Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8 Safari Problem

I'm using iPad mini 16 GB Wi-Fi model. So far I found 3 problem in Safari of iOS 8.

Using Safari can't upload image from Photos app to image hosting. I'm also found a thread someone who also complain cannot upload his image to Facebook. So I suspect everything that including upload image is got same problem.

Copy image have different behaviour. OK... this is bit hard to describe so I will just giving example.

Here is image with no URL hyperlink so you just can't open this on new tab. The only option is save image or copy :

User uploaded file

Here is image with hyperlink, you can open in new tab and also copy link.

User uploaded file

I know iOS 7 Safari had limitation but at least not so crippled in iOS 8. In iOS 7 I could copy then place it on address bar, paste it to get the URL http://blabla.eww/filename.jpg. Now in iOS 8 I'm hoping the image have URL hyperlink, but sadly most isn't. Of course I could save it then upload to image hosting. Then back again to first problem, can't upload image from Safari, cheers. I hope Apple add copy image address, same with Safari desktop. Even if they can't bring back some behaviour of iOS 7. I really need this copy image address thing.

There is also some rare case Safari hung up in typing area of forum/image board when I'm trying to copy paste and delete a word. While I say rare this actually happen 3 times and I haven't using iOS 8 more than 72 hours.

I haven't try other browser. If someone knew other browser working fine in iOS 8, let me know.

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 8:51 AM

44 replies

Sep 19, 2014 9:49 AM in response to omega8719

I'm having the same issue with IOS 8, the uploading issue isn't just limited to Facebook it's also happening on other community websites when using the Safari browser; I did notice that Google Chrome's browser for iPad will allow me to upload photos on FB, but if I add text, it crashes.

I certainly hope they fix this, because this will be the deciding factor as to whether or not I purchase the iPhone 6 plus; I enjoy having the freedom to upload pics outside of using a websites often restrictive APP.

Sep 20, 2014 4:38 AM in response to omega8719

Photo uploads from IOS 8's Safari also fail with a " no server found" error when uploading them to ebay listings or ebay messaging. I also not that web sites will no longer play embeded QuickTime streams. Try this site in your Brouwer and you will no longer see the > play symbol. yet both still work fine if you use the Chrome browser app. The site is www.memoryradio.be if you want to test it. Also everything still works fine in the last IOS 7.1.2. Fails IOS 8 on all iDevices. So it seems a Safari problem. Even tried to upload image from this reply page and it will not work on IOS 8 Safari either.

Sep 20, 2014 4:49 AM in response to omega8719

Its the same for me and many othes that I talk to. Using safari and after upgrading to IOS8 on both iphone 5s and Ipad mini I am unable to upload photos to any website including ebay, facebook and other community websites.

The upload seems to start but never finishes. On two websites I got a 500 internal service error

I asked one website to check their server log for my upload request and they said the server had an error message:

[Thu Sep 18 07:12:10 2014] [error] [client 96.60.204.197] (70007)The timeout specified has expired: Error reading request entity data, referer: http://www.websitename.com/cgi-bin/board-post.cgi?action=posting_upload_form

I sort of suspect it is an issue between the browser sending the specific info needed to the server

Sep 20, 2014 8:46 AM in response to omega8719

I am also having an issue uploading to any site from iOS 8 from my iPad. I have tried ebay, facebook, Craigslist, and a couple discussion groups to which I contribute often. In all cases it is acting like it is uploading but never gets past that stage.

Another issue is the auto text function has quite a few issues, changing words in a less logical fashion than the ios7 did, capitalizing incorrect words, and for some odd reason will not auto cap the personal pronoun 'I' much of the time.

Apple, please fix these issues ASAP!

Sep 20, 2014 10:56 AM in response to It_caveman

Thank you. I'm using it for uploading.

Honestly I'm prefer Safari because more familiar even though Chrome also using Web Kit.

I hope a lot of people will send feedback at https://www.apple.com/feedback/ about this problem so Apple knew and fixing it ASAP, less than a month.

Please tell anyone who got this problem to send feedback.

Oh also this problem about text copy paste in Safari. It didn't effect document or text editor such as Simple Note.

But in Safari this happen in certain website, in type form. Not all website only this and I forgot which one. In iOS 7 I didn't have this problem.

http://youtu.be/FRjahZx8IkQ?list=UU2pMX_MTnOL8F1CsMW5U9yg

Sep 21, 2014 2:02 PM in response to omega8719

How disappointing is this? I can't upload photos using Safari since upgrading to iOS 8. I've tried several different web sites and the upload starts then hangs. After reading this thread I even tried downloading Google Chrome but it crashes as soon as I try to upload any pictures. It seems like a pretty fundamental thing not to get right... Would be nice to hear from the iOS 8 testing team.

Sep 21, 2014 3:21 PM in response to Dindrane

I finally gave up and rolled back to 7.1.2. Just to much odd stuff like broken Apps not to mention the Safari and Camera issues. I ma posting what I did here like I did on the other forum page. The only caveat is on when using iTunes on a Windows PC you must rename the download file with the .ipsw extension as it will down load as a .zip. You do not unzip it just rename it. Follow the rest of the directions an you will be fine. I am told this may not be available much longer so if you want to revert do it soon:

It_caveman Sep 20, 2014 6:18 PM Re: Problems and issues after updating to iOS 8 (iPhone 5S)

Re: Problems and issues after updating to iOS 8 (iPhone 5S) in response to MyBlueSky

Follow directions carefully to return to IOS 7.1.2, IT WORKED FOR ME!!!!!!!!!

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-downgrade-ios-8-to-ios-7.1.2/

Sep 21, 2014 5:03 PM in response to omega8719

after updating to ios 8 on my ipad mini, i also experienced issues with Safari. Someone on another thread had mentioned that they downloaded the Puffin Browser from the App store. I decided to give it a try and I'm really happy with it. Right away there was a signifigant difference in speed and appears to work quite well. Atleast until there is an ios 8 update, i will continue to use Puffin. Hope this is helpful!

Sep 21, 2014 6:18 PM in response to Dindrane

I got an email from Apple support saying the pulled my response in the forum & that I should test on my own machine before posting??? I did it on my own device and rolling back to 7.1.2 was the solution for me. I had some success with the Chrome browser as well but there were to many other issues. Maybe IOS 8 should have been tested properly before release instead of the way it is? Safari issues, broken Apps, etc. I finally gave up and rolled it back after I fought the update on my own iPad and iPhone. Thanks for the response thought Apple Support, at least I know you are looking at the forums.

Follow directions carefully to return to IOS 7.1.2, IT WORKED FOR ME!!!!!!!!!

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-downgrade-ios-8-to-ios-7.1.2/

iOS 8 Safari Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.