Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5s constant reboot/blue screen of death

I have an iPhone 5s running iOS 8.0.2. Ever since I updated to iOS 8, my phone is constantly shutting down and rebooting itself, lots of times I get the blue screen of death as well. I've had to restore it from a backup on iTunes five times already since iOS 8 launched and nothing seems to fix it. Any solutions?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 9, 2014 9:14 AM

2 replies

Oct 9, 2014 10:38 AM in response to biggitybadd702

Here's a copy/paste of my issues that I posted elsewhere.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----

My phone is a 32gb iPhone 5.

I installed iOS 8 within a day or so of it's release. Everything seemed fine. Eventually, I noticed I wasn't connecting to my cellular network. I did some googling and found others with the same problem. They claimed it was an iOS 8.0.1 problem. I checked and found that iOS 8.0.1 had installed on my phone. One person suggested I reset the network settings. I did.

This is when the real problems started. As soon as I reset the network settings my phone just shut off. When I turned it back on the phone went into an unpleasant loop of black screen to white screen with apple logo, back to black screen... over and over. I eventually put the phone into recovery mode, connected it to iTunes, and restored the phone successfully (Still iOS 8.0.1). The phone seemed fine and I used it normally for the better part of a day till at some point where the phone wasn't even in use, it randomly shut itself off again. Once again, when I turned it on I got the never ending loop of black screen to white apple logo screen. I restored the phone in the same manner a couple times since the initial restore. Sometimes I'd get errors while trying to restore but if I was persistent, eventually the restore would succeed. I looked online and found a thread on the Apple forums with a bunch of people describing these exact symptoms related to iOS 8.0.1.

I figured I'd just have to wait it out till Apple released a new iOS 8 patch. Luckily, it didn't take long. I restored the phone and installed iOS 8.0.2 and figured my problems were over. The phone seemed fine once again, I used it for the better part of a day without any problems.. I was sitting at home watching TV with the phone sitting on the coffee table when out of nowhere, the screen flashed on with the white apple logo.. and the same frustrating loop started again.

It has gone downhill from that point where I'd restore it and it'd be usable for the better part of a day... then I'd restore it and it'd work for a few hours... then I'd restore it and it worked for 30 minutes...

I went to my local Apple store and had an appointment with a tech there. He had no idea that this problem existed.. frankly, he didn't really believe me. He was able to restore it and it appeared to be working fine. After several minutes however, it started the same old decent into nothingness. He took it apart to check for moisture or any other damage and said the phone was in perfect shape. He did a diagnostic and did say that he was seeing some system processes were crashing. His only suggestion at that point was to buy a new phone.

Then we arrive to the present. I cannot even get the phone to restore anymore. I was hoping to be able to revert back to iOS7 but apparently Apple won't allow that. I've tried reverting back to iOS8.0.0 but received various errors every time I try to restore. I've tried restoring to the current version dozens of times now, and iTunes throws errors at me every time it tries to install.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've seen references to a utility called TinyUmbrella. Is that something I can use? I haven't backed my stuff up with it, can I use it to restore without having backed up first?

Has anyone else had similar problems?

Help?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----

It's not an isolated problem.. I've seen dozens of people describing the exact same or extremely similar problems.

Examples:

iphone 5s won't turn on after ios 8.0.2 update

iPhone 5c won't turn on after iOS 8 update

iphone 5s stuck in recovery mode after 8.0.2

I have a really hard time accepting the suggestion that I just have to buy a brand new phone... given that it seems quite obvious that these issues all stem from iOS 8 patches.

Oct 10, 2014 1:50 PM in response to Grimbojones

Something that I talked to Apple Support about yesterday has kind of helped. Not a permanent solution, but maybe it will make life a bit easier until the 8.1 patch comes out in a couple weeks.

Backup your phone to iCloud and restore it as new, then recover the backup from iCloud. Apparently iCloud saves just your apps, photos, text messages, etc but not any update files. It took me a couple hours last night to do while I was watching football, but it's made my phone slightly more stable today. It still shuts itself off sometimes, but hasn't gone into full on restore mode yet and only has to restart itself once or twice before working again.

Like I said, by no means is this a PERMANENT solution, but it might help temporarily.

I also noticed I have had far fewer issues with it after I charge it through my laptop rather than than a wall charger. Might be a coincidence, but it's worth a shot.

iPhone 5s constant reboot/blue screen of death

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.