Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues with "Groups" in Contacts after iOS 9 upgrade

User uploaded file

Hello,

I am having two issues.

1. My groups in contacts are no longer in alphabetical order after upgrading to ios9. I have tried removing them via the iTunes sync and then adding them again and all it did was resort them in another random order - not alphabetical. Has anyone else had this issue? Do you have a fix?

2. Contacts used to remember which Group I had selected for viewing. Now, after ios9 upgrade, each time I go into contacts via direct or by "Phone", ALL my Groups are checked instead of the 1 group I had chosen, so ALL my contacts appear.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

iPhone 6, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 6:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2015 11:33 AM

I downgraded to iOS 8.4.1 due to this issue. Same on iPad, too.

127 replies

Sep 20, 2015 1:25 PM in response to Lario22

Add me to the list; I called Apple Support Friday to create a case - they said they had not heard of this before, though Groups are out of order on both my iPad and my iPhone after the iOS 9 upgrade (and I also heard from a friend who has the same issue)

I even tried turning off Contacts, deleting from iPad, then turning back on - since Groups are sorted properly at iCloud.com, but this didn't help.

If I chose only one group to view on iPhone using Contacts app, then exit Contacts, then return, it seems to still have that group selected.

But, if I then go to Phone and open Contacts, it shows ALL

and.. if I force quit Contacts app and reopen by removing from Recent Apps, it reverts to All.

Awaiting Apple's patch I suppose...

Sep 20, 2015 4:24 PM in response to Lario22

I am have this same issue:

Contacts used to remember which Group I had selected for viewing. Now, after iOS 9 upgrade, each time I go into contacts via direct or by "Phone", ALL my Groups are checked instead of the 1 group I had chosen, so ALL my contacts appear 😠. I have spent hours getting my contacts organized and know this happens.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

iPhone 6, iOS 9

Sep 20, 2015 4:34 PM in response to msbrenie

Lario22's initial post describes the situation accurately. Folks at Apple Support worked extensively with me Friday evening and Saturday, but the problem could not be fixed. We eventually wiped the phone clean and re-installed iOS-9, and the problem was not corrected. Contacts are still well organized on iCloud and on iMacs.

I suspect we just have to wait for the programers to identify the error and issue an application update.

Sep 21, 2015 1:48 PM in response to Lario22

Please add me to the list of complaints as well. I have more than 1500 contacts, so sorting them in groups is extremely important. Just in case one day Apple will really solve this, here is a summary of bugs and complaints:

1. Bugs in iOS 9

- I updated my iPhone 6 to iOS 9, after that the contact groups are not sorted in alphabetic or any other order, just arbitrarily; but it is still possible to select one or more groups both in the contacts app and in the phone application, and contacts are shown correctly

- I updated my iPhone 4S to iOS 9, it showed the same behavior as above with the groups ordered in the same chaotic way as on my iPhone 6; because of that I decided to delete all contacts and to newly sync them with iCloud - with the effect that the contact app no longer shows any groups (only all contacts), but the phone app still shows groups in the same "unordered" sequence as before; in the phone app it is still possible to select one or more groups

2. Annoying features before iOS 9

- in the address book app on a Mac you select a group and you see all contacts of that group, until iOS 6 this was all the same on iOS: contacts>group and you see the contacts of that one group; since iOS7 this is gone: you can select more than one group with the effect that you need more clicks if you want to change from one group to another

- the above has also the "nice" effect that it is quite hard to define to which group a newly added contact will belong if you add it on your iPhone, for sure you can't see it e.g in the "edit contact" window and hence you can't change the group of a contact on the iPhone

- on Android phones you can simply select which way you want it: the pre-iOS7 way (just one group can be selected) or the other way (multiple group selection), I wish I would have that choice as well

- before syncing via iCloud was introduced and contacts were synced via iTunes one could select which contact groups shall be synced and which not synced, now it is "all or nothing" which again is not very helpful for people having more than 1000 contacts like me (a part of them are not really needed on the phone but I don't want to have two applications with addresses on my Mac: one for "phone contacts" and one for "not phone contacts"

All that shows that contact groups are not really in the focus of iOS developers. Probably not so many people are using them and that makes them "less important". So let's hope that at least the iOS 9 bug will be fixed soon.

Sep 22, 2015 1:13 AM in response to Lario22

I am using the social connector for Outlook to synchronize LinkIn and XING contacts. They are stored as seperated address books in Outlook and therefore on the exchange server. On iOS different groups have been created automatically.

In my car I do not want to see all those contacts. In iOS 8 I was able to disable LinkIn and XING on the iPhone so they didn't appear in the car navigation (BMW). Now I cannot use this feature anymore. That's why I downgraded to iOS 8.

Sep 22, 2015 10:02 AM in response to Lario22

I have the same issue, though I did find out if the contact groups are from gmail there isn't a problem. To date I have over 450 groups that are numbered from 000 - 450 example (000 Family) then 001 - 450 for business, with over 8,100 contacts I need my organization and now having them in a haphazard order is VERY frustrating. !!!!!!!!

😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.