Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error -36 launching files from time capsule

Hi,

I'm having troubles with my time capsule, starting from today I can't launch an app double clicking on an associated file.

For every file I tried I got the same error 36:

User uploaded file

The files themselves seem to be ok, I can copy them out of the capsule and, when on my desktop, I can launch them without any problem. I can open the files from the "menu open" inside the app as well.

What is wrong, I should worry about the integrity of the time capsule disk?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.2), Time Capsule

Posted on Dec 15, 2016 12:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2016 6:33 PM

Thanks! This worked for me.

Additional details:

Connect Server is under the "Go" menu. Here is the sample of the server address I entered: smb://10.0.1.1 (it's the TC IP address). Then I connect to that server rather than the default TC link.

44 replies

Jan 16, 2017 10:44 AM in response to pipe0millan

pipe0millan wrote:

I have this same issue! Why would Apple take more than a month to fix this? Obviously is affecting all of us! Is there a way to make them take urgency on this matter?

FWIW, if you mean by "all of us" those who posted, that is not the global "all of us". But, Apple doesn't do a new release just for one bug. You'll just have to wait for 10.12.3.

Dec 15, 2016 1:12 PM in response to ApteryxMAC

At the moment I can't be sure if the problem started just after the upgrade to 10.12.2 or if worked for a while.

I don't recall either, since I never had reason to launch an app residing on a TC. It may be a bug, but there is no reason to believe anything is wrong with the TC.

For what it's worth it also occurs on hard disk drives connected to the TC's USB port, so that's even less reason to suspect anything wrong with the TC itself.

Error -36 launching files from time capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.