Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clock missing from lock screen after iOS 11 update

After updating to iOS 11, I can no longer see my clock on the lock screen. I have to unlock the phone to see what time it is. Super annoying. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a quick and easy fix?

Posted on Sep 21, 2017 8:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2017 3:35 AM

Not sure if anyone tried this but it worked for me and hasn’t changed back yet. It’s been about 8 hours since I did it. I changed the display from standard to zoom and then back to standard. So far so good.

186 replies

Oct 26, 2017 6:38 AM in response to Natea58

User uploaded fileSame problem, but as you can see it seems even worse on my phone than I see some; it doesnt even show any slide possibilities on the bottom and it won’t slide at all. I can’t access camera or anything else. Restarted and even resetted (wich worked for 1 day so that was all for nothing).

Anyway seriously I’ve seen this date back since even 2014? And still no fix? No more Apple for me; that’s for sure.

Oct 5, 2017 5:39 AM in response to Natea58

I am experiencing a very similar issue. I am currently using an iPhone 8 Plus with iOS 11.0.2.

My clock from lock screen gets covered by iMessage or email chats that do not go away. This happens when I quick reply (hard press) from lock screen and every time I do that the phone does not bring the chat/email message up, instead it brings up a white box then it freezes. Now when I try to access my lock screen it covers my clock and the only way this problem seems to go away is when I restart. There is no way restarting my phone every time is practical and it is super annoying.

Any one else have this issue?

Has Apple acknowledged the lock screen issue?

Oct 5, 2017 10:08 AM in response to Natea58

Having the same problem.... I reset my phone and it worked for a couple days then happened again. I've now reset it 3 times and it keeps coming back. Phone reset only a temporary fix.

No clock on the lock screen, or notifications at all. And once I unlock the phone, trying to pull-down shows a blank screen for notifications as well.

Oct 10, 2017 10:45 AM in response to Natea58

I have a very similar problem. After updating to ios11 my date, time and notifications would disappear from my lock screen intermittently and only my lock screen photo would be visible if I toggled my screen off and on. I am now on ios11.0.2 and use an iPhone 7+. However, I did notice that if I touched the screen where a notification would be, it would open...FWIW? I also could unlock the phone using touch ID but I could not use my passcode. (I tried to use passcode by touching the numbers in sequence where I thought they would be but was unsuccessful.) Like Natea58 I can resolve the problem temporarily by turning the phone off and on.

Another workaround:

I also have resolved the problem (maybe temporarily) by switching to a "live photo" for my lock screen in the settings>wallpaper>choose a new wallpaper menu. I switched to a live photo and the problem went away. I switched back to my original lock screen photo, a still jpeg of family, and the lock screen works as it should.

Oct 13, 2017 12:29 PM in response to Matte51082

That worked for me too....not sure if anyone else noticed this or not but this bug also effects your use of the control center function when your screen is locked. I sometimes swipe up to use my camera quickly when the screen was locked and that function didn't work either. Changing it to zoomed has worked. I haven't change it back to standard yet to just test out how long it lasts before moving back to standard view.

Oct 21, 2017 9:28 AM in response to lmfergy

Been having this same issue as well as others (which I now find are evidently connected) ever since “upgrading” to iOS 11.

1. iMessage and SMS notifications no longer appear on lock screen.

2. Email notifications no longer appear on lock screen.

3. Left swipe no longer activates camera.

4. Intermittent screen freeze on lock screen — all meters, indicators, etc. disappear from top of screen. Sometimes if I just wait a few seconds this resolves. Other times I must unlock the phone to resolve it. And the unlock will only function with Touch ID, the passcode numbers do not appear.

My near vision is not what it once was, so I run my iPhone 6s in zoomed mode all the time. Happy to report that at least for now, changing from zoomed to standard view resolved all of the above issues. Even more happy to report that changing back to zoomed mode did not recreate the issues — they remain resolved (again, at least for now). It should be noted, however, that changing the screen zoom requires a restart of the phone. These bugs all seem connected in some way to the display or refreshing of the lock screen.

Oct 21, 2017 7:41 PM in response to Natea58

So I was experiencing the same problem and there are 4 iPhone 8 plus’s in my family. I was the only one to have the problem and I began to think... what did I do different then them. I determined that I used the zoom feature in settings and my phone went bonkers and I called Apple and they had to talk me through doing a hard shut down. After my phone restarted it was in zoom mode but that’s when the problems that you have started to happen with me. I would restart for a short term fix only for it to reoccur over and over. So I have went back from zoom to standard mode like the rest of my family and it seems to have solved the problem. Let me know if this helps you as well.

Clock missing from lock screen after iOS 11 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.