Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trackpad Freezing

Hello, Apple Community. I recently purchased back in February a 13.3 inch MacBook Pro Retina and it's already giving me a problem. It has recently has started freezing the trackpad and the wired mouse that I have connected. It's done this a couple times already. I don't exactly know what to do about it other than restart my computer, but I feel like this shouldn't be happening it's practically a brand new computer. I think it's software related, but I could be wrong. I updated El Capitan to 10.11.4. That's the only thing that I've done. Anyone else having this issue? Is there a fix? Thanks Guys!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Mar 27, 2016 2:18 PM

46 replies

Apr 1, 2017 5:14 AM in response to RaheemJamaal

Hi there,

I've had the exact same problem since I bought my Macbook Pro Retina early 2015. I'm new to apple and this is my first laptop so I didnt think to check here. It seems this is a common problem!? As you describe - my laptop carries on running in whatever programs I have open but I lose all function of the trackpad. I can toggle through screens but that's it. I am forced to turn off the laptop using the power button. It is an intermittent problem, usually happening after long usage.

It is currently in for repair, as the screen was damaged, so I have notified the insurer to check this out also.

Perhaps I should also inform Apple?

Mar 27, 2016 11:15 PM in response to RaheemJamaal

There are two main troubleshooting steps I suggest completing to begin troubleshooting your unresponsive touchpad. These steps are resetting the NVRAM and the SMC on your Mac and instructions for each can be found in the articles below.

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Trackpad Freezing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.