Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

quicktime plugin missing from Google Chrome

I was not able to watch videos on the Apple website because it said I did not have quicktime installed. However, when I went to "Enable" quicktime in my Google Chrome settings, the quicktime plugin was not even in the plugin list. I have reset my browser settings, cleared my history/cache, uninstalled and reinstalled Google Chrome. I am able to watch the Apple video in Safari, but not in Chrome. When I click on "install quicktime," from the Apple website, it says that Quicktime will be automatically updated with software updates and my computer is up to date. I have also made updated my Chrome browser.

Please advise on how to add the quicktime plugin to chrome.

Thanks.

Posted on Sep 10, 2014 9:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2014 10:18 AM

Having the same problem with Chrome, running version 39.0.2171.65 on a Macbook Pro 15" Late 2013. The Quicktime plugin will not appear in chrome://plugins no matter what I've attempted. Seemingly worked fine the other day. Since discovering the problem I've tried the following with no success:

-Full uninstalls (several times) including any Chrome preference files

-Upgrading to latest Chrome Beta

-Using Chromium (same problem in that app)

-Manually placing the quicktime.plugin file into Internet Plugins folder within App Contents

There's no manual override to force the plugin into Chrome, either on Apple's or Google's end. Seems like this should be fixable but I'm stumped. Would really love some fresh ideas to try!

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2014 10:18 AM in response to Car.

Having the same problem with Chrome, running version 39.0.2171.65 on a Macbook Pro 15" Late 2013. The Quicktime plugin will not appear in chrome://plugins no matter what I've attempted. Seemingly worked fine the other day. Since discovering the problem I've tried the following with no success:

-Full uninstalls (several times) including any Chrome preference files

-Upgrading to latest Chrome Beta

-Using Chromium (same problem in that app)

-Manually placing the quicktime.plugin file into Internet Plugins folder within App Contents

There's no manual override to force the plugin into Chrome, either on Apple's or Google's end. Seems like this should be fixable but I'm stumped. Would really love some fresh ideas to try!

Nov 27, 2014 5:23 AM in response to Car.

Yup, same for me.

Late 2012 Mac Mini running Yosemite 10.10.1

Worked up until two days ago, Safari, Firefox all fine. Chrome insists that Quicktime is not present. First noticed on the ITunes Movie Trailers site.

I use Chrome almost 100 % of the time and hope that this gets resolved soon.

Also tried deleting Chrome fully and re-installing, deleting local cache settings for Chrome, nothing helps.

Nov 27, 2014 11:33 AM in response to dn2004

After a bit more research, it's sounding like this may not be fixable unless Apple decides to release a 64-bit quicktime plugin. Double check the version of Chrome you're on, I'm running 64-bit which is not compatible with 32-bit qt. Doesn't sound like something Apple is currently working on.

QuickTime 64-bit Chrome Plugin

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=409460

Nov 28, 2014 10:38 AM in response to letsplayfilm

I am getting the error message "QuickTime Player is required to display some elements on this page." iTunes content no longer plays because QuickTime can no longer be loaded into Google Chrome. This problem first occurred today (11/27/2014) when trying to create and view iTunes Playlist Widgets (which are similar to the old iMix playlists). I have reported the problem to PHG – Performance Horizon Group – which handles the iTunes Affiliates Program. This ruins the user experience at my www.topcatholicsongs.com web site for those who are using the new 64-bit Mac version of Google Chrome version 39.0.2171.71 (which is silently updated from the 32-bit version without warning the user). I look forward to a swift resolution of the issue by Apple.

Nov 28, 2014 2:24 PM in response to Car.

I reinstalled Chrome 38.0.2125.122 from a recent backup and the QuickTime plugin is active again. Whew.

I also disabled Chrome’s automatic updates using the following Terminal command:

defaults write com.google.Keystone.Agent checkInterval 0

Note that if you select the “About Google Chrome” menu item, the update mechanism will be activated anyway.

This issue has been reported as a regression on the Chromium development boards.

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=437565

Nov 30, 2014 10:22 PM in response to Grant Hutchinson

I'm grateful I came across your contribution to this sudden Chrome/QT issue!

I visited sites which referenced older versions of Chrome, hoping they would allow QT plugin to stay in.

But every time I downloaded an older version, with an older version number, the file turned out to be the same new version - wierd.

I want to try the version you have and if it's not imposing, could you make a cd of it? - I'll PP shipping charges to help.

By the way, my Mac's OSX is 10.7.5 if that's helpful at all - Please let me know - I'll respect your decision either way.

Grant HutchinsonNov 28, 2014 2:24 PM Re: quicktime plugin missing from Google Chrome
Re: quicktime plugin missing from Google Chromein response to Car.

I reinstalled Chrome 38.0.2125.122 from a recent backup and the QuickTime plugin is active again. Whew.

I also disabled Chrome’s automatic updates using the following Terminal command:

defaults write com.google.Keystone.Agent checkInterval 0

Note that if you select the “About Google Chrome” menu item, the update mechanism will be activated anyway.

This issue has been reported as a regression on the Chromium development boards.

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=437565

quicktime plugin missing from Google Chrome

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.