Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 8 plus low call volume

Hi there,

I recently purchased the iPhone 8 + and the issue i am having is very low call volume while off loudspeaker. I also have an iphone 6 plus running IOS 11 and the difference in volume on calls is enourmous. I already tried switching off “phone noice cancelation” with little improvement. Everything else on the 8 + works perfectly therefore its hard to believe that there is a defect.

Can anyone offer any advice? Or is someone experiencing similar issues? Would appriciate any and all help!

Thanks in advance

Posted on Sep 25, 2017 7:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2017 4:35 AM

I have the exact same problem with my brand new iPhone 8 plus with the latest iOS 11.0.3. The phone volume is very very low, can hardly hear the person. It is really frustrating to procure a high price phone which has problem with the basic function. need a immediate solution please.

78 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2017 4:35 AM in response to PavNL

I have the exact same problem with my brand new iPhone 8 plus with the latest iOS 11.0.3. The phone volume is very very low, can hardly hear the person. It is really frustrating to procure a high price phone which has problem with the basic function. need a immediate solution please.

Sep 26, 2017 9:45 AM in response to PavNL

Hello PavNL,

Congratulations on your new iPhone 8! It's my understanding that you're experiencing unusually low volume during phone calls. I'm happy to help with this issue.

Please follow the steps in the link below:
If you can‘t hear a person on a call or voicemail or if the sound isn‘t clear on your iPhone

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Have a wonderful day!

Oct 4, 2017 2:02 PM in response to sterling r

Speaker volume, ringer volume, music volume, might all be independently remembered. Not sure

My iPhone8 had low music volume when connected to my car stereo. But navigation apps had normal volume.

The fix, for my issue:

With car stereo volume turned all the way down, Turn up the Volume on my iPhone 8 all the way, after docking my iPhone to my car stereo and starting music play.

Then turn up stereo volume to a pleasant volume.

After that my music and navigation apps had similar volume levels through the car stereo.

Backstory:

I use navigation apps including Waze. I also play music from my iPhone while navigating. The navigation apps volume was normal, but my music volume was too low.

Turning up the car stereo volume made the music a good volume, but made my navigation apps too loud.

After turning up the phone volume to maximum, I was able to turn my car stereo volume back down to a normal level.

Now my music is not too quiet and my navigation is not too loud.

Oct 13, 2017 12:20 AM in response to PavNL

Sometimes it could be your 4G LTE chip’s issue... Especially for ATT users, I think it’s using INTEL LTE chip. If the power amplifier is not functioning well, the voice might not be audible. Usually it can be recovered by rebooting device. If it happens too often, then it’s chip level hardware damage, better ask Apple give you a new phone...

That‘s why I just move to Samsung, sigh...

Oct 13, 2017 12:21 AM in response to PavNL

Sometimes it could be your 4G LTE chip’s issue... Especially for ATT users, I think it’s using INTEL LTE chip. If the power amplifier is not functioning well, the voice might not be audible. Usually it can be recovered by rebooting device. If it happens too often, then it’s chip level hardware damage, better ask Apple give you a new phone...

That‘s why I just move to Samsung, sigh...

Oct 14, 2017 10:57 PM in response to PavNL

I have the same issue. Was so happy to have my new iPhone 8+ with 25% louder speakers, which while playing music is apparent, only to find earpiece volume off speaker is horrid. I had the static issue, which they have remedied, but the sound coming from the earpiece on phone-calls sounds tinny, body-less, and horrible to listen to. Apple how is my iPhone 7 outperforming at this point other than the camera?

Nov 7, 2017 9:00 PM in response to Krusty333

I’m having the same problem. The 7 was no better. I had a trusty 6 for 3 years and decided to upgrade to a 7 a few weeks ago. Four 7 handsets returned to John Lewis (UK store) because of volume and other issues. Eventually begrudgingly paid the extra £200 for the 8 on the premise it would be better. Can’t hear any calls and work in open plan environment so can’t exactly be taking personal calls on loud speaker. Very limited ways in which to fix this! Very frustrating and am contemplating returning (again because I don’t have better things to do with my time....) and moving to Samsung devices as the apple is not only now ridiculously priced but it’s forgotten how to be a basic phone!!!!! If someone could advise how to turn off noise cancellation and other fixes I will try but honestly don’t see why we should have to work around phone volume on a brand new phone.

Nov 25, 2017 4:20 PM in response to judsonmusic

I’ve already gotten hacked so I’ll probably be returning mine in also. I honestly think that the people who work at the store where I bought it may have messed with it for whatever reason bc this girl took my phone in the back with her after I just told her how suspicious I am of anyone being on my phone in the first place! Then another chic, supposedly the manager took my sims out of my phone without even telling me what she was doing or what the reasons were! Soon after I started having green texts showing up, not all but about five of the over sixty I have. After doing research and reading about what people can do with just a small fraction of ones info, I realized I am a victim too now! Also my location and Bluetooth keep being automatically turned on every idk, hour or two??? Saddening, bc I love my phone but don’t know enough about it (bc it’s my first iPhone) to fix or debug and ensure this would not happen again !

Nov 25, 2017 4:34 PM in response to Pleaseloveme

Nobody hacked your phone and Bluetooth and Wifi are supposed to stay on in iOS 11 by design. You can toggle them off from the network or Bluetooth device you were connected to in Control Center (but the Bluetooth and Wifi radios are still on - again on purpose) or if you feel for some odd reason you must turn off Wifi o Bluetooth (though there is no reason to ever do so as it inhibits the functionality of your phone), you turn them off completely in Settings > Wifi or Settings > Bluetooth.

You can return your phone, but you appear to not fully understand how it works. You'd be a good candidate to go to iBooks and download the iOS 1 user manual.

Dec 18, 2017 10:20 AM in response to AnanthL

I bought an Iphone 8 plus. You can hardly hear incoming calls.I was on the phone with Apple many times and they didn’t even admit that there is a problem and basically didn’t want to help and totally ignored me. They don’t have any solution. I dumped the phone and will never buy an Apple product again, not because of the problem but because of customer support totally ignored me. I bought a Samsung phone and I am extremely happ.

Dec 28, 2017 8:42 AM in response to lobsterghost1

I've followed this discussion as I recently called someone over skype and the experience was agonizing, barely heard anything and felt embarrassed to own such a phone.

I admit to not understand how this phone works, if it even works.

You say keeping bluetooth active at all costs is by design in ios 11 yet to you send us ignorant folks to read a manual for ios 1. I hope it was just a typo.

Both forum and iphone wear from this moment the tag: unfriendly, alien.

Dec 28, 2017 8:48 AM in response to vt8235

I didn't call you ignorant. I just pointed out you don't seem to understand why things are as they are and reading the User Guide would likely help you. I guess I'm just one of those nerds who likes to understand my devices better and I always read the user guide, not just on my iDevices, but on every device I spend my hard earned dollars on. Silly me.

If you feel there is something wrong with your iPhone, schedule an appointment at your Apple Store Genius Bar and have it evaluated. If there is a defect, it will be replaced.

Iphone 8 plus low call volume

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.