Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: iPhone 6 screen freezes after iOS 10.3.1 update

It's the first time it happens to me, after updating to the latest IOS the phone started working wrong, the screen freezes, it turns off alone and it opens apps and chats without touching the screen. I think it's a problem of the update as many iphone 6 an iphone 6 plus are having the same issue. I tried almost everything but it didn't worked.

I'll be very grateful if you can solve it.

iPhone 6, iOS 10.3.1

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Apr 11, 2017 11:26 PM in response to ff80uru In response to ff80uru

I have the same issue that has happened on my iphone 6 with IOS10.3.1 just recently.

Phone stops responding. I have to put it to sleep mode and then wake it up. Sometimes once, sometimes twice to make it unfreeze. Seems very random. Sometimes several times per minute. sometimes once every 30 minutes...

I have tried all solutions proposed online but none solved the problem:

1. Reset network settings

2. Updated all firmware and apps

3. Cleaned the screen

4. Hard Reset via on/off + home button

5. I even restored the whole phone via Itunes as new phone

Nothing works. Extremely frustrated right now....... 😟

Apr 13, 2017 11:25 AM in response to ff80uru In response to ff80uru

I updated yesterday and have the same problem. Screen goes black while I am typing. Happened 6 times just now while writing a long email. 3 times in a 5 minute period. Nothing wrong with my screen. It is clearly specific to 10.3.1

If I press lock and fingerprint unlock I can continue. But I will call this release a mess.

Apr 13, 2017 8:24 PM in response to ff80uru In response to ff80uru

I Have the same problem. But it this will help. a couple of weeks I had to reset my iPhone 6 Plus because this same problem started happening with the 10.3.1 beta version. It was all the same. Touch screen would not respond. I would press a letter and another would type. So I restored my phone and got to an official iOS version and just yesterday I updated it forgetting about the problems that 10.3.1 version has on y iPhone 6 Plus. Please send an update so that this problem can be fixed. It is the new update that causes this problem on the 6 Plus version.

Apr 8, 2017 2:47 PM in response to ff80uru In response to ff80uru

Hi, ff80uru!

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

After reading your post, I understand that the touch screen on your iPhone 6 is not functioning as expected; it will become unresponsive at times, and other times it will select apps without input from you. You've also noticed that the iPhone will unexpectedly shut down. I rely on my iPhone every day, so I know it's important for it to work as expected. I'd be happy to help.

To troubleshoot the touch screen of your iPhone, I recommend utilizing this article: If the screen on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch doesn't respond to touch

You can use the instructions here to help with the iPhone unexpectedly shutting down: If your iOS device restarts or displays the Apple logo or a spinning gear unexpectedly

If you continue to have trouble with your iPhone 6 after using those articles, please get in touch with Apple Support directly for additional assistance. You can reach them here: Contact Apple Support

Have a lovely day.

Apr 18, 2017 1:29 AM in response to ff80uru In response to ff80uru

I have the same problem, bought it to Apple store and the guy told me it must be the screen problem and has to be replaced at my expense.

First of all, how can it be a hardware problem? If it is hardware issue, it just dies and never works again.

To those who are interested, I tried reinstalling iOS 10.3.1 using alternative methods found online. It's not the best solution but it improves a little (problem still exist but much less frequent).

In my point of view, Apple is no different to taking my phone and smash it into pieces.

This is clearly software vandalism on Apple's part and our phones should be repaired or replaced immediately.

I hope someone will lawyer up or take this issue public since they can't be bother looking or responding to the issue.

Such a irresponsible company, just like other telco.

Apr 20, 2017 6:03 AM in response to ff80uru In response to ff80uru

I have an iPhone 5s, and after iOS 10.3.1 upgrade a few days ago, my touch screen stopped working to the point that my phone has become unusable. The phone will swipe screens and open apps randomly without me asking it to, make other letters appear while typing, and the phone icons will stop responding to touch. Putting it to sleep mode and wiping the screen with a cloth helped a little, but it ran back to all the problems again after a few minutes of usage.

I took my phone to the Genius Bar yesterday. Apple staff ran diagnostics and determined that it was NOT a hardware issue. I tried all of the followings so far but none of them worked.

1. I ran "Restore iPhone" through iTunes to reset my phone to factory settings, followed by "Restore Backup" through iTunes. Multi-touch problem persisted.

2. Unconnected to iTunes, I ran "Settings -> General -> Reset -> Erase All Content and Settings", which reset it back to factory settings. I then set it up as a new phone by downloading a few apps from app store based on what I need only, without restoring any backup. Multi-touch problem persisted.

3. Unconnected to iTunes, I ran "Reset All settings" on my phone. I then set it up as a new phone by downloading a more apps from app store based on what I need only, without restoring any backup. I also synced with iTunes to copy some music back. Multi-touch problem persisted.

4. I deleted one app that I thought might cause config issue and I turned off all notifications, but didn't help. Multi-touch problem persisted.

After reading this thread, I now firmly believe that this problem is iOS 10.3.1 related. I would like to know: 1. When Apple can provide software update for a fix, and 2. If I can go back to iOS 10.2.x somehow for my phone. If anyone from Apple is reading this, please advise.

Apr 17, 2017 6:11 AM in response to ff80uru In response to ff80uru

We are seeing the same problem with employees phones that updated to 10.3.1. it renders their phones useless. Key staff cannot be reached when an emergency happens. As an electric utility this a serious problem. Only fix we have found is too hard restart phone and wait for it to happen again.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Apr 8, 2017 2:47 PM in response to ff80uru In response to ff80uru

Hi, ff80uru!

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

After reading your post, I understand that the touch screen on your iPhone 6 is not functioning as expected; it will become unresponsive at times, and other times it will select apps without input from you. You've also noticed that the iPhone will unexpectedly shut down. I rely on my iPhone every day, so I know it's important for it to work as expected. I'd be happy to help.

To troubleshoot the touch screen of your iPhone, I recommend utilizing this article: If the screen on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch doesn't respond to touch

You can use the instructions here to help with the iPhone unexpectedly shutting down: If your iOS device restarts or displays the Apple logo or a spinning gear unexpectedly

If you continue to have trouble with your iPhone 6 after using those articles, please get in touch with Apple Support directly for additional assistance. You can reach them here: Contact Apple Support

Have a lovely day.

Apr 8, 2017 2:47 PM

Reply Helpful (16)

Apr 11, 2017 11:26 PM in response to ff80uru In response to ff80uru

I have the same issue that has happened on my iphone 6 with IOS10.3.1 just recently.

Phone stops responding. I have to put it to sleep mode and then wake it up. Sometimes once, sometimes twice to make it unfreeze. Seems very random. Sometimes several times per minute. sometimes once every 30 minutes...

I have tried all solutions proposed online but none solved the problem:

1. Reset network settings

2. Updated all firmware and apps

3. Cleaned the screen

4. Hard Reset via on/off + home button

5. I even restored the whole phone via Itunes as new phone

Nothing works. Extremely frustrated right now....... 😟

Apr 11, 2017 11:26 PM

Reply Helpful (65)

Apr 12, 2017 12:44 AM in response to Racetwin2 In response to Racetwin2

I m also having the same problem i have searched alot and also did all the steps like cleaning the screen turning on off factory reset but still not working

I don't know everybody is having the same problem so why Apple is not responding to it

Apr 12, 2017 12:44 AM

Reply Helpful (24)

Apr 12, 2017 6:28 PM in response to ff80uru In response to ff80uru

I had the same problem. It only happened at home. It turned out the charger went bad. I had to replace the little white cube with another one. Magically the problem went away and never came back.

It was the most insane thing ever. Apps would open and close, it wouldn't respond to the touch screen.

If I can help just one person, it's all worth it.

Apr 12, 2017 6:28 PM

Reply Helpful

Apr 13, 2017 11:25 AM in response to ff80uru In response to ff80uru

I updated yesterday and have the same problem. Screen goes black while I am typing. Happened 6 times just now while writing a long email. 3 times in a 5 minute period. Nothing wrong with my screen. It is clearly specific to 10.3.1

If I press lock and fingerprint unlock I can continue. But I will call this release a mess.

Apr 13, 2017 11:25 AM

Reply Helpful (26)

Apr 13, 2017 8:24 PM in response to ff80uru In response to ff80uru

I Have the same problem. But it this will help. a couple of weeks I had to reset my iPhone 6 Plus because this same problem started happening with the 10.3.1 beta version. It was all the same. Touch screen would not respond. I would press a letter and another would type. So I restored my phone and got to an official iOS version and just yesterday I updated it forgetting about the problems that 10.3.1 version has on y iPhone 6 Plus. Please send an update so that this problem can be fixed. It is the new update that causes this problem on the 6 Plus version.

Apr 13, 2017 8:24 PM

Reply Helpful (17)

Apr 14, 2017 4:55 PM in response to ff80uru In response to ff80uru

Hi, I'm having the same problem. Obviously there is a problem with the (update iOS 10.3.1) My phones is a iPhone 6S . Could try restoring phone or device and see if that helps. To bad they have some bugs with this update and will have to wait for Apple to resolve them. Hopefully sooner rather then later. Please Apple fix iOS. My phone would freeze when using iTunes and would freeze exactly at the 29th song played in the playlist and trying to change songs.

Apr 14, 2017 4:55 PM

Reply Helpful

Apr 17, 2017 6:11 AM in response to ff80uru In response to ff80uru

We are seeing the same problem with employees phones that updated to 10.3.1. it renders their phones useless. Key staff cannot be reached when an emergency happens. As an electric utility this a serious problem. Only fix we have found is too hard restart phone and wait for it to happen again.

Apr 17, 2017 6:11 AM

Reply Helpful (5)

Apr 17, 2017 8:47 AM in response to ff80uru In response to ff80uru

We are having the same problem here with an employee who updated his 6 Plus to iOS 10.3.1 - phone is not responding to touch correctly. If you have the number pad on the screen and press the 0 you can see that the 2 presses instead. Renders the phone useless as you cannot press where you need to in order to open apps or swipe or type or anything.

Hard reset only fixes temporarily sometimes.

We also wiped the phone and did a restore to reinstall the iOS but the problem remained.

Hopefully will have a new iOS update to try to fix this soon!

Apr 17, 2017 8:47 AM

Reply Helpful

Apr 17, 2017 2:19 PM in response to Keithkytsang In response to Keithkytsang

I have the same problem ! When is on main screen down part of the touch don't work but if I enter Safari the zone start working but when start write something start move around by itself, but if I want go back it's no problem HELP PLEASE !

Apr 17, 2017 2:19 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: ff80uru

Question: iPhone 6 screen freezes after iOS 10.3.1 update