Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Unable to activate Touch ID on this iPhone"

This is the message I receive after every restart or hard reboot. Touch ID had been working just fine on my iPhone 6s Plus with 10.2.1, but just stopped. When I go into Touch ID & Passcode, "Add a Fingerprint..." is grayed out, and all toggles for what to use Touch ID are toggled off, and when I try to change them, to on, I get the message "Failed Unable to complete Touch ID setup. Please go back and try again."

From what I can find on these forums and online (Forbes has a couple of good articles on this), I do not appear to be alone with this issue, but I have yet to see any fixes.

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 10.2.1

Posted on Mar 2, 2017 12:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2017 7:55 PM

Hi, I have an iPhone 7 and I have the same problem. Since my home button isn’t actually controlled with “mechanism” it just simply doesn’t work anymore. The phone keeps sending me a notification about how it cannot enable Touch ID. I do not have Apple Care for my phone so if I bring it to the Apple Store will I have to pay?

112 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2017 7:55 PM in response to rrbjr50

Hi, I have an iPhone 7 and I have the same problem. Since my home button isn’t actually controlled with “mechanism” it just simply doesn’t work anymore. The phone keeps sending me a notification about how it cannot enable Touch ID. I do not have Apple Care for my phone so if I bring it to the Apple Store will I have to pay?

Jun 4, 2017 11:59 AM in response to rrbjr50

Ok....after much frustration I got my Touch ID to work. But I'm sure it isn't a permanent fix. I've tried all other suggestions.

1st I turned my passcode off.

I turned my phone off for about 5-10 min

I turned it back on , Went to Settings, selected the Touch ID &Passcode button. I then selected one of the slide buttons under "USE TOUCH ID FOR"

I was then told I needed a passcode first. Put in a passcode and it asked if I want to keep my fingerprints. I hope this works for everyone.

Mar 2, 2017 12:35 PM in response to Gus

Thanks Gus, but this does not help (other than the last point where I should take it to an Apple Store I guess). I cannot get the phone to the point of inputting my fingerprint. I guess I was hoping that since this has commopnly been reported with ios 10.2.1(see https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2017/02/01/apple-ios-10-2-1-touchid-bug -bluetooth-problems-screen-brightness/#a…) that somebody would have developed a fix without having to take it back to the store

Apr 29, 2017 6:17 AM in response to Poldmr

Unless Apple changed the display, it would not work afterwards. Only Apple has the ability to repair displays and home buttons and retain fingerprint function. If Apple did your repair work, then take it back to them as both the work and parts are warranties for a minimum of 90 days.

If a third party shop did the repairs, then you are stuck with dealing with them as Apple typically will no longer work on a device once non-Apple certified technicians have opened it and made changes.

Jul 17, 2018 6:37 AM in response to salomfromongwediva

If you are unable to activate Touch ID your phone has a hardware problem. There is no solution other than to have Apple repair it. The most common cause of this error is having the screen or HOME button replaced by an unqualified technician. In this case there is nothing you can do; Apple won't touch it if it has been repaired outside of Apple's repair service.

If the screen has never been replaced then it's just a random failure; make an appointment with an Apple store or Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP): Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Jun 3, 2017 4:59 AM in response to babsodubanjo

same issue.

This is the worst support from the leading manufacturer/brand. If I assume, that there is hardware issue with the touch id of my phone, but it is hard to believe that it happened for hundreds of users as well and that definitely means, touch ID hardware is of poor quality. In any case, this raises questions on Apple Brand, which is the favorite brand of users.

Another weird thing is, if touch id scanner is not working, they need to change the complete display which costs approx 50 % of the New Iphone (current value). Iphone 6 prices are depreciated to half in these 2 years, but the cost of the hardware part is still same for the users...

Jun 4, 2017 4:17 AM in response to rrbjr50

This problem just started today for me. Exactly as described here. Got my screen replaced a few weeks ago and Touch ID has been working fine until just today. Does anyone know why it might suddenly have gone? People here said it might be a software issue, but I can't remember downloading any new software yesterday. Super annoying.

Aug 13, 2018 11:00 AM in response to bikashfromoman

If you are unable to activate Touch ID your phone almost certainly has a hardware problem. There is no solution other than to have Apple repair it. The most common cause of this error is having the screen or HOME button replaced by an unqualified technician. In this case there is nothing you can do; Apple won't touch it if it has been repaired outside of Apple's repair service.

If the screen has never been replaced then it's just a random failure; make an appointment with an Apple store or Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP): Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

There is a slim chance the problem is not hardware. The easy way to find out is to restore the iPhone using iTunes and set it up as New, without restoring your backup (you can restore the backup later after completing this diagnostic step).

See: Restore your iOS device to factory settings - Apple Support

and: Restore your iOS device from a backup - Apple Support

If you cannot activate Touch ID on a phone reset to factory specifications then it is definitely a hardware problem.

Mar 2, 2017 12:48 PM in response to rrbjr50

The only sources that forbes article sites are just links to some posts from people here. It really is a p-poor bit of journalism as it cites no evidence whatsoever for any large spread nor systematic error. It's little more than a personal blog post, not professional technical journalism.

That said, if you just reset the iPhone can you setup fingerprint entry again? You can always call Apple or take it in to a store for a free evaluation if you suspect an actual hardware issue with your phone.

Aug 19, 2017 2:17 AM in response to rrbjr50

Hey, have the same issue with my iPhone 6s. One fine day the touch ID stopped working and I took it to the Apple store. They checked the phone and advised that its a hardware failure. On asking for the reason for this, I was told its due to normal wear and tear for which I mentioned to them that my iPhone 5s has a touch ID and has no issues in 4 years, but they din't have an answer to that. They offered me a new phone if i pay 50% of the cost. :(

So Apple doesnt have a solution to this and we all have to get used to using the phone without the Touch ID or get a new phone.

.. disappointed Apple User

"Unable to activate Touch ID on this iPhone"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.