Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am having the Problem (This message has not been downloaded from the server). I tried reseting my network settings but its still not working. After iOS 9 lstalling.

I am having the Problem (This message has not been downloaded from the server). I tried reseting my network settings but its still not working. After iOS 9 lstalling.

can't see my email.

Posted on Sep 19, 2015 6:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2015 7:57 AM

Has anyone offered a solution? I am still having this problem.

Thanks

8 replies

Sep 26, 2015 3:06 PM in response to hamidfromgympie

All,

I have the same issue. I have identified at least 4 other separate threads on the apple forums as well as numerous threads on other forums. I will attempt to précis them here and also provide links so you can read through my sources yourselves. Note there is, as always, a significant amount of duff information, guessing and questionable fact obscuring the useful evidence.

1. This issue only appears to be affecting people with email accounts set up for pop/smtp.

2. Following upgrade to iOS 9 / iOS 9.01 and possibly the 9.1 beta as well, email content is removed from the iOS device resulting in a sudden decrease in the storage required for the mail app.

3. Emails that may have been present on the device for many months and accessed multiple times in both the inbox and sent items will be randomly replaced with the basic placeholder information (similar to a IMAP case prior to download) but with the body and attachments replaced by the statement: This message has not been downloaded from the server.

4. Deleting the account and setting it up again from scratch does not resolve the issue and will result in the loss of all the email placeholders - further increasing your loss of knowledge so you can't even work out what you've lost (tried it with one of my 4 accounts - won't be doing any more of them). I forwarded a lost message that was held on my iMac archive back to the newly set up pop/smtp account and it appeared and was accessible for about 12 hours before reverting to 'This message has not....

5. Switching the account to IMAP if you go for a delete and re-setup will also result in the loss of all the email placeholders but will 'probably' solve the problem (within the limitations of IMAP) for future emails.

6. this affects all iOS devices - iPads (all gens on iOS 9) iPhones (all gens on iOS 9)

7. This affects you irrespective of you country, internet provider or email provider - the discriminator is the use of pop/smtp.

8. pop/smtp is not legacy or backward compared to imap it is just different. We use pop/smtp for 3 reasons: we don't want emails left on the server where a questionably secure environment could be compromised; our family want the ability to all download the same email to multiple devices without affecting each others ability to do so; we want one master device (the main iMac) to be the deleting device that holds the archive of all emails (right now we are very pleased we have this as all the iOS devices are scorched earth right now).

9. Some emails appear unaffected - I cannot identify any rhyme or reason to this. Old, new, addressee, - there doesn't seem to be a pattern. Can't say for certain but it seems that more are being affected as time goes on. If you are affected and you have the only copy of an email currently and you are going to need it again.....get it somewhere else ASAP!!!

10. This thread and forum is just for sharing knowledge between users. If this has affected you then you need to fill in the apple feedback page with your confirmed symptoms and the impact if you want anything to be done. Follow this link and do it now or apple pop users will remain without a fix! I recommend do one for each type of iOS device you have affected and the mail app itself.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Here are the other apple forum threads related to this issue - maybe someone else is familiar with a clever way to link them all up - please do so if you know how:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7226924
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7221489
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7226501
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7227219
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7230143

Sep 26, 2015 3:35 PM in response to Will 616

I may have the fIx. This was with the help of a Cox technician. I deleted the pop account I had, and re-created the account. In the process I discovered that Apple iOS 9 no longer offers the option of a pop account; only an IMAP account. The IMAP account will not function in the way that I would like. So the Cox technician showed me a trick that he used for Yosemite but was not sure wold work for the iPad. But it did. The trick is when you create a new (IMAP) account give it an incorrect gibberish username and password. Then it tells you that that information is not correct and when you are given the chance to fix it you now have the option of selecting a pop account. So far today, it's working. And as a matter of fact I got back the emails that got deleted when I deleted the account. Or at least most of them. I'm a little concerned about posting this on this community, because if Apple eliminated the pop account option they may plug this hole if they know it's there. Good luck to all!

Oct 3, 2015 12:59 PM in response to LdyGatr

I just saw your 9/26 post describing the fix you did with the help of a Cox tech. I'd like to know whether the remedy proved reliable beyond a day or two.

Also please clarify what you mean when referring to a gibberish username and password. That you were able to retrieve previously deleted emails is pretty impressive so I'm going to take this further.

Giving this a try should not entail any risk even if the loop hole has been closed because if the phone is backed up to the cloud before the mail account is deleted, then if there's a problem creating a new mail account the phone can be erased and restored from the ICloud backup where the old mail account will have been preserved. Thanks very much.

Oct 4, 2015 11:01 AM in response to Rontu2

I continue to have the issue of message content frequently deleted from my iPhone once the original email has been deleted from the server using outlook n my desktop.

I'm a non techie but have isolated the problem as follows, at least in regard to road runner, my provider and my pop3 accounts.

The iPhone automatically defaults to IMAP unless you check pop3. If you delete and restore an existing account, it will restore as imap with no choice. If you delete an account and set up a new pop3 account with garbage input, you can then change the information to match your original pop3 account.

The indication is that, even though a pop3 account has been set up on the iPhone, it may still act as an imap account and sometimes search the server rather than the phone for message content.

It is possible that IOS9 re - searched for defaults on all email accounts and those pop3 accounts that now default to imap were changed.

Apple is aware of this issue but I don't see anything happening at this time.

More information from all would be very helpful.

Oct 4, 2015 3:10 PM in response to Rontu2

LdyGatr wrote:

No, unfortunately when I woke up this morning the emails started disappearing again. So now I'm forced to set all of my devices to never delete from the server unless/until I delete from the device and I'll have to manually delete from the server as well as downloading to each device.

All,

Sorry to dash your hopes but very early in in this iOS 9 pop issue I deleted one of my accounts, went to the BT (uk email provider) and setup the account from scratch using the incorrect password trick to allow the selection of pop vice imap. You will not be surprised to learn that after 24 hours emails started to be replaced by the dreaded "cannot download" message.

Several of you have found ldygatr's post suggesting a fix - on one thread I asked how how it had gone after a day or so and her response is posted above. No fix, same as me. Those of you going down the route of deleting and re-setting up I would ask you to 1. Ensure you have set as pop not imap before posting it as a successful solution and 2. You wait 24 hours before posting it as a success. It's bad enough already without us spoofing each other into chicken bones/ ritual sacrifice solutions that sometimes do more damage than good. We need to be precise with our feedback and produce evidence based responses to Apple to aid / speed the solution.

Nov 17, 2015 7:57 AM in response to hamidfromgympie

I have a new IPad iOS 9.1 and I have a POP mail account.

I am having the same problem as all of you with the dreaded "This message has not been downloaded from the server".

After reading several threads, it really does seem to be an Apple issue. I have sent them feedback at:

http://www.appple.com/feedback and I would urge you all to do this too.

I am not a techie by any means, but I've wondered: if I bcc myself a copy of all the messages that I send, would this be

a way to at least keep a copy of it ? (I haven't tried yet).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.