Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K bluetooth range diminished

Just received and setup my new Apple TV 4K today. I regularly use AirPods to listen to the TV while moving around the family room and kitchen at night. As soon as I paired my AirPods with the Apple TV I immediately noticed a huge difference in the range and clarity of the audio signal. I would estimate it is at least half the range as with my previous Apple TV (4th gen).

Nothing else has changed in my setup. I just swapped out the Apple TV. Anyone else noticing a difference? Based on specs (and the upgrade to Bluetooth 5.0) the range should have improved.

Posted on Sep 22, 2017 9:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2017 7:33 AM

I believe I fixed my issue...

I had my Apple TV mounted just behind my TV so it was out of site. I tried moving it to well below the TV away from any other devices and it made a big difference. So it does seem that the Apple Remote is susceptible to interference from other devices. My TV is an LG 65UH9500 and has WiFi and BT so that could explain the interference.

This could be related to issues with other BT devices as well.

83 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2017 7:33 AM in response to Apple user since 1988

I believe I fixed my issue...

I had my Apple TV mounted just behind my TV so it was out of site. I tried moving it to well below the TV away from any other devices and it made a big difference. So it does seem that the Apple Remote is susceptible to interference from other devices. My TV is an LG 65UH9500 and has WiFi and BT so that could explain the interference.

This could be related to issues with other BT devices as well.

Oct 13, 2017 12:57 AM in response to Apple user since 1988

Hello,

I'm using an Apple TV 4K at home. Prior I was using the previous Apple TV at the exact same location with no problems at all.

The new remote is very laggy and it is nearly impossible to use it.

With me on the couch I usually have an iPhone and an iPad.

If I switch off bluetooth on iPhone and iPad, the Apple TV remote works just fine. As soon as I switch the bluetooth on only one other device on, the remote is laggy again.

If a move iPhone and iPad with enabled bluetooth behind me (4 feet), the remote also works.

It seems that other devices a interfeering with the remotes signal.

I did try a factory reset, which didn't help at all.

I hope Apple finds a solution fast, because this is very annoying!

Cheers

See my Post: Apple TV 4K Remote, bluetooth interference

Oct 3, 2017 9:21 PM in response to Apple user since 1988

Has anyone made any progress here? This problem remains for me. It seems to be an issue with the Apple TV 4K, not the individual Bluetooth devices. I’ve tried a few things:

• Siri Remote (included) - needs a straight line of sight to the Apple TV, any obstruction results in disruption of signal, and even sometimes with no obvious obstruction it does not work properly. Have paired/unpaired multiple times.
  • Siri Remote (from prior Apple TV) - suffers from the same problems when paired with 4K, though it’s fine with the prior Apple TV
  • Beats Solo 3 Wireless - lose connection at a much shorter range than prior version
  • Moving the Apple TV 4K - I’ve adjusted the position of the device to ensure it’s open and free from any object interference. My television lacks any option to disable Bluetooth.
  • Updating - Updated to the Public Beta 11.1, Bluetooth problems persist

Again, I didn’t have any of these issues with the prior Apple TV located in the same position connected to the same TV.

Oct 4, 2017 8:52 AM in response to Apple user since 1988

I am having the same issues with my new Apple TV 4K. The remote is very laggy. To the point of being useless.

Scrolling through the "Settings" menu sometimes requires several swipes to get down to the next menu item. Then suddenly, it will scroll over several items, as if it had queued up the commands. My Apple TV is in free sight just 2.5 m from my couch.

I've tried a couple of things:

1. Use the remote app from the control center on iOS 11 from my iPhone. Everything works fine!
  2. Tried the Siri Remote from my previous Apple TV. Same issues.

I really hope this is a software issue.

Sep 24, 2017 8:54 AM in response to Apple user since 1988

Just tested again and I wasn't even able to pair my AirPods unless I was less than 10 feet away. I tried a different bluetooth headphones (non-Apple) and it worked a little better, but not great. Still choppy and static beyond 10-15 feet. Must be something with the radio hardware or software in the Apple TV unit.

Sep 25, 2017 8:19 PM in response to Apple user since 1988

I got a new Apple TV today. They said I had a V4 and I bought a V6 (V means version and it is in the serial number). The new Apple TV is giving me the same problem. This means it is more likely to be a software issue. I have a case open with Apple support. They are supposed to call me tomorrow night for a follow up. I sent them analytic type reports that my Apple TV created. Hopefully they will get this resolved.

Sep 25, 2017 8:25 PM in response to Roth91

I figured as much. The other day I emailed Tim Cook, Eddy Cue, and Twerdahl (who is head of Apple TV). I got a response today from iTunes customer experience wondering if the same thing happens when you switch to 1080p (it still does). So at least they are looking into it. I suggest everyone contact Apple in some way so they realize it’s affecting multiple people.

Apple TV 4K bluetooth range diminished

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.