Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 5 won't update or download new apps

Just recently I realized that my Iphone 5 will not update or download new apps. I have tried reseting my password, reseting my phone, plugging it in my computer, and restored it from the computer. All it does is ask for my password and that's it just never downloads. I don't know what to do. It does this for the updates as well just asks for the password and then nothing happens.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Feb 19, 2014 4:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2017 7:30 PM

My iPhone 5s will not update adds or download an new ones. I'm downloading free apps and It keeps asking me to sing in with my password. When I do it asks me to update my payment method. But all my stuff is up to date. And it says "payment failed" ???

57 replies

Feb 21, 2014 12:11 PM in response to cassidurr

Hello Cassidurr,

It sounds like you are unable to use your APple ID and paswsord to download new apps, or iOS updates. I would next recommend signing out of your account in Settings > iTunes and App Stores. Then close all the running apps on the device:

iOS: Force an app to close

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5137

Double-click the Home button.

Swipe left or right until you have located the app you wish to close.

Swipe the app up to close it.

When you have done that restart the phone and try again:

iOS: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1430

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care,

Sterling

Jul 15, 2014 5:13 AM in response to cassidurr

i found this frm a post last year and it worked for me :----

this is not phone or OS problem . its only your router DNS transfer function problem

I have resolved the problem by myself. I just figured out that the problem due to the DNS transfer function in my router. If I set the iPhone 4S to use the DNS server as 192.168.1.1 which is also the ip address of my router it will have the problem until I set the DNS to some common DNS service, such as 8.8.8.8 from Google. I think it is the problem of compatibiliy between the iOS and the router.

GOTO SETTINGS>>WI-FI>>click on informatio button(i) of your network>> change DNS to 8.8.8.8>> return

all the best........🙂🙂

Aug 14, 2014 1:18 PM in response to cassidurr

Sorry I am new to forums, so I dont know if it's too late to post a solution. This happened to my brother and what fixed it was setting the date and time to automatic.

Go to Settings > General Settings> Date and Time

Then make sure it is set to automatic.

There used to be a message that would tell you to do this for the ipod touch, but I guess they removed it. I hope that works.

Iphone 5 won't update or download new apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.