Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPods connected but no sound

Hi everyone,

I've had AirPods for about a week and love them, but they're not without glitches...

Recently I went to go for a run. I put the AirPods in my ears, but did not hear a "tone" like I normally do (ear detection?).

Anyway, my iPhone displayed a headset icon at the top of the screen, so I proceeded to play Apple Music, but nothing was played over AirPods. The headset icon disappeared and music was played over iPhone speakers instead.

The headphone icon icon came back, I tried to play to AirPods, but the scenario above repeated - no sound, icon disappeared, music over iPhone speakers.

Has as anyone else experienced this ? I've search (Google) but find no similar issue.

Posted on Sep 13, 2017 8:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2017 1:00 PM

I just got my AirPods on Tuesday and ran into this issue today.

I can see that the AirPods are connected and selected as the output device; volume is turned up on the phone but there is no audio coming through the AirPods.

83 replies

Sep 18, 2017 5:10 AM in response to Stephen Todd

I have had this same problem and the only way I can get the Airpods to start working again is to turn bluetooth off and back on. At first I thought it was just the Airpods, however, I also have a Plantronic bluetooth device and have had the same problem. I've reset my iphone 7plus to factory (via iTunes) per Apple help and still have the problem. I'm scheduled for an Apple Store repair now.

Feb 16, 2019 11:48 AM in response to Stephen Todd

the same thing happened to me literally like fifteen minutes ago. i was pretty worried because a few days ago i left them on the side when i had a bath (they didn’t get wet but i was worried the condensation had done something to them). i searched up what to do and nothing worked: disconnecting my airpods, charging them, turning my bluetooth off and on etc. so decided to just restart my iphone and it worked straight away. i still don’t know why it happened (i’m due an update on my phone so maybe that’s why) but i’m glad i fixed it

Dec 12, 2017 7:26 AM in response to Stephen Todd

I've been plagued by this problem, and it's become steadily worse over the last few months. Today everything was playing fine until a timer went off. After that, playback didn't resume and nothing I can do will get them to work again. The phone says it is playing to the Air Pods, but no sound is coming out. Then after about 10 seconds, the icon showing connection to the Air Pods disappears. Rebooting phone doesn't work, killing apps doesn't work, etc. I just "forgot" the Air Pods and tried to re-pair them; total failure. I tried a second time and now it's working.

This is clearly a software problem.

Nov 27, 2017 8:43 AM in response to Stephen Todd

I am encountering the exact same scenario. I have an iPhone 6S.

This is just a guess on my part, but I believe this situation has something to do with a problem introduced by one of the recent iOS 11 point releases as my AirPods worked absolutely flawlessly for months prior to iOS 11.x.

The problem started for me somewhere around the 11.1.1 / 11.1.2 update...

Putting them in the charger and opening closing the lid seems to temporarily resolve it but it has reoccured.. always when starting a run (of course!).

I read that resetting the AirPods using the button on the charging case and re-pairing to the iPhone can fix it. I'll try that if it happens again.

Thank you for your courage.

AirPods connected but no sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.