Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2016 15" butterfly keyboard problem

Hi

On my new MacBook Pro 2016 15", all keys (butterfly) works perfectly - except the enter key. Even though it does work, It doesn't "click" and you can't feel your are pressing it down - it feels like pressing the metal next to it.

It worked fine the first week.

Anybody experiencing this problem?

Thanks

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.1)

Posted on Dec 5, 2016 1:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2017 9:52 AM

Guys, after reading around, I've solved this.

There's so much less space around and under the new keyboard, that dust and little dirt effects the keyboard much quicker. I simply blew fiercely around and under the stuck key, and it promptly worked again.

75 replies

Jan 4, 2017 11:55 PM in response to MojoDK

I'm danish too and have the same problem - I'm so annoyed. It's the enter key, but other random keys also gets stuck (still working, but the key does not move/click when pressed) - right now it's Arrow up, Enter and the danish letter Æ. I really miss the keyboard of my old Macbook Pro Retina (and the ports) - this keyboard is crap and SO noisy when typing fast :-/

Feb 14, 2017 2:21 PM in response to MojoDK

My MacBook Pro 13" is 2 weeks old, and since the 2nd day of having it the 'm' key was sticking, or not responding, but also wasn't making a click. Then it cleared up and the 'enter' key started doing it. Then that cleared up and my 'up arrow' was doing the same thing. Now the 'm' and 'up arrow' are both doing it along with the 'b' key and '3' key. Haven't had a chance to take it in to the store, but will be very soon.

Mar 18, 2017 2:30 AM in response to alexandre1981

Since this morning my space is also not working properly and one more key. I have tried tricks from the net and here, stometimes it works, sometimes it does not.

My whole life I have been on Dell and windows. I finally decide to invest and got Mac Book Pro, and like it, but this...

is not an investment, this is waste of money. So I am going to ask for my refund, because I see a LOT of people

have this problem or even when they got a new one, they again have the problem.

They should LOWER the price, or say to use it only on planet where there is no dust.

I do not know if I am overreacting, but I feel a disappointed because after Windows, this was a nice change....maybe in October, after i see the keyboard and check for issues. When I was buying, I did not find this keyboard issue, and more people should know about this..

As i type, I have to go back to fix missing keys mistakes 🙂)

Mar 18, 2017 2:45 AM in response to MojoDK

The problem with this keyboard is that it's to flat. Even the smallest amount of dust will block keys. I vacuum the keyboard at least once a week. No eating in front of the MacBook and prevent dusty environments.

But this blocking of keys will be a recurring problem for all users of this MacBook Pro. If only I had chosen the previous generation...

The Apple Store can fix a blocked key within 5 minutes. Just by lifting and cleaning it. Apple must teach users of these MacBooks how to do clean the keys themselves and provide a tool for removing the keys and a lifetime guarantee on the keyboard.

It's a great machine, but this keyboard is a failure.

Apr 22, 2017 8:24 PM in response to MojoDK

I've had this problem with the 12" macbook. A speck of dust broke the shift key within 3 weeks, so I got a full refund since it was covered under the Australian Consumer Laws 30 day return policy, since Apple won't admit the structural fault in their new butterfly style keyboards.

I then purchased the 13" macbook pro 2016 with a "new and improved" butterfly keyboard to have the same thing happen 2 weeks after purchase. Returned it again, got another one.

I'm just going to repeat this process every 30 days until the next model is released, hopefully then the newer model won't be so susceptible to flecks of household dust.

Or I start using my macbooks in a hermetically sealed room with a cryovac suit on.

Here is a conversation with Applecare about the problem that Apple refuses to identify when you go in store with stuck keys:

https://www.4shared.com/music/8YeBZN75ca/macbook-pro-2016-keyboard-dust.html

Jun 6, 2017 6:56 AM in response to MojoDK

Hello,

I want to share my experience with Macbook Pro 15 2016 with TB.

i brought the laptop two months ago and it has been already to service for for 3 times:

-The first problem was the pooping sound issue (random noises from the macbook). They changed the uppercase of the laptop without resolving the issue.

-i went fot the second time with the same problem and they changed the screen (the issue seems to be resolved after that)

-After that i noticed that some keys in my keyboard make a strange noise (a metalic one) so i went to the service for the third time. They change again the upper case.

One week now i noticed that the issue with the keyboard is still exist, so i contact the Service to find a solution. The answer that i got was that they understand the issue but they dont have anything to do about it and i need to accept it. So i asked them a writing aswer that the problem exist and they cant do anything about it and also that the apple doesnt recognizes this as an issue.

I have many products from apple and until now i was very happy. For the first time i brought something so expensive (3300 euro) with so many problems and the worst part is that the service cant help me.

i am very disapointed with this situation and with the customer support

Sorry for my English

Jun 7, 2017 5:37 AM in response to MojoDK

The caps lock misses key presses since day one. Tab key started double registering after around 2 months. A week ago it was turn of the b (typed that 3 f^*#&G times) missing key presses, and now the left arrow as well. And, as the cherry on the pie, the right tweeter blew up. I travel around and need the machine to work, so I can't afford to remain without laptop for 2 weeks while they (maybe) repair it. What am I supposed to do, uh? Thank you Apple, thank you.

Jun 15, 2017 9:16 AM in response to MojoDK

I have experienced the same problem as well and send my macbook in for repair. My down arrows key felt completely different more squishy and didn't respond to every press. Then my N key started to sound more clicky and didn't respond to every press as well. My track pad started locking out as i could still move it but couldn't click anything.

So we will see if this is covered under warranty or if they will try to charge me for the repairs. I should have it back within the next couple days.

I have the 15" Macbook Pro 2016 touchbar. I got it brand new Jan 2017 and it's Jun 2017 so it lasted months before breaking.

MacBook Pro 2016 15" butterfly keyboard problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.