Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 Stuck on slide to upgrade after iOS 9 update..

Hi all,

I was rather happy with iOS 7 so never upgraded to 8 - but then 9 has just come out so I decided I would finally update my iPhone for the battery enhancements. Updated it via iTunes and the install seemed to go well, however, I'm now stuck on the slide to upgrade screen and my phone is just unresponsive - it won't slide!

It comes up the first time and it works, I enable location services and Wi-Fi, but then the slide message comes up again and it doesn't work.

I've hard to reboot the iPhone with the Sleep and Home button, but get stuck on the same part again.

Anyone else struggling?

iPhone 5, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 16, 2015 5:35 PM

137 replies

Sep 17, 2015 2:28 AM in response to harpreet0singh

Hi all, I HAVE A FIX!

Spent the last 12 hours pulling my hair out trying to find a solution to the problem - and I think I have one!

Did a bit of Googling and a guy on Reddit had the solution that worked for me. I upgraded from iOS 7 to iOS 9 and that caused an issue when I tried to restore my back up. However, by downgrading to 8.1.4 (as it is still signed), restoring the back up (my files all returned, but my apps disappeared strangely..) and THEN update to iOS 9 and it finally worked.

Here's the solution:

Finally fixed it! You have to downgrade to 8.4.1. Outlined the steps below.

Step 1 - Backup your pictures! Even though you can't get to your phone and use it you should still be able to backup your pictures

Step 2 - Download IOS 8.4.1 for your iPhone or iPad from this site --> https://ipsw.me/8.4.1

The file was taking a while to download for my phone so I searched the filename on Google and downloaded from Mega.

Step 3 - Reboot phone into DFU mode - hold down power button and home button - when it reboots let go of power button - still hold home button

At this point it will ask you to connect your phone to iTunes - will have to connect phone to the computer.

Step 4 - Hold down the Option (Mac) or Shift (Windows) and and then click restore.

Step 5 - Browse to the 8.4.1 file you downloaded and select it. This should restore to the previous IOS version. Note: This will wipe phone.

Step 6 - Restore from backup. Hope that you backed up before attempting to update.

Hope this helps you all! :-)

EDIT: Reinstalled the apps by going into the app store and viewing my purchases - they're all there. Downloaded them all and they all sorted themselves back into their categories as I had them before. Whatsapp conversations were also restored so it works. HOORAY!

Sep 17, 2015 6:57 AM in response to harpreet0singh

I had this problem this morning. I think it was because I hadn't updated my IOS for sometime. Spent 2 hours on chat to Applecare who told me to restore from itunes and then restore from icloud on phone, which I tried 3 times but it did not work.

I hadn't backed up my phone since July unfortunately. So I would have lost everything anyway. But each time I restored it allowed me to go through completely as if it were finished and then again would stick on the 'slide to upgrade' screen.

Anyway I have now worked it out for myself!!

1. Plug into computer with upgraded itunes.

2. Whilst on the 'slide to upgrade screen' hold power and home button until the itunes symbol appears with the lightning cable below on the iphone screen.

3. Click restore on itunes

4. Then select update and restore.

5. After this, go through as normal and then select SET UP AS NEW IPHONE

6. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RESTORE FROM ICLOUD BACK UP IF YOU HAVE ALREADY TRIED THIS it will not work!!

7. If you set up as new iphone you can log in on old apple account etc. The phone is as new, only my contacts saved (thank god) but it works

8. I left it at that because I would have lost all recent photos anyway due to not having backed up for along time.

9. However, you could now attempt to restore from icloud through settings in the usual way as your iphone should now be working.

Hope this works for everyone as it did for me. All I know that by restoring it through itunes and then attempting to restore from icloud during set up by phone went through the whole set up and then went straight back to the slide to upgrade screen. Setting up as a new iphone is the only thing that worked.

Hopefully apple will fix it soon, I think it is appalling and it has wasted my whole morning. But having to re-install apps is a lot better to having an iphone stuck on one screen.

Also, attempting to wait on the slide to upgrade screen for it to start working will also not work!! I waited for hours and tried everything, this is the only thing that would work.

Appalled that this is the 4th iphone I have had in 2 years and nearly lost this one two. Still wouldnt use anything else tho!

Let me know if this works for anyone.

Jem x

Sep 17, 2015 8:28 AM in response to AppleHaterFromUT

I was trying to update iPhone 5S this morning, and although my phone had about 300Mb left, the setup downloaded just fine and during the install it got stuck on the white/grey screen. I restarted 5S and the setup was able to resume itself and it almost completed the process. I'm at the last step where it says "Update Completed. Your phone was updated successfully. There are just a few more steps to follow, and then you're done." stage - It's asking me to select a Wi-Fi network to begin and as soon as I select my home-wifi, it gets stuck again on the white/grey screen with "slide to upgrade" text. As of now I am stuck and have tried to restart the phone multiple times but it fails everytime. Any hints?

Sep 17, 2015 10:10 AM in response to phillee081

If you have an iTunes backup of the phone - then you can restore your data yes. In my case, all data was restored, minus the apps - but if you go to your purchased items in the iPhone App Store, they're all there and it's a case of redownloading them all. The back up data for each of these apps were automatically updated into those apps (i.e. previous WhatsApp conversations).

And yes, it works in this way - downgrade to 8.1.4, restore, update to 9.

Hope this clarifies..

Sep 17, 2015 11:03 AM in response to phillee081

Ah I see. So what you'd have to do is hard reset the phone (Power & Home buttons) and then when it comes up with slide to upgrade the first time - do that and enter your passcode, but do not press update/upgrade after that. It should hopefully come up with trust this computer when plugged in via USB - and you'll be able to access your photos via Windows Explorer (I'm presuming you're doing this in Windows) and then just copy and paste all the photos to your drive.

Alternatively, I would have hoped you have a back up prior to updating your iOS. Have you checked your iTunes for the latest back up? If so, it makes the whole process much easier..

iPhone 5 Stuck on slide to upgrade after iOS 9 update..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.