Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Match Playlist Folder Structure Wrong On New iPhone

So I recently received the iPhone 6, and set up my account. i subscribe to iTunes Match and have my playlists structured within folders (Live playlists, Movie Soundtracks, etc).

On my MBA, it shows correctly. On my old iPhone, it shows correctly. On my iPad it shows correctly. On my iPhone 6, however, it's completely screwed up. Some playlists are top level, nested folders are top level, some folders have the correct playlists. I tried a few things:

I turned iTunes Match off and on in the phone.

I did a restore on the phone.

I set up the phone again as a brand new phone, and turned Match on again.

I deleted folders and playlists on my Mac.

I recreated folders on my Mac.

Nothing has worked. I contacted Apple Support via chat, and the tech and I tried some things but nothing worked. I'm getting a call from Support this evening.

So I put this out there, has anyone ever seen this before? Thanks.

Some additional info: I did upgrade my old phone and iPad to iOS 8. Both still worked fine (I wiped the old phone however, selling it soon).

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 21, 2014 9:22 AM

35 replies

Sep 29, 2014 7:37 AM in response to Alias Wyvernspur

I have not found a permanent solution, but a work-around that seems to fix the folder structure on the iPhone temporarily is to simply move the playlists (on your mac) out of the folders and then back in (or even between folders).

Any time you move a playlist, it's location quickly updates on the iPhone 6. I have not yet determined what action causes it to revert to the screwed up state.

Sep 30, 2014 4:36 PM in response to Alias Wyvernspur

So far, still no luck. I think he thinks it's something to do with iOS8. But since it's just released, techs are busy. The tech said he'd call me this week just to keep me posted of any news. He did mention, however, that if other people are having the same issue they should contact Applecare. He said the more people who contact Applecare about this problem, the more likely it'll escalate and get resolved quicker.

Oct 7, 2014 9:11 AM in response to Alias Wyvernspur

This solved for me:

SourdoughJosh Sep 29, 2014 7:37 AM

Re: iTunes Match Playlist Folder Structure Wrong On New iPhone in response to Alias Wyvernspur

I have not found a permanent solution, but a work-around that seems to fix the folder structure on the iPhone temporarily is to simply move the playlists (on your mac) out of the folders and then back in (or even between folders).

Any time you move a playlist, it's location quickly updates on the iPhone 6. I have not yet determined what action causes it to revert to the screwed up state.

Oct 16, 2014 8:29 AM in response to luckyfuso

iTunes Match has this problem with almost every iPhone software update. It's unfortunate that they cannot track down the issue. Hopefully this is not indicative of Apple's expertise when it comes to all cloud services. Music, photos and personal data are things that are important to all of us and we spend many hours on custom playlists, personal photo albums and are putting our trust that the work won't just disappear. iCloud drive is another promised feature and it's becoming tougher to trust a new free service when long-standing issues on a paid service cannot be fixed. I want to remain optimistic but so far, iTunes Match is not helping.

On a positive note, the playlists on my Apple TV matches perfectly with my iMac and was working well on my iPhone 5S. The update to iOS 8 on the 5S did NOT cause the playlists to go out of order. I have only seen this issue on new iPhone 6's and iOS 8. Also, moving playlists in and out of folders in iTunes on a Mac seems to be a temporary fix that only lasts as long as you are logged in – Signing out of iTunes Match on iOS and signing back in brings back the problem… which stinks like poo.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.0.2

Oct 18, 2014 10:02 AM in response to Alias Wyvernspur

We are having a huge problem with our iTunes match playlists and folders being out of order on our iPhones. Both my daughter & I bought an iPhone 6 and updated them from iOS 8.0.0 to 8.0.2. My husband updated his older iPhone 5 to iOS 8.0.2 around the same time... before he updated to the new software, his playlists & folders were in perfect order on iTunes match. Now the whole family has ruined iTunes playlists & folders on each of our iPhones! I wish we had known this hazard prior to updating. I did some research before updating, but I didn't read anything about this type of problem' We've spent a CONSDERABLE amount of $$ for two iPhone 6's and invested a LOT of time & effort trying to resolve this... as so many it you have. Now for the first time in years, THIS devout Apple fan is totally fed up with Apple... It's turned SOUR!

Oct 20, 2014 4:19 PM in response to Alias Wyvernspur

I'm having the same issue. My playlists on my iMac (Yosemite) isn't syncing up with either my MBA (Yosemite) iPad (iOS 8) or iPhone 5s (iOS8). This was an issue before I installed Yosemite. Unfortunately I can't recall if this was an issue before I installed iOS8, but I seem to remember that I have had this issue before. Due to not finding a work around or fix, I've resorted to using Spotify instead, as that syncs instantly across my devices.

I dearly hope that Apple are aware of the issue and are looking for a fix.

I'm using iTunes Match on all my devices.

iTunes Match Playlist Folder Structure Wrong On New iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.