Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"could not scan for wireless networks" iphone6 or iOS 8?

new iPhone 6 with iOS 8. Wifi works fine for a few hours and then drops. The wifi connect screen sits there spinning and if I attempt a manual connecation I get the message:

"could not scan for wireless networks"

Only solution so far has been rebooting.

No issues with older devices and iOS 8. Just the iPhone 6.

As this issue seems to come out every time Apple release new hardware I am hoping it's just a bug that will be squashed and as such wanted to bring it up on the forums. Will also report to support.

Posted on Sep 23, 2014 3:18 AM

21 replies

Sep 23, 2014 3:51 AM in response to Uncle Ook

I am having a similar issue but not quite the same - my iPhone 6+ struggles to connect to my wireless ac network (it takes a long time).

Then often when I come back home it will not connect and I get the constant spinning cursor. Like the original poster, I have to reboot to get it to connect.

Connecting to my wireless n network on the same router is instant and rock solid (although obviously much slower).

I am using my Macbook Pro on the ac network on the same router without these issues.

Sep 23, 2014 4:06 AM in response to Uncle Ook

I am having the same issue on my iPhone6. It's hit or miss on whether it will see the WiFi networks in my area. I can turn off Wifi and then turn it back on and it spins trying to locate any networks without any luck until I restart the phone. I usually see about 3+ networks within the area around my house. I've never had any issue seeing any networks quickly in the area on the previous iPhone. Whether or not this is related to the iPhone6 or iOS8, I have no idea.

Sep 23, 2014 5:30 AM in response to ckuan

I don't believe it's a router issue. Once the wifi has dropped the ONLY solution so far is to reboot the iPhone. Rebooting the router makes no difference. I guess you might argue the router is "breaking" the iPhone, but that seems like reaching to me, particularly when every other bit of connected hardware is chugging along quite happily. Common sense suggests the new device is at fault.

Searching Google seems to throw this issue up [q]uite regularly after iPhone releases. So I'm hoping Apple will fix, and quickly.

Sep 27, 2014 5:36 PM in response to Uncle Ook

Uncle Ook wrote:

I don't believe it's a router issue. Once the wifi has dropped the ONLY solution so far is to reboot the iPhone. Rebooting the router makes no difference. I guess you might argue the router is "breaking" the iPhone, but that seems like reaching to me, particularly when every other bit of connected hardware is chugging along quite happily. Common sense suggests the new device is at fault.

Searching Google seems to throw this issue up [q]uite regularly after iPhone releases. So I'm hoping Apple will fix, and quickly.

Have you tried connecting to some free Wi-Fi hotspot or friends' Wi-Fi instead of just your home to isolate the problem?

Also Apple Store offers free Wi-Fi, have you tried there?

Some info here: iOS: Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

Sep 27, 2014 6:20 PM in response to Uncle Ook

Hi Uncle Ook,

From what I've read, other iPhone 6 users have experience this issue too. I've read that by doing these steps it may help resolve your issue:

1. Open Settings
  2. General
  3. Reset
  4. Reset Network Settings
  5. Enter your Passcode if prompted
  6. Tap Reset Network Settings

What this will do is reset your network settings. By doing this we'll reset any issues to default settings that'll help fix your issue by setting the network settings to default settings.

You'll see a series of different screens. This is normal. Just wait until it's completely done. You'll know when it's done when it takes you to the lock screen. You'll need to unlock your iPhone after that and try reconnecting to your wireless network that you were attempting to join. I'm not sure however that these steps will help permanently or temporarily, but I'm sure Apple will fix this issue within the next update that comes out. 🙂 I hope this helps, and if you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Oct 2, 2014 8:54 PM in response to Uncle Ook

Don't listen to router boy. Sounds like a bottom rung Comcast support guy reading from the card.

its absolutely not a router issue. This is a software update that will end up being 8.0.3, heck i'd make it 8.1. There is no need to go to a public hotspot or all the way to an Apple Store, as there are likely 1,000 wifi options between you and an Apple Store, lmao.

its happening on my 6 plus on a superb ac network. It happened at the Apple Store as I was activating it, and on the Mall's pimpin wifi, and on xfinitywifi (cable providers here offer wifi spanning cities that is free by logging in to one's particular provider.

As you are correct in your suspicions, reboot will have to do for now. If it were to pan out as h/w we will end up swapping them, recall type stuff, free case likely just like the 4's that when you held them couldn't operate, the antenna thing.

cheers

Oct 8, 2014 8:50 AM in response to ckuan

This problem is not related to the Access Point.

We're seeing this on iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus on a small office network with multiple access points and I'm seeing the same behavior on my home network. Cisco enterprise switches and Ubiquity access points at the small office, ZyXel gear at home.

Apple needs to fix their stuff and start putting out quality releases again.

Oct 8, 2014 2:31 PM in response to ImEgor

What nonsense. Why don't you bring the iPhone 6 & 6+ back to Apple since you have warranty?

My iPhone 6 can connect to my home cheap router, my 2 sailing clubs which I am a member and also to all my friends' homes.

And recently at the Apple Store, paid a case for my iPhone 6 using the store's Wi-fI.

Oct 8, 2014 8:21 PM in response to ckuan

Are you kidding me? You started out blaming everything but the iPhone (router, firmware, etc..) and now that it is clear people are having problems with Wi-Fi connectivity on their new iPhones you suggest everyone take their phones back to Apple? Not everyone lives down the street of an Apple store.

If you're not going to add anything useful to the resolution, please keep your sailing clubs to yourself.

"could not scan for wireless networks" iphone6 or iOS 8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.