Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Crashes in iOS7 on iPad - Memory Issue?

Hi,

I run a website called Good Run Guide (www.goodrunguide.co.uk), which is used by tens of thousands of people every month. One of the key features on our site is a route mapping tool (http://www.goodrunguide.co.uk/RoutePlanner.asp). Since the release of iOS7 we have received numerous reports from our users saying that Safari crashes within a few seconds of using our route mapping tool. The problem is very easy to reproduce.

We have never experienced any such problems before with previous releases of iOS and the tool works fine in all the major desktop browsers.

Researching this online, there appears to be a view that iOS7 places significantly reduced memory limits on applications and that this is likely to be the cause of the problem. Obviously it reflects very badly on Apple that something that works in all major browsers and previous releases of iOS, crashes in iOS7 - our only option for the moment is to advise our users to use alternative devices or defer upgrading to iOS7 until the problem is resolved.

Can anyone from Apple confirm the cause of the problem and advise when it is likely to be fixed?

John

iPad, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Oct 17, 2013 5:41 AM

22 replies

Oct 30, 2013 9:49 PM in response to GoodRunGuide

You aren't alone. It isn't just Safari. I have had it in Chrome too on both my iPhone and iPad. I added to their pile of complaints just like you. The workaround is apparently to buy a new phone or ipad, to the delight of Apple. There was a NY Times article written about this and the possbility that Apple wants to encourage people to have to buy new devices in order to accomodate their software. I have liked their products very much up until IOS 7

Nov 7, 2013 8:13 PM in response to GoodRunGuide

I work for a web based company, in last couple of weeks we have received large number of complaints from our client saying that a particular part of our website causes the browser to crash. We tried clearing cache, browsing history and every possible data including closing every application and restarting the device. After which they are able to load the particular webpage but its very jittery and you can hardly scroll down.

We had decided to buy Ipad and give away on Christmas to our client, BUT TO APPLES DELIGHT ITS NOT HAPPENING NOW.

NOT IMPRESSED with new upgrade. Older versions seemed to be working fine.

Nov 9, 2013 4:04 AM in response to 7itan

I raised a Bug Report for this with Apple (ref: 15250706) but they have come back saying it is a duplicate of another bug report which is already closed (ref: 14914802)! I can't work out how to find out what Bug Report 14914802 is and why it has been closed and it doesn't come up when I search for it. Can anyone help? I've replied back to Apple asking the same question too.

As a number of you have said, websites that have previously worked fine on every web browser available have stopped working in iOS7, so this is clearly a major flaw in iOS7. The crash logs that Apple asked me for showed that it was definitely a memory issue, so I can only assume that Apple has released an operating system that is simply too big for the devices it is intended to run on. I'm not sure what else we can do to get this addressed.

Nov 15, 2013 5:04 PM in response to GoodRunGuide

I am having the exact same issue, and did the same thing and got the same dumb duplicate entry. And I dont know what to do from here, I took it a step further and chatted with apple support which was a deadend, they had no idea what I was talking about. i just hope someone from apple sees this, oh and yea i just downloaded iOS 7.0.4 and still nothing.

Safari Crashes in iOS7 on iPad - Memory Issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.