Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5s stuck in recovery mode

Hi

I just tried to update my iPhone 5s to IOS 8 using iTunes. During the process there was a problem and iTunes gave me an error message saying the update had failed. Now my phone is displaying 'connect to iTunes' screen with a red iTunes icon. When I plug my phone into my pc I get a warning message saying 'iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes'. I click ok and then click the recover button. iTunes then proceeds to extract the software but on completion of extraction I get an error message telling me 'The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (3014).'

I have tried this several times and get exactly the same error every time. I have searched the internet for a solution and found this article...

Resolve iOS update and restore errors

I followed every step to the letter several times but get exactly the same problem when I try to use iTunes to recover my iPhone. This is really frustrating as I need to use my phone. Any help appreciated. After searching the internet regarding this issue it seems that there are many many people experiencing the exact same issue.

Many thanks

Sam

iPhone 5s, iOS 8, Updating to iOS 8

Posted on Sep 18, 2014 6:15 AM

33 replies

May 24, 2017 12:10 AM in response to AlvinAquino

AlvinAquino wrote:

I am not sure if you already solved this problem, nevertheless I would like to share the solution I discovered after working on a colleague's phone for almost 10 hours. Download and install Wondershare Dr.Fone for iOS. Launch the software and it will prompt you to connect your iPhone. Automatically it will detect if your phone is in the normal mode or not. Allow it to revert your phone in the normal mode.

Credits to this webpage: http://www.mobiledic.com/ios-topics/fix-iphone-stuck-in-recovery-mode.html

I have tried several suggestions from this thread and currently, this is the only one that works on my iPhone 6 with iOS 10. I tried to use iTunes to restore the iPhone but it refuses to do that.

Thanks

Jun 27, 2017 11:17 PM in response to MonkeyDr

1. Get Out of Recovery Mode Manually

Step 1. Press and hold the "Home" and "Power" button at the same time until the device shuts off completely.

Step 2. Release the "Power" button but keep holding the "Home" button for about 10 seconds.

Step 3. Release the "Home" and then press the "Power" button to restart your iOS device.

Your device should be back to normal now. You can then set up the device.

2. Get Out of Recovery Mode in iTunes

Step 1. Connect your iPhone to the computer via lightning cable.

Step 2. Then open iTunes. After iTunes detects your iPhone, you'll see the message saying that your iPhone is in recovery mode and you need to restore it. Click "OK" to restore it.

Step 3. iTunes will then begin to restore your device to factory state. You can get back the data if you have a backup.

Check more details from the guide iPhone stuck in recovery mode.

Sep 18, 2014 3:20 PM in response to MonkeyDr

Thankyou for all of your responses. I finally managed to sort my problem out. I tried many things that I found from searching the internet to no avail. I am using a pc which has a dual boot with an old Windows xp OS (I had tried 3 different pcs with win7 to no avail). I booted into xp and tried from there. Initially I had no luck but after clearing all of the temp files and doing a clean install of iTunes, restarting the ipod & apple mobile device services several times I got iTunes to see the phone. I did a restore from there and the iPhone booted up. It had updated the os to IOS 8 too. I then rebooted my pc into win7 and installed a backup from my iPhone I did before trying to install IOS 8 in the first place. Now it is all working fine. I have no idea how or why this worked but it did!

Sep 19, 2014 1:32 AM in response to MonkeyDr

Don't worry! All you need is ReiBoot. It is a free iPhone reboot software program which allows you to enter and exit from Recovery Mode instantly, easier than learning 3-4 steps manually with iTunes to do so.

REIBOOT Step 1: connnect your iphone 5s to PC/Mac. Step 2: Click Exit Recovery Mode Button

then you can easily get out the ios 8 update cause stuck in red itunes logo recovery mode.

iPhone 5s stuck in recovery mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.