Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4k laggy

I brought my new Apple TV 4k last Friday on launch day, ever since I had weird lag issues with the controls, it happens in the home screen, settings, apps and even when scrolling the timeline in a movie or tv show, sometimes it can even "freeze" for 2-3 seconds before responding, it doesn't happen every time but it does happen often enough to notice it fairly easily. But beside that, to problem playing any apps or media, the all work fine, it only looks to be a problem with the remote. I tried a factory restore and it did not help.

Posted on Sep 26, 2017 7:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2017 8:26 AM

Having the same issue. Also bought the ATV4k on Day 1, and the problem started immediately. Seems to work fine for a few minutes at a time, and then navigation lags and slows to near freezing. It makes navigation very difficult. I have this problem mostly on the home screen, but it also happens inside apps like Netflix, YouTube, NBC Sports, CBS, etc. Feels like what happens on a computer when the memory is full or when the CPU is throttled or overloaded.

50 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2017 8:26 AM in response to zerobrand

Having the same issue. Also bought the ATV4k on Day 1, and the problem started immediately. Seems to work fine for a few minutes at a time, and then navigation lags and slows to near freezing. It makes navigation very difficult. I have this problem mostly on the home screen, but it also happens inside apps like Netflix, YouTube, NBC Sports, CBS, etc. Feels like what happens on a computer when the memory is full or when the CPU is throttled or overloaded.

Oct 1, 2017 10:29 PM in response to zerobrand

I am also having this problem. The included physical Siri Remote just isn't fit for purpose; its laggy, sluggish, often disconnects, when scrolling to highlight an app it gets stuck/freezes for a second or two, then it can jump three more apps across rather than smoothly scrolling to adjacent app using one's thumb.

Its really not a great user experience for something that is meant to be defined by its user experience.

I did a factory reset more than once, no difference.

I thought at first it might be the settings, e.g the cable setting, then resolution (like on a PC), but alas it makes no difference e.g. Dolby Vision 30hz, 4K HDR10 60hz etc, (tried every combination). The picture is perfect and not the issue.

I moved the Apple 4K from a neat hidden area in a cupboard to out on display to direct line of site, 2 metres from the sofa and its makes no difference. I have the Apple TV 4th Gen is in the same place (in the cupboard) and had no issues whatsoever. This is definitely an issue peculiar to Apple 4K and the way its bluetooth remote communicates with Apple TV 4K. Be good to know what the update is on this...

Jan 20, 2018 11:28 PM in response to zerobrand

I’ve figured out the best temporary solution I could come up with. I was getting pretty fed up with the lagging and constant freezing of the remote. So, I took some aluminum foil and created a barrier between my AirPort, my Apple TV, and my smart tv. The smart tv has who knows how many signals flying out of it and this is the only solution that worked 90% of the time. Obviously this is not a permanent solution, but it is saving me from the headache most of the time I just want to go watch my tv show. Soon I'll have to wrap all my devices in aluminum in order to get anything to work...

User uploaded file

Mar 16, 2018 5:06 PM in response to zerobrand

Yup, same problem here. ATV4K bought day one. 65" LG C7 OLED. Latest tvOS etc. etc.

The remote and the interface get laggy

Problem gets worse and worse

Restart ATV

After restart, ATV takes quite a while to reconnect to the remote

The problem goes away for a minute or ten, but then starts to come back

I'm restarting at least once a day. Super frustrating. The product really feels like it's in early beta and I resent being a tester for products I pay full retail price for.

Apple has always been hesitant to publicly admit when their products have problems. Especially so with products they just consider 'hobbies'. They are, however, very good if enough people complain that they have to publicly admit there's a problem, and then they will scurry behind the scenes to come up with a fix. I encourage anyone having this problem to be a squeaky wheel here... Feedback - Apple TV - Apple and hopefully our voices will be heard.

Oct 4, 2017 12:53 PM in response to ronnie19

I am having the same lag, freeze and jumpiness issues with the Apple 4k. I had replaced a Apple TV (3rd Gen) with the newer 4K. The old unit worked just fine. It is located in a equipment rack on another floor and was connected with a two IR relay. The new unit transmits a great quality picture but the remote makes using the device more than problematic. I tried restarts and resets with no luck. Hopefully there will be a software fix soon.

Oct 10, 2017 3:36 PM in response to zerobrand

Having the same issue. Received my AVT4 on 9/22, have spoken to Apple support three times, and have tried a number of things:

- Multiple restarts

- Reset (factory reset)

- Paired the remote from my ATV4 (rather than using the new ATV4K remote)

- Tried the iOS app Apple TV Remote

- Adjusted every possible video and audio adjustment.

- Restarted both TV (LG OLED55E7) and ATV4K

- Unplugged power from my nearby Apple Airport Extreme (in case of interference)

- tried remote closer (1-2')

None of the above provided any type of lasting fix. Feels like the ATV4K is busy processing other activities, as the icons begin to move, but can't jump to the next icon on the home screen, then suddenly jump multiple icons (buffering the commands). Using latest standard, high quality, 1' HDMI cable.

My ATV4 was located in the same position for over a year with rarely any lag. The ATV4 works fine with this TV/location, but NOT the ATV4K.

Help.....

Oct 20, 2017 6:41 PM in response to zerobrand

Yes, it's Terrible, I have the same issue. It lags at 4K and then works fine at 1080P making me believe that the hardware is NOT good enough for 4K. At 4K, the remote responds after 4-5 seconds lag and sometimes does not even move which keeps confusing the user experience.

Can't believe Apple missed this during testing for a product that costs three times more than it's competition.

Oct 29, 2017 7:18 AM in response to leofrombrooklyn

Correction: Switching to HDMI/ARC did not resolve the issue. But I think getting a new cable did resolve the problem. I was running on a $7 AmazonBasics high speed HDMI. I ordered a high speed Belkin HDMI cable from the Apple Store. Felt silly paying $30 for a cable, but it seems to have fully resolved the issue. Suggest you guys give it a shot. You can always return the cable if it doesn't help.

Apple TV 4k laggy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.