Previous 1 2 3 4 Next 59 Replies Latest reply: Sep 12, 2014 2:21 AM by Happy Clappy Hippy
rambo77581 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Shortly after I updated my iPhone 4 (on AT&T network) to iOS 7.1.1, I started getting "storage almost full" messages popping up. When I checked the available storage under settings, I saw that  it was indeed down to 0. After synching to iTunes, I saw that the "other" category of data was taking up well over half of my 8GB of storage. After some experimenting, I noticed that it seems to be related to running the music app.When I run Music, the available storage shrinks quickly and has nothing to do with the actual size of the music files (it's the "other" files that take up room).

I've completely restored the phone from backup and this hasn't helped the situation. What's going on here?

• wasteofaces Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have this exact issue.

• MC Turbo Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

Same issue over here on multiple iOS devices, conducted reset and restore multiple times now, after a couple of hours the devices run full again.

• rambo77581 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I ended taking mine to the Apple "genius bar". They claim to never have seen this issue. They did a complete reset, and didn't use a backup. Still had the same problem! The "crash log" shows lots of "icloud sych" crashes. I wonder if this is causing the problem?

Looks to me like a bug in iOS 7.1.1! Time for Apple to fix this!

I would agree with that observation. I have created a few screen shots to document the speed the storage space disappears. In less than one hour almost three GBs "magically" were lost without any activity on the iPad. I also noticed this to happen once iTunes Match was activated, so your assumption with iCloud may be right ... Glad to hear btw, the same problem occurs without using backups, this means that the originating data on the device is not corrupt ... So, time for Apple to go and fix this, indeed!

IMG_0183.PNGIMG_0188.PNG

Thanks! I should have also mentioned that it's happening on my iPad as well as iPhone, which is more evidence for an iOS 7.1.1 problem. I don't recall this happening before on 7.1.

Is there any way to back out to 7.1?

I am not sure there is a way back to 7.1 And this definitely didn't happen in iOS7.1 - looks like we are trapped for the time being until Apple provides for a fix ...

• Hoppyfrog Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same here. all fine until I start the music app, then i drop from 8GB free to 6GB, then 5 etc until i have nothing left.

A phone restart fixes it until I accidentally use music again.

I'm hoping a fix is on its way, quickly.

• echo-101 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I am having this issue as well on a 32 gig iPhone 4S. Started having it with the iOS 7.1.1 update as well. Hadn't made the connection with the Music app, but I haven't been running that app since Sunday and I had to restart the iPhone on Monday due to this issue. Currently showing 19.3 gigs free which sounds about right. I use iTunes Match so maybe that is part of the problem. I usually download the songs I want to hear via WiFi to help keep my bandwidth usage low.

After you run Music, go to settings, General, about, diagnostics & usage, diagnostics and usage data. You will see lots and lots of "iCloud synch" crashes. I suspect it is these crashes eating up the memory. I don't run Music anymore (I use Pandora or Spotify) and have no problems.

BTW - I've seen this behavior whether I'm streaming off the cloud or have downloaded onto my iPhone.

Does anyone know how to make Apple aware of this so they can fix it?

I checked the Apple website if there is a way to report "bugs" but it seems that as a consumer you can only report faulty devices and make requests for getting online/onsite support primarily for usability issues, nevertheless I will keep searching and keep the forum here posted.

Further I can confirm the vast amount of "iCloud sync" crashes in the diagnostics and usage data.

• david hyde2 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Just to let you know I am  having this problem on my iPhone 4 and im pretty sure on my iPad 2 as well.

I use iTunes match.

Is the only option at this stage to wait?

Is there no way of deleting all the 'other' storage that appears when you view the phone in iTunes?

Cheers,

You can by restoring the phone from a full backup via iTunes, that will reduce the 'other' storage however as soon as you start using iTunes Match the storage clogs up again. Not sure if a 'reset' of the phone has the same impact, have not tried that yet.

Soft reset actually clears the other storage, however as soon as you run the Music application (and iTunes Match) the other storage runs full again.

• david hyde2 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Yes I have just done this and my storage is up by 2 gb on my iphone.

Do we have any idea what the music app is storing to take up storage again? I guess if you did you'd tell us to be fair, but worth asking I guess.

So I suppose if you wanted to keep the storage up you could turn off iTunes match on the phone and wait for an update...?

I'm going to the apple store tomorrow so may have some other answers.

Thanks,

P.S - I cannot belive they have removed the option to delete albums and artists. Such a ball ache now to delete music. It's a disgrace.

Previous 1 2 3 4 Next