Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ATV 4 won't play my movies that play on ATV 3

I'm having more problems with this new ATV!!

Getting a message, "This content cannot be played because its format is not compatible with the Apple TV" when trying to play movies from the home library.

They played just fine with the previous model. ***.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Posted on Nov 6, 2015 2:18 PM

53 replies

Jul 22, 2017 3:52 PM in response to Winston Churchill

"Virtually no one else has had this problem"? Have you not read this thread?! I suppose it's more enjoyable to air your pompositity about rather than supply helpful insight.

I've literally performed an A to B comparison. Subject A (the newest ATV, updated to the latest os) does not perform to the level that Subject B (the ATV3) does. Conclusion, the new Apple TVs either lack or prohibit certain formats.

The new one will be going back.

Jul 22, 2017 4:14 PM in response to Elan01

Elan01 wrote:

"Virtually no one else has had this problem"? Have you not read this thread?! I suppose it's more enjoyable to air your pompositity about rather than supply helpful insight.

Clearly, you haven't read it (properly) or else you wouldn't have asked if I had since I've participated in it.

Once again you have demonstrated the need for you to think (at least a little) before you burst into a tantrum and start blaming others, there are 5 people in this thread (yes, count them - virtually no one) complaining that the Apple TV 4 doesn't read the same formats as the Apple TV 3 did, I'm sure there might be another 5 or 6 somewhere but it's really quite insignificant given that tens of millions of Apple TV's have been sold over nearly 2 years.

The Apple TV 4 plays the formats that Apple claims it does, additionally I also know that it will play conversions made using handbrake if done properly, if they don't for you, it's because you chose to make (or perhaps didn't think and just went ahead anyway) non-standard conversions. Either way, return it if that's what you want to do.

Nov 7, 2015 5:55 AM in response to gr8fl4295

Are the files that you're having trouble with in the .mp4 format? There's a known issue involving MPEG-4 files that is likely to be a bug of some sort. I have .mp4 files that worked normally on an ATV 2nd gen, as well as in OS X and in the Videos app on iOS, but don't work with the ATV 4th gen. Some people have said that using the Plex app solves the issue with .mp4 files, but I haven't tried it myself. Also, there should be a tvOS update coming out soon and it's possible it might contain a fix for this issue.

Nov 7, 2015 11:18 AM in response to brifly33

If you're doing any new rips from DVD, use the .m4v format. That will definitely work with the 4th gen Apple TV. You can also go under File/Create New Version/Create iPad or Apple TV Version to convert .mp4 files to .m4v. That will create an additional version of your rip in an .m4v format. I'm not suggesting you try and convert your entire library that way, just for files that you want to watch now. Odds are that a near term update to tvOS could clear up the compatibility issue with .mp4 files.

ATV 4 won't play my movies that play on ATV 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.