Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you change KM to Miles in health section on IOS 8

I know it's not a huge issue but is there a way to change from KM to Miles on the "Walking + Running distance" section of the new Health section?

Thanks

iPhone 5s, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 18, 2014 7:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2017 1:37 PM

Simple...

Open Health on the iPhone and follow these steps:

• Select Heath Data
  • Select Fitness
  • Select Walking and Running Distance

Change the last option in the list—UNIT—from km to mi

35 replies

Nov 22, 2014 8:43 AM in response to MurraysMic

Sadly, whilst measuring in miles seems to be a logical thing I think that Apple here is just following the letter of UK Law...

The Units of Measurement Regulations 1995 require that all measuring devices used in trade or retail shall display measurements in metric quantities.

It would be nice though if they allowed the user the option of reverting to imperial measurements.

Dec 6, 2014 11:44 PM in response to colinmp

You can't change KM to miles - Apple have to follow the legal requirements set out in the 1995 legislation as they iPhone is a measuring device. Sadly we are in the silly position of having legislation stating that weights and measures must be metric yet the country continues to display said weights and measures in imperial on signs.

I know that other apps provide measurements in imperial but they are technically not following the legislation - as they are not as big as Apple then the chances are this will not be noticed and no enforcement action will be taken against them.

It's not sensible I know. I was brought up knowing no other way of measurement other then metric yet this country insists of doing distance measurements in miles still.

We really need to just fully adopt the system we were supposed to have adopted over thirty years ago!

Dec 9, 2014 6:15 AM in response to John Neilson

Thank you John for your reply.

Other apps do indeed provide measurements in metric but allow us to choose imperial.

I would be surprised that legislation would prevent us from measuring for personal use in imperial.

Vehicles sold in the UK have speedos measuring speed in imperial with a metric scale as well. Distance is recorded in miles and we follow signs that indicate distance in miles and speed in MPH. Likewise I use well known brands of navigational devices that allow me to measure speed and distances in imperial units.

Therefore I fail to see why an app for personal use, should not give the option to change units of measurement into imperial should we choose. I dislike being forced to measure in units that I am not used to, I feel this is Apple not understanding their customer base properly.

How do you change KM to Miles in health section on IOS 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.