Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iphone 6 doesn't ring when a call comes in.

My iphone 6 doesn't ring when I get an incoming call. I've checked the setting under phone and turned off the vibrator. Don't know what else to do? HELP!!!!

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 25, 2015 4:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2015 7:22 AM

Thank you SO much. Spent hours triple-checking my settings, but had no idea about the silent switch to the side of the phone. My wife and I now (finally) got our iphones to work properly. You're a star.

47 replies

Aug 22, 2017 2:50 PM in response to geneb5

THANK YOU!!!! Finally my problem was solved!! 🙂😁

geneb5 wrote:

I found the remarkably simple answer to this problem (the side switch on the phone was set to silent)on my phone at another thread:

sterling rUser uploaded fileJun 8, 2013 1:54 PM Re: My Iphone doesn't ring or makes any sound just vibrates

Re: My Iphone doesn't ring or makes any sound just vibrates

in response to Melissa Castañeda

Hello Melissa,

Here is an article about troubleshooting the phone being silent. Called iPhone: No ring or sound from built-in speaker it can be found here http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1205.

Also I would recommend looking at the side switch on the phone. Here is an article that outlines the sideswitch:

iPhone Buttons

http://support.apple.com/kb/ta38625

Flip the Ring/Silent switch to change between ring User uploaded file and silent User uploaded file modes.
User uploaded file

When set to ring mode, iPhone plays all sounds. When set to silent mode, iPhone doesn't ring or sound any alerts or sound effects (alarms set using Clock do sound). By default, when you get a call, iPhone vibrates whether it's set to ring or silent mode.

If iPhone is set to ring mode, you can silence a call by pressing the Sleep/Wake button or one of the volume buttons once. Press a second time to send the call to voicemail.

Jan 18, 2017 5:41 PM in response to G3gator

I have to "reset" my phone about every other day because it keeps silencing the ringtone. I get my notification sounds, but not my alarm, calls, or text messages. I've checked ALL my settings to make sure there's no do not disturb or timed silence thing. All three settings have different tones set as well so I'm really trying to figure out WHY my phone keeps doing this.

Jan 24, 2017 10:02 PM in response to mandyyy77

I was researching two problems. One, no ring when someone called, only a vibration and I had not changed a thing. Two, some of the videos on Facebook would not play! This solution of simply turning off my phone and turning it back on fixed both. After I did this I remembered that my sister told me that I should turn my phone off once in a while to give it a rest and/or reset my phone! I thought she was nuts but this is the second time I have turned off my phone and by doing that it has solved all of my issues! I guess even modern technology needs a rest too!

Feb 8, 2017 6:37 PM in response to Pcraft

Shux I was hoping it would solve your problem like it did mine.... but you

should not have to turn it off every day to eat it if there is cell phone

store such as ATandT or Verizon etc close by stop and see if somebody there

can figure it out …I promise it's something simple unless the speaker is

messed up does it work with text Alerts etc; or on speaker while talking?

On Feb 8, 2017 8:00 PM, "Apple Support Communities Updates" <

Feb 8, 2017 6:44 PM in response to 2nd2nun

Everything works just fine for up to about 36 hours of me resetting it. Than my ringer for calls and texts doesn't work. My videos won't play. Facebook videos won't play. I have had iPhones for ever! And other than the recall on the 5c lock button, I've never had problems. Until now. I'm a main boss at work and everyone calls me with problems to fix them and it's a pain in the rear when I don't hear my phone. Than its a matter of hoping I don't have an even larger problem to fix at work than I did when I missed the call!!

May 1, 2015 1:08 PM in response to koko57

I Had the same problem with my IPhone 6. It took me a little while to figure it out. I went through all the settings over and over again thinking maybe I was missing something. i even reset all setting, called sprint and followed their advice. I followed most of the suggestions I found online. Nothing seemed to help. Finally just out of curiosity I turned off my LTE now everything works fine. A let it rest a day, then enabled LTE again. And calls quit coming through. It seems on my end to be a network problem or firmware problem. But my phone works good in 3G mode only.

My iphone 6 doesn't ring when a call comes in.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.