Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP Laserjet P1102w by USB "The disk you inserted is not readable by this computer"

My HP Laserjet P1102w used to work fine with OS X10.10. Then it started saying "The disk you inserted is not readable by this computer" whenever I switched it on, but the printer still worked. This morning it didn't. I uninstalled the printer, but can't re-install it - it isn't listed when I click "+". I have tried a different USB cable, and a different USB port - same message. The HP website does not provide a downloadable driver, as far as I can see. What do I do? (The wireless connection to the printer stopped working ages ago. The printer still works with our two PCs via USB.)

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Dec 25, 2014 1:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2017 8:58 AM

I found that Sam Katz1 was correct that wifi had to be off for it to work with usb, but that even when the wifi light was off, I still saw the printer broadcasting on wifi and still I got the error when plugging in the usb cable.

What finally worked for me was a tip I found from 2011 ⚠ that to truly shut off wifi in such situations, "shut the printer down, hold the wireless and cancel buttons together and power the printer back on. Wait for all the lights to flash together and then let the buttons go."

32 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2017 8:58 AM in response to Sam Katz1

I found that Sam Katz1 was correct that wifi had to be off for it to work with usb, but that even when the wifi light was off, I still saw the printer broadcasting on wifi and still I got the error when plugging in the usb cable.

What finally worked for me was a tip I found from 2011 ⚠ that to truly shut off wifi in such situations, "shut the printer down, hold the wireless and cancel buttons together and power the printer back on. Wait for all the lights to flash together and then let the buttons go."

Feb 11, 2017 6:33 PM in response to ShlomiL

I'm having the same problem with my hp ljp1102w printer. I repaired permissions via terminal. I rebooted in Windows and updated the firmware. I looked everywhere while I was in Windows for the setting to turn off the Smart Install software and could not find it. Then when booted up in the Mac OS, I downloaded and installed the latest hp drivers from Apple. I was able to print fine! Then after doing a needed restart, I'm getting the same "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer." AGAIN. Your second link at hp showing how to turn off the Smart Install software no longer works. Can you tell me where to find that, for when I boot up in Windows again? I think that will solve my problem. I sure can't keep reinstalling the printer drivers every time I restart my computer.

Jul 11, 2017 5:46 AM in response to Shapley

I seem to be the 500th person to be baffled by this problem.

I've tried all of the listed suggestions and none have worked for me

As of this moment I have no HP printer drivers appearing at all in my printer preferences and there seems to be no way of installing one. Still getting the 'disk' message.

After a week of trying to get help on the HP support forum, I'm dumping my printer and buying another brand.

Frankly life is too short.

Sep 5, 2017 7:39 PM in response to Shapley

Hi Shapley,

Nothing posted above works. Workaround. I copied the driver from another Macbook with El Capitan and pasted this on my Macbook (MacOS Sierra) and it worked.

Go to Finder, hold the Shift Key (Sierra) (Option key on older OS) whilst on the GO menu and then select Library/ Printers. Download my driver file from here: HP LaserJet Professional P1102.app.zip - Google Drive

Unzip it. Done

Sep 5, 2017 7:47 PM in response to Shapley

I've tried everything above and nothing works.

Quick answer, I copied the driver off another Macbook and pasted it the printers folder and it works.

Just go to Finder, hold shift key down (Option key on older OSx) then go to Library, Printers.

Message below and I will send you the link to the driver file on Google Drive if you need it.

Sep 18, 2017 3:53 PM in response to sippog

Right there with ya. Making it even worse for me: Sometimes the sequence of hard resetting printer, etc. will work. Other times, I will follow EXACT SAME SEQUENCE and it won't. A few months ago, I was about to click "buy" on a new printer in my cart, but tried one last time and voila, HP LaserJet P1102w was working again. It worked fine for months - never saw the "this disk is not readable" message. Back to being a reliable, simple printer. The other day, it ran out of paper mid-print. That set off the whole cycle all over again. Tried all the usual fixes and Googled new ones - nothing.

Like you: Life is too short. So even though I KNOW this is a perfectly functioning printer, it refuses to work with my Mac. So I'm giving up.

Dec 26, 2014 3:59 AM in response to Shapley

Hi Shapley,

Repairing the disk permissions can be done as following:

1. Open the the Applications folder.

2. Go to the Utilities folder.

3. Double-click on Disk Utility.

4. Select the hard drive containing the boot volume.

5. Go to the First Aid tab and select Repair Disk Permissions.

Note: This process may take several minutes depending on the Mac and amount of permissions that need to be repaired. The Progress Log will indicate when the process has been completed.

Next reboot your Mac and try plugging the USB again.

If the same persist, a such may also happen due to a conflict with the HP Smart Install feature which is Windows Based only and being wrongly read by the Mac, in order to resolve a such a Windows based PC will be required. any laptop should meet the purpose, the printer will be installed automatically by connecting the USB.

Next update and install the latest firmware below:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=bi-115794- 2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=4158&product=4110396&sw_lang=

Next follow the HP Smart Install Control Utility below: Select the Printer and follow the on-screen steps to disable the feature for the printer.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=lj-129224- 1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=4158&product=4110396&sw_lang=

NOw plug the USB back to your Mac and check for any difference

Please let me know of any change,

Shlomi

HP Laserjet P1102w by USB "The disk you inserted is not readable by this computer"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.