Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exchange email not working with IOS 8.

I have an IPHONE 5s, I downloaded IOS 8 yesterday at 11 am and that was the last time my work email came through. I use the stock mail app on the IPHONE and am logged into my companies exchange server. Worked before IOS 8 with IOS 7 but after the update. Nothing. Is there a planned fix for this? As this is my work phone I rely on this app for emails. I contacted support this morning and after going through the motions of logging in and out, and back in again nothing. They said at the end they did not know and to contact my companies tech department. Although this would not be my companies tech issue has nothing has changed other than the upgrade in IOS. Anyone have any ideas here? Thank you.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 18, 2014 7:37 PM

28 replies

Sep 19, 2014 6:35 AM in response to lifted96

UPDATE: Reading kussaued's thread gave me an idea regarding the wifi issue. I closed Mail, turned off Wifi and then opened Mail again. This forced the connection over 4G. Amazingly, it immediately connected to the account. Subsequently enabling Wifi saw Mail working just fine.

iOS 8 has some funky things going on, e.g., it took my notification centre weather update a forced 4G connection to begin working, too. Something to do with Location Services not figuring out where you are initially over Wifi.

Anyway, try forcing your Mail to connect over a non-Wifi connection. It may fix the problem for you.

Sep 21, 2014 10:02 AM in response to lifted96

I had a similar problem, where the Exchange account would add just fine, all √ marks, and then never sync any mail, contacts, or calendar events.

Here is how I was able to resolve it.

1. Delete the iPhone account.

Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars -> Exchange account -> Delete Account

2. Reset Network Settings
    1. Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings
    2. The phone will reboot.
  3. After the phone reboots
    1. Don't add any WiFi networks, until after you set up your exchange account again
    2. Set up your Exchange account again
      1. Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars -> Add Account
      2. fill in all your settings, make sure you see all the √ marks
  4. After that, your account should sync up.
  5. Once you've verified that the Exchange account is working, then you can add your wifi network back in, and it should keep working.

fingers crossed!

Good luck.

Oct 8, 2014 12:04 PM in response to rccharles

So, I think I figured it out. It seems to be a bug in IOS 8.0.2. Here goes...

In “Settings”, under “Fetch New Data”, it used to be that the Exchange account defaulted to syncing ONLY the Inbox. Now it defaults to syncing the both the Inbox AND the Sent folders. The bug, as I see it, is in the fact that in addition to this new default - it now WON’T let you turn off syncing the Sent folder. If you go in and uncheck it, and then go out and back in – it’s checked again. Furthermore, regardless of whether you change the setting for this account to be “fetch” (rather than “push”), it still tries to sync the Sent folder. So, if under the account setting you have the “Mail Days to Sync” set to “no Limit”, what’s happening is the phone is busy syncing EVERYTHING from your Sent folder (for me this is over 170k items!!!). So, the phone (and the Exchange server) are so busy dealing with all of these requests that it APPEARS to be locked up when in actuality it’s just taking a really, really, really long time to respond back for your Inbox requests (ie: this is why it loads the headers but takes forever to load the body of the email once you drill down into it). This is why the
download syncing spinning wheel up on top is constantly going and the battery is getting drained so fast.

So until Apple fixes this, here’s my workaround:

Make sure your “Mail Days to Sync” is a small enough time period (ie: a week or two) that your Sent folder sync gets done quickly after setting up your account (ie: maybe a couple minutes). Once the Sent folder sync is done, the spinning wheel up on top should go away and your response time (and push emails) should work fine again. It did for me.

I’m curious to see if anyone else finds this works for them. Please let me know… And good luck!

Oct 14, 2014 9:29 AM in response to devilspoison

So my issue is a litle different. My mail is syncing just fine but I can't get the calendars to sync. If I click "push" then what I enter on the phone shows up on my Outlook desktop but what I enter on the desktop doesn't show up on the phone. If I click "fetch" then what I enter on the desktop shows up on the phone but entries made on the phone don't show up on the desktop. I can't seem to check both push and fetch.....am I missing something?

Nov 13, 2014 8:03 AM in response to tck1000

Strangely enough this worked for me.

Another strange thing I experienced this morning was I asked Siri to set a reminder for today when I get home, and Siri said she didn't know who I was???? she goes on to say "I would have to select a contact from my address book in order for her to complete my request". Last I used Siri for this was a week ago, and now she forgets who I am, really.

iOS 8.1 one is not something Apple should be proud of, I'm becoming more and more embarrassed by own an iPhone 5s. 😟

Also iOS 8 has greatly slowed my 5s down. I'm so sorry I updated.

Thank you tck1000 for a work around

Dec 10, 2014 7:26 PM in response to lifted96

I was getting all the approved ticks that my account was setup properly but still no emails. I did all the possible tricks with my iphone 6 OS 8.1.2. Other users had no issues setting up their email account on iphone 5C.

This fixed my issue, it was my AD account. The creator of my AD account didn't do it correctly.

Are you trying to setup a new ActiveSync device?

If so, please check the following in your active directory:

• Open theActive Directory Users and Computersand go to “View” and select “Advanced Features
  • After that, find the user who is not able to use the ActiveSync, and double-click him, and go to “Security” tab then click “Advanced”…
  • Then just check the ckeck-box “Include inheritable permissions from this object’s parent” and clickOKto close all the other windows…
  • After this, the user should be able to connect to the server using ActiveSync with no problems

This was my case.

Dec 17, 2014 8:37 AM in response to lifted96

I upgraded from a 5s to an iphone 6. I activated it and then updated the IOS then did a restore from my 5s from yesterday. I created all of my email account and downloaded all of my email up to 3pm yesterday then just quit working. I noticed at about 10pm last night I was getting no company email as that was very odd for a normal day for me. So I went online and sure enough I had 40 emails sitting there, yet my phone had not downloaded any of them. So I went in and deleted my password and re-entered it and it reconnected and got all the check boxes.

I then went and manually pulled down in my email to update it and nothing happened. It didn't download my email or anything. So I deleted my account and recreated it and now it connects and gives the check boxes as if it is connected and working fine, but now I have no email at all and it doesn't download anything. To top it off now I have lost 3/4 of my contacts, ones that shouldn't even be associated with outlook or exchange. WTH?

Would appreciate any help anyone could give. I am trying to get someone from our mobility group to help me and do the AD check listed above, but I am not hopeful that will fix anything...

Jan 5, 2015 8:40 PM in response to madmiguel

madmiguel wrote:

Ok I just found the solution to my problem on another thread and this worked. Not sure why, but it did. Go to settings >> General >> Reset >> Reset Network Settings. Once your phone reboots it connects and starts picking up everything....

This did not work for my client and me due to that "Cannot Send Mail -- An error occurred while delivering this message." [OK button]. So, we had to delete and make a new Exchange account in iOS (didn't let me add and keep the old one/1 too). Dang Apple and their bugs.

Exchange email not working with IOS 8.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.