Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 11 application broken. Apple default app as well

Dear all,

I am current using an iPhone 7 plus 128GB. Updated my iPhone using iTunes 12.7 using the upgrade function. After the upgrade the iOS could not open any app even apple default app such as Stocks, Calendar, Mail etc.

Went to app store and could not install any app as well.

User uploaded file

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 11

Posted on Sep 19, 2017 11:19 AM

60 replies

Sep 23, 2017 12:29 AM in response to deggie

I have move back to iOS 10.3.3 and restored my backup, deleted every single application on my iphone. OTA to iOS 11. After that the same issue Surfaces. All Apple app can be opened

Next i restore back to iOS 10.3.3 and restore backup, i then delete every app on it. did an iCloud backup and restore my phone to iOS 11, I restored using iCloud this time. Same issue.

Sep 23, 2017 8:52 PM in response to FelipeV

Hi FelipeV

Because i wish to have my messages and photo back. The application can be redownloaded. But now the most basic message and photos can't be restored.

Isn't preserving data one of the most important thing? I wish to retain my photos as there are almost 19 thousand photos on my iPhone.

Restoring as new is not a suggestion to be honest. If i can restore my backup on iOS10.3.3 without any problem. Then is should have no problem on iOS11.

Sep 23, 2017 9:01 PM in response to Shid3vil

You should be backing up your photos to a computer or some other device. You can backup your photos now using some other app which is irrelevant when restoring the phone as new as these will not be affected.

The iPhone is NOT a storage device.

You could have corrupted software that the iOS upgrade has exacerbated, and that does not mean there is a bug.

Since you are able to restore your phone to iOS 10.x (which is not supported by Apple), I am led to believe that:

1) You are running a beta of IOS 11.

2) You have done something to your phone such as hacking and/or jailbreaking.

Sep 24, 2017 3:00 AM in response to FelipeV

Felipe,

Yes i am backing up my photos to my computer. If that is the cause iPhone is not a storage device, then why is apple creating 256GB and 512GB for iPhone/ipad? how much stuff do u need to store 256GB/512GB? If you are saying that iPhone is not a storage device... It's quite a joke that you have 8000 points but did not see the issue. Are you saying everytime you take a video or photo you must transfer the photo to the computer? so actually apple doesn't even need to create such huge storage devices.

why is iOS10.3.3 not supported by apple? Apple is still signing 10.3.3 and restoring my backup is working on 10.3.3.

1) i did not running a beta of iOS11

2) i did not jailbroke my iPhone

Sep 24, 2017 12:41 AM in response to FelipeV

Also note that.

I tried iCloud backup as well, and it is the same issue. I removed all the apps on my iPhone before backing it up to iCloud. Only remaining of Photos,Messages, notes etc.

i did a fresh restore to iOS11 and restore via iCloud backup. Same issue. Doesn't make sense that apple could not restore the photos/messages to iOS11? if so it should be some problem as iOS 10.3.3 can be restored.

Sep 24, 2017 10:06 AM in response to Shid3vil

Shid3vil wrote:

Felipe,

Yes i am backing up my photos to my computer. If that is the cause iPhone is not a storage device, then why is apple creating 256GB and 512GB for iPhone/ipad? how much stuff do u need to store 256GB/512GB? If you are saying that iPhone is not a storage device... It's quite a joke that you have 8000 points but did not see the issue. Are you saying everytime you take a video or photo you must transfer the photo to the computer? so actually apple doesn't even need to create such huge storage devices.

No, I am staying that you should have a backup strategy in place for many obvious and multiple reasons that you already know and I won't go into here. Why the storage space? Maybe because some people want to run big an many apps on their phone.

But all of the above is irrelevant to the question at hand and the joke is that your snarky and snide remarks aren't doing you much good here.

You have already been offered the solution to your problem. Whether you decide to implement it, is up to you.

Have a nice day.

Oct 2, 2017 1:22 AM in response to Shid3vil

Is this problem with old photos confirmed by Apple? Certainly, in my case I have photos from the first iPhone i owned (back in early 2008).

If this is really the origin of the problema with the upgrade...is there any workaround? Like erasing old photos and performing backup and restore?

This may be silly, but It's been 5 days by now since I upgraded my iPhone 7 and lost all non-Apple apps, besides being unable to install any app through App Store. I went to an App Store and they were unable to provide any solution. Same with the phone support.

I don't want to offend anybody, but suggesting to restart the iPhone as new is not an acceptable solution (i did it and worked), cause I have 22 K photos, all of them with people identified (People álbum in iPhotos). That means I've devoted probably hundreds of hours along the last months to keep my Photo Library in 'perfect shape'.

Oct 2, 2017 3:40 AM in response to jralgg

Morning

A news for you it seems that it fixes our problems with iOS11/11.0.1

Go to:

1. Settings

2. General

3. Device Management

My smooth operator forced me to install a MDM profile to manage my business e-mails

After this installation, I experienced all the problems you highlighted

Then:

4. Click on Device Management

5. Click on MDM profile

6. Click on Remove Management

And that's it, immediately the app's beginning to work again!

Good luck everybody

Oct 6, 2017 7:15 AM in response to Shid3vil

Hi,

I have the same issue as well on an IPhone 6s 128GB.

Tried the following approaches:

1. Upgrading. Then all the standard apps won't install, and I can not install any new or open any apps.

2. Install as new device. Standard apps installed OK but when restore the backup none of my apps work and I cannot install new ones

Tried all the "tricks" resetting iTunes/Icloud account password etc.

Called Apple Support and they confirmed they were working on the issue but no fix yet!

The only option if you want to go to iOS 11 is to install as new device if you experience this issue.

Kind Regards

Sveinung

Oct 6, 2017 3:32 PM in response to FelipeV

If you are making reference to your suggestion of 23th Sept (restart as new), I'm sorry but I can' t consider that a solution, but more a "resignation".

In fact, immediatelly after the incident I did two things:

1. Perform a backup and restore. The problem remained (yes, I know it was a long shot, but I had to try)

2. Restart the iPhone as new and check that I could install any app : everything worked fine.

Next thing, I restored again the backup, with the foreseeable result: apps don't work and can't be installed throug App Store. And that's the present state of my iPhone.

Stupid? Well, the reason behind is that there are 21k photos in my iPhone, coming from a variety of sources: all the iPhones and reflex cameras I've owned for the past 10 years or so (I've done random checks and all of them seem to be well). I had iCloud Photo Library activated (besides this, I several backups in offline disks, with the original sources, but unfortunately dispersed and possibly lacking some photos). No problem then...or so I thought.

The problem awaiting was that iPhotos.com reported that there were some 17k photos in iCloud. Where have the remaining 4k gone? At first, it seemed that the sync between device and cloud hadn't finished, as the Photos app reported 'uploading xxx items'. So I let it fininish. With a lot of patience, as the upload speed is around 1k photos...per day (with 2 or 3 occasional bursts of high activity). To make a long story short, the uploading process has fininished today.

The end result? iCloud.com keeps reporting 17k photos.

I've started extracting the photos directly from the iPhone, using an utility called iTools.

We shall see.

Thank you any way for trying to help.

(PS: I haven't mentioned my hours talking to Apple support people about this. Their final recommendation: restart as new)

Oct 7, 2017 7:05 AM in response to Shid3vil

I tried to use bugreport, as you suggested in a previous post, but it was to much trouble (if I remember well, you need a developer account for doing it). To be sincere, I'm also sceptical that Apple is going to put much effort on this problem, as it seems it has affected a small percentage of the huge number of upgrades to iOS 11 that must have taken place by now.

I can't wait any longer, cause my iPhone is almost useless, so now that I have a full backup of my potos, I think I'm going to start the iPhone as new.

Sad story. After 10 years of buying every iPhone on the market (many of them twice, for other members of my family, apart from several iPads) I think is time to consider moving to Android. Apple 'closed ecosystem' phylosophy is fine while evrything goes well, but failures happen (and they allways happen) you are lost.

Good luck, anyway

iOS 11 application broken. Apple default app as well

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.