Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mail inline attachments - Yosemite 10.10

Has anyone found a Yosemite work-around yet to send image attachments as file icons that show as icons to Windows users and not images?

Right clicking and "show as icon" works on the Mac but Windows users still get full images in the email body. I send lots of files for my work and this is really really annoying!! Many of my customers are not particularly PC literate and just cannot get the image out of the email.

Have always used Lokiware's Attachment Tamer, but in good old Mac "we don't care what our customers want to do, we will force them to do it our way" fashion, this has been disabled and Lokiware seem to be struggling to come up with an updated version.

Does this annoy anyone else, or is just me?

Nick Gates.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Nov 6, 2014 6:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2014 8:30 AM

No I have no idea. It annoys me so much. I'm a mac guy as much as the next guy, but this is a classic example of a "cool" feature messing with productivity. There are countless other examples. I use my mac to work, swiping between Windows 7 on Fusion just so I can use Excel, and my mac for everything else. I'm about to start using Outlook on Windows. Another thing I don't understand is why don't they just port Microsoft Office to Mac, keep it the same? Why does everyone dumb down and color their software for mac users.

Whatever, Apple stop listening a long time ago.

134 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2014 8:30 AM in response to nickgates

No I have no idea. It annoys me so much. I'm a mac guy as much as the next guy, but this is a classic example of a "cool" feature messing with productivity. There are countless other examples. I use my mac to work, swiping between Windows 7 on Fusion just so I can use Excel, and my mac for everything else. I'm about to start using Outlook on Windows. Another thing I don't understand is why don't they just port Microsoft Office to Mac, keep it the same? Why does everyone dumb down and color their software for mac users.

Whatever, Apple stop listening a long time ago.

Nov 10, 2014 5:04 PM in response to caña

Thanks Caña, I marked your reply as "the answer" because "Apple stopped listening a long time ago" is probably the actual answer!

They make great machines and their OS has always led the way but Apple have this awful arrogance of trying to force users to do things the "Apple" way. Yes, give people all of the funky stuff but also give others the option to turn that crap off! As you say there are countless examples

Nick

Nov 16, 2014 7:46 AM in response to nickgates

Absolutely maddening at this point. I'd love to know if these kinds of things ever come up in Apple developer meetings. Do they all just have a chuckle and say "oh screw those users"? Or do they not even see the problem?

This is a real issue that cripples their software for anyone with serious email needs. And it's been broken literally since the first version of OS X in 2001.

I'm still using Sparrow even though it's been out of development for quite some time. This functionality just seems so BASIC! 😢

Nov 17, 2014 8:24 AM in response to Eric Root

Just an update.

Although the file leaves Mail as a normal file attachment, Outlook still seems to be receiving the file as an embedded image.

Suppose I'll have to wait for Lokiware to issue an update. Or waste money buying Outlook for Mac! Grrrr!

Apple is obviously just interested in the consumer market and doesn't want business users. Even though so many people in the world now work from home with Mac's, we have been totally abandoned and are totally ignored. Does anyone at Apple read these threads - kind of doubt it.

Nick

Nov 17, 2014 8:36 AM in response to nickgates

I only need it for PDF files really. I send many and the ones that are 1 page open up and cloud the screen.

But you're right about the working Mac users. I actually love my Mac to work on, except another INSANE quirk (WHY DONT FOLDERS APPEAR AT THE TOP!!!!) but I digress...

Every time Tim Cook or Steve Jobs took the stage, they are always saying how they are "excited when mac market share gains 1%". I understand converting the world to Mac OS X isn't their priority, but maybe they should try and improve their share not to sell more macs, but to deliver services and features that are demanded by their users.

Windows is no comparison, but you have to hand it to them they give you options for everything. Why? Because they serve millions more people then Apple does.

Another thing that kills me is this new "colorless" "flat" design. I mean all my icons on most apps are B&W. So we invented color screens for what? The color icons helps differentiate between them. Now the sidebar in iTunes and Mail, and many others is just a blob of black and white.

Speaking of which I better get back to work...

Sigh....

Nov 17, 2014 8:37 AM in response to nickgates

Unfortunately, this terminal command fix doesn't do what I need it to, which is make attachments behave like "normal" attachments for the end user.

Mail.app is, amazingly, still a junky mess after all these years. Back to Sparrow. It's the only app I've used that just works.

Here's the list I've tried:

Outlook for Mac

Airmail

Postbox

Thunderbird

Mailplane

Mail Pilot

Inky

Unibox

Opera Mail

MailTab Pro

Mailbox (beta)

There are more that I can't remember. They're all broken in some form or fashion (for me).

Nov 17, 2014 8:55 AM in response to caña

Apple messed up big time back in the 90's and only came back because of the iPod and i-tunes. Looks as though they are going to blow it again.

The best example of their arrogance (or ignorance) was they way in which they destroyed Final Cut 7, which was without doubt the best video editing software on the market and which many others were based, with the upgraded I-Movie which they called Final Cut Pro X!! I know this in an old argument but it does prove they are only interested in the consumer market and that will be their downfall again.

Wake up Apple, see the light, remember that some of us aren't interested in the gimmicks and have a serious use for our machines - not just Farcebook and Twatter - AND FIX THAT MAIL ATTACHMENT ISSUE IN MAIL!!

PS. Totally agree regarding the folders at the top! Such a simple, obvious thing.

Nov 23, 2014 5:38 AM in response to Francy230

Right clicking and "show as icon" does show the file as an icon in the email that you are sending but that doesn't necessarily mean that the recipient will see it as an icon and that unfortunately is the issue, particularly in Outlook on a PC, it still shows as an inline image.

The only thing that works properly is http://lokiware.info/Attachment-Tamer/Mavericks but they still haven't come up with an update for Yosemite.

Thanks for the reply, Nick

Dec 18, 2014 6:47 PM in response to nickgates

I have this same problem, and I don't get why Apple doesn't fix it. It cripples our ability to do "work" on OS X. Outlook for Mac is horrible too - so many shortcomings of its own. Another example of Microsoft "dumbing down" products for OS X. Grrrrr. I have been using Attachment Tamer too, though on Mavericks, it doesn't even work to VIEW as attachments in Mail, so on my screen, they still show up inline. But at least the recipient gets them as attachments. The AT web page acknowledged that feature wasn't available for Mavericks as recently as a couple months ago, and said they were working on that functionality, but now with Yosemite they have probably shifted focus to that release. Anyway, I will follow this thread and hope that if a fix is created/discovered someone will post here. In the meantime I am holding off buying a new iMac (which I actually need) because of this issue with Yosemite. Shame on you Apple!

Mac mail inline attachments - Yosemite 10.10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.