Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Locked Macbook and Hacked appleID

User uploaded file

I was working on my macbook when suddenly i got locked out and got to this screen.

At the same time on my email thru phone i checked that someone accessed my apple id.

I also received an email from found my iphone that my computer is locked

User uploaded file

I quickly changed all my itune store passwords and even my email passwords. But i dont know how to unlock my mac

Posted on Apr 28, 2017 11:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2017 12:03 PM

Hi there, Henry!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you have issues with your Mac being locked. Changing your passwords is a great step to start with. We also suggest checking out this article If you think your Apple ID has been compromised to be sure your Apple ID is totally secure.

For the issue specifically with your Mac being locked, what you are seeing is what happens when using this article iCloud: Use Lost Mode . Specifically, since you do not know the passcode to unlock the screen:

Turn off Lost Mode or change your contact info

You can turn off Lost Mode by entering the passcode on the device, or by following the steps below. You can also follow the steps below to change the contact information displayed on your lost device.

Note: If your credit and debit cards for Apple Pay were suspended because you put your device in Lost Mode, when you turn off Lost Mode and sign in to iCloud, you can resume using your cards.

1. Go to Find My iPhone on iCloud.com.

If you don’t see Find My iPhone on iCloud.com, your account just has access to iCloud web-only features. To gain access to Find My iPhone and other iCloud features, set up iCloud on your iOS device or Mac.

2. Click All Devices, then select the device that’s in Lost Mode.

3. Click Lost Mode, then change the information or click Stop Lost Mode.

Have a great day!
69 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2017 12:03 PM in response to henryherma1

Hi there, Henry!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you have issues with your Mac being locked. Changing your passwords is a great step to start with. We also suggest checking out this article If you think your Apple ID has been compromised to be sure your Apple ID is totally secure.

For the issue specifically with your Mac being locked, what you are seeing is what happens when using this article iCloud: Use Lost Mode . Specifically, since you do not know the passcode to unlock the screen:

Turn off Lost Mode or change your contact info

You can turn off Lost Mode by entering the passcode on the device, or by following the steps below. You can also follow the steps below to change the contact information displayed on your lost device.

Note: If your credit and debit cards for Apple Pay were suspended because you put your device in Lost Mode, when you turn off Lost Mode and sign in to iCloud, you can resume using your cards.

1. Go to Find My iPhone on iCloud.com.

If you don’t see Find My iPhone on iCloud.com, your account just has access to iCloud web-only features. To gain access to Find My iPhone and other iCloud features, set up iCloud on your iOS device or Mac.

2. Click All Devices, then select the device that’s in Lost Mode.

3. Click Lost Mode, then change the information or click Stop Lost Mode.

Have a great day!

Aug 5, 2017 8:33 AM in response to henryherma1

My iCloud account was hacked by source supposedly from Kalunga Russia. My MacBook Pro and iMac desktop both show a lockout screen on start up and ask for a four digit PIN on my MacBook and a six digit PIN on my iMac Desktop. It says to email apple.device@gmx.com

There are reported fixes on REDDIT stating that resetting the PRAM / NVRAM by rebooting three times with the OPTION COMMAND P R keyboard combination will unlock the computer. I tried this and it does to work.

macosx - MacOS Ransomware with EFI Lock - Information Security Stack Exchange

Obviously someone has figured out how to hack into iCloud accounts bypassing two factor identification. This is a serious problem and Apple seems to be ignoring it as there is no information form Apple as to how to fix the problem or prevent icon accounts from being hacked. I assume Apple does not want to admit to security weaknesses.

If anyone has any information about this please post.

Aug 11, 2017 12:35 AM in response to ohjtt

User uploaded file

I have contacted the support team and they told me to bring my purchase invoice and leave the laptop at their service center for a week for them to reboot the laptop (all data gone). at the service center I went to today, I met 5 other people who have the same problem and they got the same treatment. I do not think that this is a good answer because all of this happen because our apple ids were compromised, and how come we cannot unlock our laptop when we have secured our apple id?

Aug 5, 2017 8:58 AM in response to mirvine1

I was hacked too. My screen showed a 6 digit pin but now just shows "your computer is disabled try again in 60 minutes" when I reboot and "wrong passcode try again" after the 60 minutes elapses.

It also displays write to email: apple.device@gmx.com

Out of helplessness since I haven't been able to find any solutions online and there is no Apple store in Nigeria. I sent the hacker $100 in Bitcoin in the hope he would be merciful enough to release the password to me. Well... i had no such luck. He is simply ignoring my mails now.

Apple really needs to own up to this and provide a fix just like Windows did during the "wannacry" attacks.

Aug 9, 2017 8:59 PM in response to henryherma1

Same problem. Idk what the heck to do and it is very frustrating. I have a 5 yr old computer and I'm supposed to go to the app geniuses to get it fixed IF I have a proof of purchase? I bought this five years ago! How the heck are they letting someone lock my stuff without 2FA and when I now log in to icloud with 2FA I still cant unlock my own computer?

terrible. They need to fix this.

Aug 10, 2017 12:00 PM in response to Teddy_B

Hello Jameson.h,

I have the exact same issue as Henry. Locked out of Macbook Air & received the same email notification. You suggested "Find Mu iPhone on iCloud.com" changing from "Lost" to "Stop Lost Mode". Although my Macbook is locked it is not listed as "Lost" on "Find My iPhone" therefore do not need to be switch back.

My Macbook is still locked. Any other suggestions?

Pat

Aug 11, 2017 11:54 PM in response to henryherma1

I experienced the exact same issue. I called apple support who confirmed that the gmx email was not legitimate and that I should not email it. They told me to take my MacBook to the Apple Store and warned that the only way it could be unlocked is by wiping the mac completely. I was so angry as I had nothing backed up.

I took it to the store regardless and the guy said this is happening to a lot of customers and the need to take the MacBook in to unlock it. They need to request information from a team in America in order to fix the issue but he assured me that it is very unlikely that they will have to wipe the laptop and he's only seen that happen once out of countless situations.

I pray it doesn't have to be wiped!

Aug 13, 2017 4:12 PM in response to exoac90

I had the same exact problem. Someone hacked into my iCloud account - which apparently security wise is really weak - and my iPhone was activated as lost and my mac air blocked!

Got my iPhone back but I cannot use my mac as it asks for a pin. It's been two days now. Apple support were useless they can only unlock it with the proof of purchase because of security reasons?! What security are we talking about when I was so easily hacked??

If I can't find the receipt it's more than 1 thousand pounds to bin?! I confirmed in store with the assistants where I bought the mac and the year and even the month and even the store but still is not enough to confirm it's mine?!

Thank you apple

Aug 16, 2017 3:16 PM in response to Community User

I talked to a 3rd party apple tech, someone I know and had been working with for a long time, and he said he could do the unlock for $45 bucks in my area. I got apple to do it for me for free ultimately, but if I couldn't find my receipt that was my second option. You may be able to find a 3rd party apple tech who will do it with less proof, but your millage (not sure what you call millage in British) may vary. So sorry, that really *****.

Aug 16, 2017 8:39 PM in response to henryherma1

This happens to me today. Honestly I am so upset. It talked to apple support for 2.5 hours and was transferred 3 times. I know it's a hack. I am thankful I am not the only one.

I am lucky I backed up yesterday out of no where. But, I really have no Apple Store any where close. Also, bought my laptop 5 years ago. I called Best Buy where I bought it, they changed here system and can't track receipts. I am praying it is somewhere in my home. I don't get why this is happening. Is my info on my phone and computer going to be compromised ? Ex credit card info.

Aug 18, 2017 12:38 AM in response to pat-g

My MacBook and my iPad were lock last week. I went to one authorized service center nearby and they said that all data will be lost. On top of that, I have to pay $50 per device to unlock and reactivate it. Then I called apple customer service, they filed my case. They couldn't do much for my MacBook and refer me to other authorized service center. And they said that they will call me back in 2 days for my ipad. I went to the service center as advised. They were able to unlock my devices in less than 2 hours. All the data in my MacBook are safe. They took out the hard disk (I have Mac Book Pro) and I keep the hard disk while they uncloked it. They replace the hard disk and my Mac Book is back to normal. For my iPad, it should be restored and all the data is gone. For this service, I needed to pay about $55. Although I have sort this problem with local service, the Apple service center still called me back to follow up my case. So, I appreciate that.

My advise if you have this problem with your Mac Book, go to local authorized service center and ask if they are able to unlock without restore your Mac. If they said it has to be restored, try to go to other service center. The technical guy who helped me to unlock my mac said that it was just about unlocking the Mac, nothing to do with your data.

Locked Macbook and Hacked appleID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.