Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Several with hearing aids since iOS 11 upgrade...

Since I performed the upgrade to 11, I've had several issues with my hearing aids. I've used them with my iPhone for several years now so am aware of how they usually behave, etc.

First, one side will often cut out and go silent. Then it will reconnect. It makes listening to audio rather difficult as it cuts in and out.

Second, multiple times in a day, I will suddenly start hearing a rushing sound like surf that fades in and out, then cuts in and out to silence after several seconds. It is in both channels, and I am able to reproduce it by simply toggling Bluetooth off then back on again. I have a hunch that each time I hear it, it's because my hearing aids have lost and regained the connection to the phone.

Is anyone else having issues after the 11 upgrade?

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 11

Posted on Sep 25, 2017 10:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2017 2:55 PM

Having a similar problem, difficulty pairing and then when it indicates everything is paired only receive audio in one ear. Also on my iphone 8+ it will crash the TruLink program and switch back to phone, disconnecting the hearing aids.

I have had to use the "Forget this Device" several times to get the previously paired aids to pair again. In addition I use to be able to switch from one device to another simply by turning off the BT on one and turning it on, on the other. This is no longer the case. I must "Forget the device and re-pair and hope both work or do it again. Or the settings will say that both are connected but they are not.

35 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2017 2:55 PM in response to Henry_Pootel

Having a similar problem, difficulty pairing and then when it indicates everything is paired only receive audio in one ear. Also on my iphone 8+ it will crash the TruLink program and switch back to phone, disconnecting the hearing aids.

I have had to use the "Forget this Device" several times to get the previously paired aids to pair again. In addition I use to be able to switch from one device to another simply by turning off the BT on one and turning it on, on the other. This is no longer the case. I must "Forget the device and re-pair and hope both work or do it again. Or the settings will say that both are connected but they are not.

Oct 17, 2017 3:58 PM in response to Henry_Pootel

I'm using Starkey Halo 110 and iPhone 7 Plus. My phone locks up when I put my hearing aids on in the morning. Sometimes it locks up later, but it always locks up at some point. Apps that were already running will seem to get stuck updating their feeds, but in reality they've all become stuck due to whatever has locked up the phone.

I can't answer any calls that come in during this locked up state because touch doesn't work nor is the phone broadcasting to the hearing aids. The lock up has been a complete disaster for hands-free driving and I've just had to leave my phone alone until I get to my destination and can try to fix anything.

Pressing to power it down won't even work for several minutes. Touch slowly disappears, so even if the phone gets to the power down screen, I may not be able to slide to power off.

The phone will spontaneously restart itself at some point, but I eventually discovered that turning my hearing aids off solved all of these issues.

It works just fine lots of other times. I just wish I knew how to predict when it's safe to use my hearing aids or not.

Oct 31, 2017 10:41 AM in response to Henry_Pootel

I am a new hearing aid user and am having this issue with both ones I have tested (the Widex and the Starkey Halo iQ i2400) Is there a solution or update for either of these products? The hearing aid company wants me to do a hard reset on my phone and apple says doing that too often is bad for the phone. Is that true? What is the solution? Is there a firmware update for Widex?

Oct 31, 2017 12:45 PM in response to jym626

I have one older Widex and one new Widex (within the last 2 weeks) and both have issues. Updating the firmware did not resolve my issue. I have reset my phone 3 times and that has not fixed the issue. I have connected my hearing aids to an Android phone and a phone with iOS10, both resolved the issue. This issues is clearly with iOS11. I've reported this to Apple and they told me to wait for an update. I've decided to discontinue the use of Apple devices.

Nov 2, 2017 6:05 AM in response to Henry_Pootel

I have ReSound Lynx3D Hearing aids and I also am having many issues. I get the dropping out for a few seconds and then re-connecting issue in both hearing aids. It is usually preceded by significant distortion then gone... I also get a fair amount of digital distortion when listening to music on my iPhone. The distortion is not consistent though. I’m not sure if it increases when my phone is trying to communicate with other things (like WiFi or cell towers) as neither of this happens all the time either. I can tell that when I’m not around a lot of other people (driving on a quiet road with no other cars), it happens a lot less.

Does anyone else hear a funny digital static/clicking between tracks (does anyone call them that anymore) when listening to music? It is like a faint little stream of clicks.

Apple Please Fix This!!!!

Nov 3, 2017 10:08 AM in response to Henry_Pootel

I'm having similar issues as reported with my new hearing aids, they are ReSound Link 3D. Sound is often streaming to only one ear even though both show as "on" in the app. Can't answer a call on my car's bluetooth, have to pick it up with my phone!!! That's pretty bad. No easy way to silence the ringer, like when you want to quickly turn off the phone in a movie theater or while in a meeting, etc. Must go through lots of clicks on Settings. Random switching of streaming to one ear, then suddenly to both, then off again, then on again.

Unacceptable! Cannot use the aids with these kinds of problems. And can barely hear without them :-(

APPLE fix these issues !!!!

Nov 12, 2017 7:36 AM in response to mizcue

My Resound Linx 3D hearing aids have been working flawlessly with my iPhone 7 Plus since I purchased these hearing aids a few months back. Last week I installed the iOS 11.1 security update before leaving on a business trip to Europe on Sunday night. When I landed at the airport in Amsterdam, the hearing aids wouldn’t connect to my iPhone. I figured the hearing aid batteries were low so I replaced them while I was waiting for my flight to Manchester. After restarting, the right hearing aid wouldconnect but not the left one. Opening and closing the battery door multiple times generally resulted in one hearing aid connecting but not the other. Sometimes, neither hearing aid would connect. When I arrived in the UK (and for the 3 days that I was there) this problem persisted. Sometimes the hearing aids would connect just fine. Other times, one or none would connect. I tried quite a few things including forgetting and repairing the connection between the iPhone and the hearing aids multiple times. Nothing helped. At times, It almost felt like therewas Bluetooth interference everywhere and the hearing aids were struggling to get a signal lock.

I think I may have solved the problem and I’m posting here to pass along the info. I have both my iPhone and my iPad setup to connect to my Linx 3D hearing aids. It occurred to me that every time the disconnecting issue pops up, I am sitting near my iPad. I think what may be happening is that both devices are trying to compete for the connection at the same time and that is why one or both ears won’t connect. They are dropping off to connect to the iPad. I’ve unpaired The hearing aids with the iPad and turned off Bluetooth on the iPad too in order to test this theory. This also explains why some people don’t have the issue. The other interesting datapoint is that the iPhone had the iOS 11.1.1 update and the iPad did not. Maybe this was an issue...not sure.

If you have similar issues with disconnection and you have multiple devices paired, try unpairing your hearing aids from everything but your iPhone and see if the problem stops. I did that and all is well again. I think there is a bug in iOS that causes issues when you pair multiple Apple devices to the same hearing aids.

Jordan

Nov 12, 2017 3:53 PM in response to JordanK

Yes- I discovered that my ipad auto-loaded the hearing aid app (I have tried both wides and starkly halo, and am sticking with the latter, though the wider app was easier to use) and the phone and ipad were fighting to pair, and the aids wold not pair. However, even when I deleted the app from my ipad, I am still having issues with one heairing aid unpairing, though less frequently.

Dec 18, 2017 9:48 AM in response to JordanK

I think you may be on to something here. At first I thought it wasn't for me because I have Bluetooth turned off on my iPad for this reason that I don't want my phone and iPad to compete for my hearing aids connection. Then I realized I just got an Apple Watch and I think my iPhone and watch are competing for the connection. I turned off my watch for the day and will see if I get improved behavior and will report back. I certainly think there is enough evidence that Apple should look at this seriously. I had very few issues with this before iOS 11. I use ReSound hearing aids paired to an iPhone 7+.

Several with hearing aids since iOS 11 upgrade...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.