Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: FileVault stuck on "Encryption Paused"

After upgrading my MPB to Yosemite, I elected to turn on FileVault. In the Security & Privacy panel of System Preferences, the status shows "Encryption paused" and the text under the progress bar reads, "Connect power adapter to resume encryption." Trouble is, I am running from the power adapter!

I have rebooted and tried another power adapter. The battery icon in the menu bar correctly changes from battery to power adapter as I connect and disconnect. However, the encryption status never changes. I have left the machine running overnight with no change.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 7:25 AM

Question marked as Helpful

Oct 1, 2015 12:13 PM in response to netnothing In response to netnothing

I have tried everything online reset nvram, repaired permissions, repaired disk, tried to disable filevault from terminal. none of them worked, I couldn't disable or finish encryption so I couldn't install el capitan. finally I solved the problem like this

1-I created a bootable disk with the DIY option at this link http://lifehacker.com/how-to-burn-os-x-el-capitan-to-a-usb-flash-drive-173342513 3 the el capitan app is already downloaded so I used this.

2-I booted to usb with pressing option key at start up.

3-after language selection I clicked on disk utility

4-I unlocked the disk and while it is selected I clicked the first aid button at top.

At the process it said something about paused encryption and expanding partition. At that point I realized the problem is solved. I restarted the mac regularly and then I saw encrypting instead of paused. after the finished process I was able to install el captain and I was able to get rid of this paused encryption problem.

Oct 1, 2015 12:13 PM

Oct 17, 2014 8:01 AM in response to zinnjd In response to zinnjd

After upgrading to Yosemite, I have exactly the same problem and have tried all the obvious, like restarting, resetting the SMC and resetting the PRAM.

Still stuck on "Connect power adapter to resume encryption." while powered and on 100% charged battery.

Oct 17, 2014 8:01 AM

Oct 22, 2014 4:38 AM in response to bertofromparis In response to bertofromparis

Hi,

same problem, i've try the command in terminal but no way

i've resolved the issued doing this:

restarting my mac book pro ssd 500gb

reset pram with option+cmd+p+r

booting with cmd+r the utility disc (i've macintosh hd and one partition encrypted (the one with encoding paused)) >select the partition encrypted>click file and unlock>repair the partition disk>repair permission on partition>repair macintosh hd

restar

the encryption was resumed, after almost 9 hour the encryption ended.

Hope this can help you.

Federico

Oct 22, 2014 4:38 AM

Oct 11, 2015 10:16 AM in response to zinnjd In response to zinnjd

I ran into this same problem after installing El Capitan on a blank SSD on my Mac Mini. I enabled FileVault, restarted, and it stayed stuck at "encryption paused" no matter what I did. I tried resetting the PRAM, running First Aid on the unlocked partition, reinstalling OSX--everything suggested in this thread. After several days of trying, I finally had the thought that the UPS might be the problem, since OSX will pause the encryption based on the power source (usually this would only affect laptops, but there's clearly a bug in El Capitan). I unplugged the USB connection to the UPS, restarted and sure enough, the encryption process finally started. So for anybody that runs into this problem on a desktop connected to a UPS, try disconnecting the data cable and restarting--even if it doesn't say anything about connecting to a power source.

Oct 11, 2015 10:16 AM

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Oct 17, 2014 8:01 AM in response to zinnjd In response to zinnjd

After upgrading to Yosemite, I have exactly the same problem and have tried all the obvious, like restarting, resetting the SMC and resetting the PRAM.

Still stuck on "Connect power adapter to resume encryption." while powered and on 100% charged battery.

Oct 17, 2014 8:01 AM

Reply Helpful (7)

Oct 17, 2014 2:09 PM in response to d0ri0 In response to d0ri0

Try clicking the lock where it says "click the lock to make changes" and it will ask for the password and then it will enable you to click on the "encryption paused" and it will resume.

Oct 17, 2014 2:09 PM

Reply Helpful (6)

Oct 17, 2014 2:30 PM in response to zinnjd In response to zinnjd

Same thing, I've got the dreaded "Connect power adapter to resume encryption" message in FileVault.

I tried all the obvious things: rebooting, resetting the SMC, zapping the PRAM, still stuck.

I then tried reinstalling OS X Yosemite: after several hours (sigh) it finished; I logged in, went to FileVault, couldn't turn off encryption but it appeared to start. It ran for 5s, then: "Connect power adapter to resume encryption".

After last year's disaster with Mail and gmail accounts, now this. Argh.

Oct 17, 2014 2:30 PM

Reply Helpful

Oct 17, 2014 9:30 PM in response to zinnjd In response to zinnjd

My happened exactly the same thing. Stuck at Encryption Paused, and already tried all the recommendation in this post.

It's no longer moving anywhere now.

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_CoreStorage 999.7 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

/dev/disk1

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD *999.3 GB disk1

Logical Volume on disk0s2

90C69512-39D4-41EE-B93F-424BDA646B84

Unlocked Encrypted

CoreStorage logical volume groups (1 found)

|

+-- Logical Volume Group 3F73020C-B0BB-40B7-8D43-ECCCB4719184

=========================================================

Name: Macintosh HD

Size: 999695822848 B (999.7 GB)

Free Space: 0 B (0 B)

|

+-< Physical Volume 43DDC4A3-57A3-4127-8259-0ADD4C11D746

| ----------------------------------------------------

| Index: 0

| Disk: disk0s2

| Status: Online

| Size: 999695822848 B (999.7 GB)

|

+-> Logical Volume Family 8B03FB6A-B3C3-426D-9484-8C0A4730DDA1

----------------------------------------------------------

Encryption Status: Unlocked

Encryption Type: AES-XTS

Conversion Status: Converting

Conversion Direction: forward

Has Encrypted Extents: Yes

Fully Secure: No

Passphrase Required: Yes

|

+-> Logical Volume 90C69512-39D4-41EE-B93F-424BDA646B84

---------------------------------------------------

Disk: disk1

Size (Total): 999324516352 B (999.3 GB)

Conversion Progress: Paused

Revertible: No

LV Name: Macintosh HD

Volume Name: Macintosh HD

Content Hint: Apple_HFS

Oct 17, 2014 9:30 PM

Reply Helpful

Oct 18, 2014 2:36 AM in response to loicsans In response to loicsans

I tried to recover using Time Machine and even worse, it failed completely and now my macbook pro unusable. Searching For Disks, HDD no longer detected.

Internal Recovery is no longer an option. Now in the middle of downloading Internet Recovery(Command + option -R)

hopefully I can restore from time machine succesfully and forget FileVault

Oct 18, 2014 2:36 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: zinnjd

Question: FileVault stuck on "Encryption Paused"