Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 5 stuck on red battery screen

Hello, recently my iphone 5 has been having weird battery problems. Sometimes it will loose 25% in seconds but last one 1% for hours at time. I forgot to plug in my iphone last night and woke up to it dead. Its been plugged in for a few hours now and still shows the red battery screen. Some things ive already tried are testing the charger(it works on other devices), holding home and power for 30 seconds, and putting it in DFU mode. When i put it into DFU mode it just becomes a black unresponsive screen and i have to hold down the power and home button for 30 seconds just o see the red battery screen again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Nov 22, 2014 11:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2014 7:46 PM

This is a hardware defect that is quite common in the iPhone 5 and is now appearing in the other devices that use the lightning charging system. The usb logic ic, called U2, in the iPhone 5 is easily damaged by unregulated voltage swings that pass through non-Apple chargers---especially cheap car chargers.

The symptoms of U2 failure are: rapid battery drain, auto power on at battery reconnect, inability to charge a stone dead battery, fake charging, no usb detection, hot spot at U2 chip. Any or all of these symptoms can occur with a U2 failure.

This chip is encapsulated in a not-meant-for-removal black underfill substance that complicates our ability to replace the chip. There are a few places in the UK and Europe that can change the U2 ic chip, but as of early December 2014, there are no US repair shops that offer the service.

jessa

44 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2014 7:46 PM in response to andrewcsss

This is a hardware defect that is quite common in the iPhone 5 and is now appearing in the other devices that use the lightning charging system. The usb logic ic, called U2, in the iPhone 5 is easily damaged by unregulated voltage swings that pass through non-Apple chargers---especially cheap car chargers.

The symptoms of U2 failure are: rapid battery drain, auto power on at battery reconnect, inability to charge a stone dead battery, fake charging, no usb detection, hot spot at U2 chip. Any or all of these symptoms can occur with a U2 failure.

This chip is encapsulated in a not-meant-for-removal black underfill substance that complicates our ability to replace the chip. There are a few places in the UK and Europe that can change the U2 ic chip, but as of early December 2014, there are no US repair shops that offer the service.

jessa

Jan 2, 2017 6:21 PM in response to andrewcsss

Well actually u need to plug in to ur computer.Connect you device to your computer and open iTunes then put your phone into DFU MODE it will become a black unresponsive screen and then just restore your device.After it is done it may show u the battery screen again but let your phone charge for the whole night.At the morning you shouldn't face any problems.And then if u are facing

Battery problems then it's better to consult apple

Jul 11, 2017 6:26 PM in response to andrewcsss

HELLO GENTLEMEN,

I had the same problem too, my Iphone 6s (now about 2 years old) started to stuck in the low battery mode after drainment about 3 months ago. I first thought that it is a simple battery life or dock connector issue. Until I tried to load the Iphone with different devices and chargers. First I started to charge my Iphone at the standard wall-socket, then at my PC, finally I tried a third party powerbank with different genuine Apple USB-cables of course. Nothing helped. My phone was kinda dead and unuseable.

Then I went to the Genius Bar at my local Apple store. They did some very good troubleshooting with me and we finally agreed on a 90 Euro Battery replacement. The replacement happened yesterday.

THE PROBLEM IS, IT DID NOT WORK.

I got my IPhone back, with a 100% charged new battery (I checked that via a Battery-life app). But still, after my Iphone died the first time today (after replacement of the battery), nothing changed. The phone is still stuck on the red "charge me screen", although it recognizes the charger (plug in symbol dissapeares, Iphone is reognized by Itunes ONLY IN DFU MODE while "dead")

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

SO MY INTENTION TO WRITE THIS POST, DURING MY ONGOING RESEARCH, WAS:

IF YOU HAVE THIS PROBLEM I AM TELLING YOU ABOUT AND THE ORIGINAL POSTER IS SUFFERING FROM TOO,

DO NOT REPLACE THE BATTERY FOR 90 $ / Euro, BECAUSE IT WONT HELP IT.

ANYWAY DO NOT PAY FOR ANY OF APPLES "MAYBE-WORKING"- SERVICES HASTILY

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am still looking for an answer (the heating of the battery via hair dryer or heater is not helping either, the only thing that HELPED ME TEMPORARILY, was to charge the phone with one charger at the socket, interrupt the charging process for 30 mins waiting and then charge it with another charger at my laptop/power bank), a really weird problem, I know.

so thank you all for reading and good luck and greetings from Germany

Merniel96

Jan 16, 2017 9:26 PM in response to wrthrash

Thank you! My IPhone 6 was on the charger all night. I didn't use it all day but grabbed it to go run errands and saw the red battery icon. I put it on the car charger...nothing. Came home and did the obvious trouble shooting to no avail. Plugged it into my laptop and iTunes didn't recognize it. I'd been on line all evening trying to find a fix. I'd already made an appointment for service (the nearest authorized spot is 1 hour away) for tomorrow but the only available time, other than days away, was going to mess up a prepaid gym session. I'd already flaked out on this session last week and didn't want to miss it again. I have weekend plans that will require trains and the subway and I rely on my phone for getting around, finding food, etc. I read your post, turned on my wall heater and held my phone up to the heater for a few minutes. It came back on. I'm going to read further to try to understand how this worked. Woohoo!

Jan 30, 2017 10:27 PM in response to katyclaire

To add...I continued to have problems with my phone. Same thing at least twice a day. Red battery icon. Phone won't hard reset. Putting on charger has no effect. However, remove phone from case and hold in front of wall heater and it comes on. The battery says 29% or something equally low. I put the phone on the charger and it immediately jumps to 100%. I take off the charger and it rapidly drops down to 65%. A few minutes later it says 80%. It's all over the place. I couldn't get an appointment at the Apple store and I couldn't mail in my phone because I needed it because I was going out of town for the weekend. I got an appointment with an Apple Tech at a nearby Best Buy. The Apple Tech ran a check on my battery and said it was fine. He seemed confused about what the problem was. How to you explain this problem without sounding crazy??? He said to go home, do a factory reset and do a restore from the cloud. I did these things. The phone was fine for a few days and now we're back to square one. The same problem over and over. I'm debating whether to make an appointment at the Apple Store or pay the deductible and get a new phone.

May 28, 2017 7:23 AM in response to wrthrash

Thank you so much for this solution to what was a very big problem with my partner's iPhone 5. The battery on the phone died during an IOS upgrade, and everything just went downhill from there. Firstly, the phone got stuck in an Apple Logo Black Screen loop. After some research I managed to get the phone in Recovery mode, but the Uodate option didn't fix the problem. I then put the phone in DFU mode, and was able to restore the phone to factory settings. But then the phone was stuck in "red battery" status, and was unable to complete the restore. Using a modified version of your solution (a cup of very hot water held against the back of the phone) I was able to reboot the phone, compete the factory reset, and then restore the phone from a recent backup. Thanks again.

Aug 4, 2017 3:46 PM in response to Merniel96

I have a similar battery problem on my wife's 2-month-old iPhone 6+. Here are the symptoms:

1. The phone would not charge beyond the displayed battery percentage, which was 7% in this case. The battery kept draining no matter how long we kept it plugged in.

2. The displayed charge value declined over the course of the day until it came to rest at 1%, after which it only went back to 4% when I connected it to my pc and iTunes started up. That's about it.

3. I did all kinds of reset as found here in the forum. None worked.

4. I backed up the phone using iTunes and did a restore using iTunes. Then, the pc kept making these connect/disconnect sounds and eventually iTunes told me that the device had malfunctioned and couldn't be recognized and needed to be reconnected.

5. At this point I noticed that the phone was caught in the shut down/power up loop. I disconnected from the pc. The loop went away and I was able to set up the phone. Still wouldn't charge past displayed figure- 3%.

6. I plugged in phone all night until morning. Nothing changed. So, I decided to let the phone battery die out so that I could try the hair dryer idea.

7. The hair dryer worked- TEMPORARILY! After blowing hot air on the back of the device for about 3 minutes or so I immediately plugged in the dead phone. The apple logo appeared immediately and the phone booted itself up and showed 100% charge. After about 20 minutes I disconnected the phone from the wall and it died within 10 minutes! I tried the drier a couple more times. Each time, after I plugged in, the dead phone showed the apple logo on and off (like a looped thing) until the phone booted up again, only to show the persistent 1%. It was at this point that it occurred to me that it was strange for a dead phone to start up when plugged in; it should show only the battery icon or something like that along with indication of charging in progress.

8. So, I went online again and found this web page: https://www.mendmyi.com/blog/2014/06/has-your-iphone-5-died-and-wont-charge-or-c ome-back-on-we-can-fix-that/

Their explanation of matters makes sense. They had me examining all the Apple adapters and USB leads at home- we have accumulated quite a good number over the years. I found one cable that didn't pass muster on closer inspection. And it had, by some strange accident, recently been used to charge that ailing iPhone. Wow!

And that got me thinking. Why haven't I found some sort of "official" explanation of the problem, along with its cause, from Apple? Why? Oh, why have the 'isheep' been left seemingly without a shepherd?

Oct 10, 2017 1:04 PM in response to andrewcsss

Hi All,

I used the blow dryer heat method on my battery (I took it out of the iphone 5c because I didn't want to damage the iphone) and it worked too! Further, the battery that I had plugged in all night, but still wouldn't reach the apple icon, just the battery indicator, showed a charge of 100% once the iphone 5c rebooted.

Since I had another older battery that was exhibiting the same stalled charging pattern (no apple logo, just the battery charge indicator even after several hours of charging) I was going to try the blow dryer method again, but first I plugged the charging cable into the iphone without the battery to see what would happen (you have to have already performed battery removal procedures that exist on youtube from various repair places). After a few minutes, the apple logo appeared, but it just kept cycling through from apple logo to black screen and back to apple logo. So (and probably stupidly...you should never make connections when the phone is connected to the charger) I reconnected the battery while it was still plugged in and cycling through this apple logo process and...it rebooted. Don't know if this is something that will help anyone who is at their final, exasperated point, but when my phone rebooted the battery was at 1% and subsequently charged all the way to 100%.

Nov 29, 2017 5:00 AM in response to andrewcsss

Following a response here that showed how he got his iPhone 5 to start up by pressing it against a cup of coffee, I can say that this works too if you're in a pinch - I simply touched the back of my iPhone 5C that I had recently purchased from eBay against a warm cup of tea for a few seconds, then reconnected it to my computer - it would seem that the cold conditions it was being transported in were making the phone act a bit odd, and it needed just a tiny bit of warmth to wake up properly.

Dec 5, 2017 1:31 AM in response to andrewcsss

My iPhone 5s has been having battery issues ever since I updated to iOS 10 (previously on iOS 7). However tonight was the first time it ever got completely stuck on the dead battery screen. I didn't believe the heating method would actually work, but after several attempts holding it over the candle I had burning, it actually turned back on. About a minute of careful heating is what did it for me.

Nov 25, 2014 7:03 AM in response to andrewcsss

Hello andrewcsss,

After reviewing your post, I have located an article that can help with your device battery. It contains a number of troubleshooting steps and helpful advice for the issue you are experiencing:

If you can’t charge your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Make sure you’re using Apple-certified accessories and the right power source.

If your battery is really low, you might see a black screen for a few minutes even after you plug it in. Let it charge for at least 10 minutes (20 minutes for iPad). If it still doesn’t charge, follow the steps below.

If the battery doesn’t charge

If the battery doesn’t charge, unplug your device and try these steps:

1. Look at the connector at the bottom of your device and make sure it’s free of debris.
  2. If you're using a USB power adapter, make sure it's plugged in all the way and the power outlet is working. If you're connecting to a computer, make sure it's on and can charge your device. To charge an iPad, you might need to use a USB power adapter and plug into a power outlet.
  3. Try a different USB cable, USB power adapter, or USB port.
  4. If everything seems to be working, reconnect your device and wait for 30 minutes.
  5. If your device still doesn’t charge, try to restart it while it's connected to power. If you can't restart, reset your device.

If you see an alert

When you plug in your device, you might see one of these alerts:

• “This cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably with this iPhone.”
  • “This accessory is not supported by this device.”

If you see one of these alerts, unplug your device try and these steps:

1. Look at the connector at the bottom of your device and make sure it’s free of debris, then reconnect the USB cable.
  2. If you still see an alert, try a different USB cable or charger.

Get more help

If your device still doesn't charge or you still see an alert after trying the steps above, contact Apple Support.

Thank you for contributing to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

BobbyD

iphone 5 stuck on red battery screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.