Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Constant popup tabs my macbook pro. PLEASE HELP.

Hi, my laptop has been completely fine all morning until suddenly at 11am my browser just kept getting tabs opening advertising, everything from mackeeper to gambling sites.

I followed some instructions from a user in similar discussions, the files he suggested were there and I moved them to trash, but the ads now seem more aggressive.

I am an online streamer but I haven't done it in weeks, why would a virus only come up now? Please help. It's driving me mad.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 3:20 AM

8 replies

Jun 29, 2015 7:20 AM in response to LivLivDavis

You may have installed one or more of the common types of ad-injection malware. Follow the instructions on this Apple Support page to remove it. It's been reported that some variants of the "VSearch" malware block access to the page. If that happens, start in safe mode by holding down the shift key at the startup chime, then try again.

Back up all data before making any changes.

One of the steps in the article is to remove malicious Safari extensions. Do the equivalent in the Chrome and Firefox browsers, if you use either of those. If Safari crashes on launch, skip that step and come back to it after you've done everything else.

If you don't find any of the files or extensions listed, or if removing them doesn't stop the ad injection, ask for further instructions.

Make sure you don't repeat the mistake that led you to install the malware. Chances are you got it from an Internet cesspit such as "Softonic," "CNET Download," or "SourceForge." Never visit any of those sites again. You might also have downloaded it from an ad in a page on some other site. The ad would probably have included a large green button labeled "Download" or "Download Now" in white letters. The button is designed to confuse people who intend to download something else on the same page. If you ever download a file that isn't obviously what you expected, delete it immediately.

Malware is also found on websites that traffic in pirated content such as video. If you, or anyone else who uses the computer, visit such sites and follow prompts to install software, you can expect more of the same, and worse, to follow. Never install any software that you downloaded from a bittorrent, or that was downloaded by someone else from an unknown source.

In the Security & Privacy pane of System Preferences, select the General tab. The radio button marked Anywhere should not be selected. If it is, click the lock icon to unlock the settings, then select one of the other buttons. After that, don't ignore a warning that you are about to run or install an application from an unknown developer.

Still in System Preferences, open the App Store or Software Update pane and check the box marked

Install system data files and security updates (OS X 10.10 or later)

or

Download updates automatically (OS X 10.9 or earlier)

if it's not already checked.

Jun 29, 2015 7:50 AM in response to LivLivDavis

You should do your own research to determine the safety and effectiveness of any unknown software, rather than taking anyone’s word for it. I’m not referring to any software in particular, but to all. Trusting software without a good reason is the mistake that caused the problem in the first place.

Think very carefully about listening to anyone who tells you to ignore the published instructions of Apple Support, in regard to anything.

Apple as a company does not endorse any third-party software. If an Apple employee were to recommend software, that would be his or her personal opinion, not Apple's opinion, and not necessarily correct.

No software is going to save you from the consequences of unsafe online behavior, which could be much worse than just seeing ads in a web browser. Caution is the only reliable defense against malware attack.

Jun 29, 2015 9:19 AM in response to LivLivDavis

By all means do research the virtues of AdwareMedic and you can do so on these forums. You will find that many, many users have used it with success and have been grateful for the advice. Here is just a sample:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7067735?start=15&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6531502

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6640492

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6850506

And in this post, the original poster tried the Apple support article suggested by Linc Davis and found it a lot more difficult and opted to use Adwaremedic, successfully.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6740074

Many Apple employees have suggested to use Adwaremedic in lieu of the support Article because it is faster and easier. These are both genius bar employees and telephone support personnel. Though Apple may not endorse third party software as a corporation, it does not make any comment that it should not be used. Note that Adwaremedic received a RECOMMENDED by Apple employees on this forum:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7007203

Ciao.

<Edited By Host>

Jun 29, 2015 12:30 PM in response to LivLivDavis

My first time using this site after having my Mac Pro for 7 years and I'm very happy that I did. Someone had the same problem that I did with pop-ups. I read several responses very happy with Adwaremedic. I just downloaded Adwaremedic and it resolved my problem. No more pop ups!!! After writing this I will be donating to their site.

Jun 29, 2015 4:28 PM in response to LivLivDavis

LivLivDavis wrote:

DO NOT DOWNLOAD ANYTHING SUGGESTED IN THIS THREAD. DOWNLOADING MORE DOES NOT TAKE AWAY WHAT IS ALREADY THERE.

If anyone is uncertain what to do at this point, based on the comments that have been made here, discuss it with an Apple support tech. They will steer you in the right direction, whether that is Apple's adware removal document, my own AdwareMedic app or something else entirely. Apple techs are seeing a lot of problems like these right now, and know how to handle them. They should be considered the authorities in the case of conflicting advice from strangers on a forum like this one.

Jun 29, 2015 5:16 PM in response to LivLivDavis

There are manual ways to learn how to resolve this kind of issue, or more

automated ones that do not include bad software download. AdwareMedic

have been proven and a few well known mac-centric computer magazines

had recently (yet again) endorsed its use...

However, what ever reasoning you have for your opinions in that matter,

you could use the manual methods to discover what may be the cause

of your Mac's OS X odd symptoms; not just in this instance, but in others.

And remove those items yourself which are known to cause the problem.

Here is a good example of a source of information you can learn to use:

•Tech Guides (malware, adware, & performance) from The Safe Mac:

http://www.thesafemac.com/tech-guides/

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Constant popup tabs my macbook pro. PLEASE HELP.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.