Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage group turned into a Group MMS after installing iOS 8

Just as the title says.. The replies I get are iMessage but I can only send as texts.

It's only for this one certain group.. other groups are all iMessage groups.

I've tried everything from resetting the network settings to turning group messaging on and off.

I've also turned my iPhone 5 on and off and nothing seems to work.

Does anyone else have this problem?

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 2:14 PM

34 replies

Sep 17, 2014 6:51 PM in response to aldrxn

I Am having the same problem. I have noticed that it is only when I am sending messages to a group imessage, it sends as a text message. This makes the entire group thread send as a MMS. When other people in the same thread send messages, it is received as an imessage but nothing I send goes through as an imessage in the group thread.

Sep 18, 2014 6:49 AM in response to aldrxn

I'm having the exact same issue, but it's not even with every group message thread. The problem exists for me with just one thread in particular. I can text all the individual participants of the thread on iMessage but when I try to use the group thread I am unable to send it as an iMessage. I still receive all the messages over iMessage but I can only send outbound as MMS.

I tried disabling and re-enabling iMessage, turning my phone off and on, and turning the antenna on and off to no avail. I don't have problems with any other existing or new iMessage threads yet with either a single person or multiple people. I did not have this issue before updating.

iPhone 4S, iOS8.

Sep 18, 2014 12:19 PM in response to aldrxn

This worked for me...go to Settings/Messages and click on Send & Receive. You should see two sections, "You can be reached by iMessage at..." and "Start New Conversations From" - for me at least, both sections have my phone number and Apple ID associated email address. In the first section "You can be reached by iMessage at..." touch the email address, deselecting it. My group messages became iMessages again after that. Hope this helps someone else!

iMessage group turned into a Group MMS after installing iOS 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.