automactic according to my location"

then the result is "unable to determine location at this time."

CAN ANYONE TELL, HOW TO MAKE LOCATIONS ACCESSED? IS IT WIFI SETTINGS? OR IS IT OTHER SETTINGS BEYOND MAC .???

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), OSX 10.8.4, mac book pro

Posted on Oct 13, 2013 3:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2014 7:57 PM

I had the same issue in my MBP. I was able to solve it using the following steps:

1. Disable Find My Mac from System Preferences --> iCloud --> Unckeck (Find My Mac).

2. Go to System Preferences --> Security & Privacy --> Click the lock to make changes. Make sure to keep it unlocked.

3. Return back to System Preferences --> iCloud --> Enable Find My Mac.

No the issue is solved. You can go and check it from icloud.com. If it is working, you can go back and return the lock from Security & Privacy to its origional status.

That's it 🙂

38 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2014 7:57 PM in response to divjyot_sngh

I had the same issue in my MBP. I was able to solve it using the following steps:

1. Disable Find My Mac from System Preferences --> iCloud --> Unckeck (Find My Mac).

2. Go to System Preferences --> Security & Privacy --> Click the lock to make changes. Make sure to keep it unlocked.

3. Return back to System Preferences --> iCloud --> Enable Find My Mac.

No the issue is solved. You can go and check it from icloud.com. If it is working, you can go back and return the lock from Security & Privacy to its origional status.

That's it 🙂

Oct 13, 2013 2:21 PM in response to divjyot_sngh

Please verify that the box marked Enable Location Services is checked in the Security & Privacy preference pane, and that the one marked Find My Mac is checked in the iCloud preference pane.

If so, take the computer and the iOS device to a public place with Wi-Fi access. You don't necessarily have to connect to a network; you just have to see it in the Wi-Fi menu. Verify that the iOS device can be located but the Mac can't.

Apr 8, 2017 9:49 AM in response to hsahli

My iPhone would not show my Mac location. Your Mac must have the Wi-Fi turned on. If your Mac is hard-wired to your internet box by an Ethernet cable its location will NOT show on your other deviceseven if all the settings are correct on your Mac and other devices. My Mac is hard wired but as soon as I clicked the triangular Wi-Fi icon to ON, the location appeared on my iPhone.

Oct 13, 2013 7:16 PM in response to Linc Davis

Sir, I have already enabled the location services and also the find my mac in iCloud settings.

Thing is that when I connect my iPhone or iPad to my home wifi (broadband) , I am ABLE to find it on find my iphone and also in iCloud.com's find my iPhone .

But

When my MacBook Pro (mountain lion) is connected, the find my iPhone/mac only shows it as "online"

But "location unavailable ".

I have tried to find out if other websites too aren't able to access my current location .

Some sites like location.org tells exact location but googl maps online showing wrong.

Besides , there is not app in "location services menu, not even Safari but it access my location .

Please do tell me how location with "Find my iPhone " is accessed? Is it IP based like mostly websites do? Or it other thing which is creating problem?

Thanks

Oct 13, 2013 7:50 PM in response to Linc Davis

Correction: mylocation.org

And thanks for ur help I will carry out the public wifi test .

But I wished if it works on my home wifi for iPhone and iPad

It should also work for mac.

Another thing I like to mention is that "set automatic time/date according to location" also is unable to determine my location . I can't even not set it .

Thanks

Oct 30, 2013 5:58 AM in response to divjyot_sngh

I wanted to add to this discussion what I found today on my own Mac. I have been trying to get Calendar to show my location and it wasn't working, so I tried to find out why. Similar to the original poster, even my location in "date and time preferences" was not working with all settings set properly. At my office, which is where the Mac rests most of the time, I have access to both wifi and LAN, but I prefer to send wifi to my iPad through my mac and the ethernet for a more consistent connection, so I regularly use ethernet instead of wifi on the Mac itself, obviously. I noticed that once I turn off wifi internet sharing or unplug my ethernet and the Mac connects to the local wifi, I all of a sudden have a location.

This seems silly to me. I shouldn't have to only be on wifi as most ethernet connections also have logged locations, either provided by the ISP or whatever. I think this might be an issue with the provider of the network myself and the user is on. Even though my wifi is broadcast through my mac's ethernet to my iPad, the reason the iPad gets location is because it has a second source of location, the actual GPS chip (like the iPhone from the poster). And since the issue seems to be with the ISP (work network well locked down in my case), it seems there may not be anything the poster can do to turn it on.

You might try looking for any specific ports the location services on Mac use, or see if there is anything your ISP/network is blocking.

Mar 13, 2014 4:17 AM in response to divjyot_sngh

I have had this problem myself on my Mac mini, and MacBook Pro. If I go into my iCloud settings in System Preferences, and then toggle Find My Mac on and off, the service starts working again... for a few days. I've seen this happen no matter where I am with my MacBook Pro. This service is totally useless if it is going to shut it self off all the time. It's no my ISP. It's not my wireless network. This is an iCloud bug.

Mar 18, 2014 2:58 PM in response to divjyot_sngh

I also want to bump this issue: MBP late 2011, 10.9.2

In icloud find my devices- my macbook pro is showing online, no location availible.

I have date & time preferences selected to set automatically- but I always receive the message "unable to determine location at this time"

Location services on.

Find my Mac- selected.

What is this issue? I've read everthing (as far as I can tell) from support.

Has anyone got any idea about this?

find my mac not showing mac location, but its online

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.