Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS Sierra Mail not showing Paper Clip icon for Attachments

Since I upgraded from El Capitan to OS Sierra, my Cox Pop e-mail accounts no longer show a Paper Clip icon when there is an attachment (or multiple attachments).

The attachments are coming through ok (i.e. you can open them), but you have to open each individual e-mail to actually see that there is an attachment.

My iCloud (IMAP) account still shows the Paper Clip icon when there are attachments. I have not changed any server settings since upgrading to OS Sierra.

The problem occurs on both my Mac Pro and my MacBook pro, so it is not isolated to a single machine.

Because I use my Mac for my business, I receive a lot of e-mails with attachments, at it is a huge pain to have to open each one to determine if there is an attachment.

Has anyone else found a solution to this problem?

Mac Pro Dual 3Ghz / 17" 2.4Ghz MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5), 4GB RAM / 4GB RAM

Posted on Nov 1, 2016 12:30 PM

33 replies

Jan 13, 2017 3:30 AM in response to Bruce 55

Same problem for me:

- When I send POP emails, I can remove attachments in the sent folder.

- Only when I receive emails, there is no way to remove the attachments.

See also my other thread:

Sierra Mail - Remove Attachments doesn't work!

(+ an old thread where you can read about an earlier occurance of this problem:

After using "Remove Attachments" emails appear to be corrupted (Yosemite 10.10.5))

Jan 10, 2017 12:04 PM in response to Bruce 55

When I was on with support from Apple they never mentioned that once. Basically came down to them wanting me to do a clean install of the OS which I opted to ignore for obvious reasons. If it POP mail was working fine on my MacBook Pro but not my iMac, then I would try but when I get the exact same problem on multiple machines I am feeling pretty comfortable with ruling out the OS. Apple certainly seems to have gone backwards, I used to be excited with every update as they brought useful features that made life easier. Now not so much. Can't see if I have an attachment in my mail but I do have larger emoticons though so that is progress.... 😕

Jan 10, 2017 2:26 PM in response to J.D.L.

Same here, paper clip missing from approx Oct 2016 onwards, but for Inbox only - Sent appears unaffected, which is still showing the clip even for the most recent ones, and yes, it's a POP account.

The ability to remove attachments still seems to be available (it's still in the Message menu) but appears to be active only if the paper clip is present.

Believe this post is not that large (yet) because for the average user this issue might not be that noticeable - I didn't realise until I came across this post!

Not sure how many of us still use POP but would think it's now getting quite small when compared to IMAP and if that's the case we might not be high on Apple's priority list for a fix.

Jan 12, 2017 8:32 AM in response to J.D.L.

Exact same problem on a brand new MacBook pro with freshly installed 10.12.2 (using POP) Have suffered this problem for years -- 10.10 workaround (apply a filter and the paperclips magically appear and are operative) no longer works. Apple, this cannot be that hard to fix. At least, don't make it worse!

Jan 12, 2017 1:35 PM in response to gdyson

While ever mail embeds the attachment as inline instead of an attachment it will be as it is and the only work around is the sent method - Apple does need to fix this because contrary to some general belief POP mail is still relevant when dealing with attachment storage - I simply cant store my attachments on servers so I need to be able to delete them and keep the body of the email in tact - would it be possible for someone to write a script to achieve this like the script Rich in Space wrote when apple mail was making emails unreadable when an attachment was removed a few versions ago - apple take note please of a simple rule of thumb "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Jan 22, 2017 11:34 PM in response to J.D.L.

Just to update on issue, following Bug Report submission I have received the following:

Engineering has determined that your bug report (29964955) is a duplicate of another issue (7177567) and will be closed.

Although we still have know idea if Apple are actually working towards a fix (but it's likely if they reply to a Bug Report) we can take it that they are now aware of the problem.

Feb 16, 2017 8:34 AM in response to J.D.L.

I've got the same problem too. After upgrading to Sierra on Oct 4th, mail doesn't show the paperclip icon when receiving a mail with attachments in my inbox. It only affects my pop-accounts. Imap hasn't this problem.

It must be a known issue to Apple but why does it remain silent from their side??

Mar 8, 2017 3:28 AM in response to J.D.L.

Brand new £3k mac, been a Mac user since the mid 90's. I have rarely had to post a message or contact support. However it is becoming more frequent, please release fewer new OS's and test them better first.

I cannot see my attachements in my Mail, after an upgrade from Yosemite. By the looks of this thread, its not somthing that can be fixed. Another function disregarded while Apple focuses on the mass )more profitable) novelty market and ignore the core users. They have a duty to keep functionality, when they have such a monopoly.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.