Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes hangs when connecting iPad ios 9.0

I have just upgraded two ipads (mini and ipad Air) from ios 8 to ios 9.0. Previously these synced successfully with iTunes 12.1.2 on Windows XP

As required for ios 9.0 I updated iTunes on windows XP to 12.1.3.6. I now can not sync.

iTunes starts ok and I and can play music etc. When I plug in an iPad and iTunes recognises the device and the shows its name. When I then click on the iPad icon to attempt to view content on the ipad, itunes hangs. Same behaviour with both iPads

Further details

- iTunes v12.1.3.6 (latest as of 17/9/2014) on Windows XP Service pack 3

- iPad Mini and iPad Air both running ios 9.0, updated on 16/9/2015

- i am syncing through USB cable. Never set up iPads to use Wifi sync

Other Observations

- If I go to Settings / About on the mini iPad on the lines for Songs, Videos and Photos, rather than numbers of items it just says "loading...."

- if I log on to icloud.com from the PC, icloud thinks my devices are running ios 8.0 not 9.0

What I've tried

- DeInstalled itunes and all Apple components from PC, deleting directories etc. as per Apple guidance. Done this twice, with no change

- Have rebooted iPads

- Reset my sync history in iTunes preferences

- Deleted my iTunes library

- Set Autosync iPad to "No"

- Have set my antivirus software to exclude itunes and ipod directories

I've not done a "full reset" of the iPads as I have over 3,000 photos on the iPads that were loaded through iTunes which if I can't get sync to work, I won't be able to put back onto them.

All constructive comments welcome.

iPad Air, iOS 9, Itunes 12.1.3.6 on Windows XP

Posted on Sep 21, 2015 8:56 AM

6 replies

Oct 1, 2015 8:22 AM in response to Paul on Freya

Some additional observations

- Deleting all directories in C:\Documents and Settings\user\ Application Data\ for Apple and Apple Computer before reinstalling has no effect

Note I did this for my user name, "All Users" and "Default User"

- Reinstallation of iTunes was by a user with Admin Privilleges and is the only user on the PC. i.e. I'm attempting to sync from this user

- Same behaviour with IOS 9.0.1 on iPad

- itunes is hogging the CPU, running at 95%+ when viewed in Task Manager

- when I plug the ipad into the PC but don't start iTunes I can see the ipad from Windows Explorer in "My Computer" and can access photos in the camera roll with no problem. Once I start iTunes and attempt to access the iPad from it, I can no longer access the iPad from Windows explorer.

Oct 29, 2015 12:05 AM in response to Paul on Freya

I've seen something similar, but I don't have a solution. I think it has something to do with faulty support of ios 9 by the windows xp version of itunes, particularly with photo syncing.

I have an iphone 5 that already had over a thousand photos on it that have always synced fine. Around when I updated to ios 9, when I added a new batch, itunes would hang while syncing (cpu 100%). I would have to kill itunes and relaunch it. From then on, whenever I clicked on the iphone icon, to get to the device summary tab, it would hang again (cpu 100%). I tried everything I could think of, including uninstalling itunes and all Apple software and reinstalling, and a million other things you can find suggested on google and these forums, but no joy.

A few things that might help. While you cannot click on the device icon without hanging, you can go to the Music:Playlists window and right-click on your device in the left sidebar. This allows you to sync, restore, or back up. Of course if you sync again, it will hang, but you can restore an old back up. I know you can do this from icloud on the device too, but I thought that (newer) backup would be messed up as well, so I restored an old backup from the computer that I knew worked. Sure enough that backup copy was ok because I hadn't enabled photo syncing on it yet. Of course it was painful to try to catch up my iphone to all the changes I had made since.

Unfortunately, after that I could resync my old photos, but when I tried that new batch again, it would hang again (had to erase/restore again). I tried to go through each photo one-by-one, syncing by trial-and-error, but I could not narrow it down (unpredictable). I also checked if any file was "locked". Oddly, I synced those same new photos (and all my old photos) to both my old ipods (ipod classic 5.5g:1.3, and ipod touch 4g: ios 6.1.6) with no problem.

Here's something else you can try. I took my iphone to a (someone else's) Windows 10 computer. It already had itunes installed, but I created a new library for me, then connected the iphone. Voila, I could click on the device icon and no hang. Of course the library was empty so nothing to sync yet, but conceivably you could copy your library to a newer computer without having erase/restore your device and sync it there. When I took my iphone back to my main XP computer, hoping for a change, it of course still hung.

I hope someone at Apple can debug this problem since a lot of people still use XP. I see they are still supporting it somewhat with the 12.1.3.6 release last month, which is a good sign, so thanks for that.

I have the latest version of Windows XP-SP3 with all the updates, the latest version of ios 9.1, and the latest version of itunes 12.1.3.6.

Oct 29, 2015 6:57 AM in response to miopic

A few Vista users have also reported syncing issues with 12.1.3.6, perhaps limited to specific models of iPad. One or two say they can sync their iPhone but not their iPad: Itunes no longer supports Ipad using Vista. I would be interested to know if there's a Windows problem report when these hangs occur, but I don't recall how to view those on XP.

Nov 5, 2015 10:13 AM in response to Paul on Freya

Hello Paul on Freya, you are probably getting AppHangB1 errors like the iPad Air user running iTunes 12.1.3.6 on 32-bit Vista in Does iTunes Version 12.1.3.6 work with iOS9.1? Resetting the iPad as new might make the problem go away, but (a) you probably can't do that on your XP PC because it will hang, and (b) one iPhone user running 12.1.3.6 says the hangs came back after a couple of syncs: iTunes crashes hard on accessing iphonep. Sorry I can't be of more help.

iTunes hangs when connecting iPad ios 9.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.