Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro X 10.3.4 (!) on High Sierra - crashing

Hi.

After upgrading (new MacBook Pro Touch Bar) to High Sierra, my Final Cut Pro X 10.3.4 (!!! - supposed to bo compatible with High Sierra) is crushing:

- when loading an existing library

- when loading an existing project

- when creating a new (empty) project

- when importing media files to a newly created library

In other words, nothing is working !

Obviously there are some issues with compatibility...

Any ideas ?

Solutions ?

Apple, R U working on fixing it ? - I'm sure other users report similar problems...

Will appreciate any feedback.

Thanks !

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Sep 27, 2017 1:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2017 2:56 AM

This thread says you need to launch FCPX with the laptop open:

Final Cut X (10.3.4) crashing on external display

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8087074

Does that work?

52 replies

Sep 27, 2017 8:09 AM in response to MMDF

I had a similar experience, maybe this will help -

After updating to High Sierra I couldn't get any library to open in FCPX at all. After a bit of trouble-shooting I discovered that it was all to do with my A/V Output (I have a Matrox I/O & a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle). After disconnecting all of my external A/V sources, FCPX again runs like a charm.

No client monitor or monitor speakers at the moment but I'm guessing that this is just a case of Matrox/Blackmagic updating their drivers and will be fixed soon.

Oct 6, 2017 2:02 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Everything that I explained happened on the following Mac with the following specs: MacBookPro13,3 with Intel Core i7, 16GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 and Radeon Pro 460 with 4GB VRAM.

I think External Display issues have been common for a while. I noticed that the LG Ultrafine 5K Display had issues on macOS 10.12 while using a program called OBS and at times when trying to changed the audio settings. Final Cut X did not have issues with 10.12 Sierra, but now fails with 12.13 High Sierra while using any external displays. I have two Asus 1080p displays at my workplace and the LG Ultrafine 5K Display at home.

The workaround for now is to open the MacBook Pro's lid and wait for Final Cut X to open and load the library properly. Then the lid can be closed afterwards.

I suppose I can use the workaround for now, but you know Apple's motto: Apple devices "Just work". Considering I paid over 4k for my MacBook Pro, I would like to think these type of issues should not be part of the experience a customer should worry about for extended periods of time. Let's hope Apple is able to resolve the issues and keep the faith customers have put on their products going.

Oct 24, 2017 8:40 AM in response to MMDF

I've got the same problem. 13" 2015 MBP, fresh install of High Sierra (release version). Installed FCPX v3.4. No external display. Create new library/event/project. Import a few clips from a GoPro H6 (which remain on their USB3 external HD).

Select the clips in the media window. Select Create compound clip. Enter name for compound clip. Return. CRASH. 100% reproducable.

Oct 24, 2017 9:25 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

What exactly does my workflow have to do with anything? I create a compound clip because my footage is comprised my multiple small clips coming from an action cam, i.e. multiple 8 min clips creating a 2 hour stream.

What exactly do my pref files have to do with anything? Did you read what I wrote? I said the crash occured after a 100% fresh install. Fresh OS, fresh FCP, fresh library, fresh event, fresh project. So what preferences exactly could be corrupted here?

Oct 24, 2017 9:31 AM in response to tiloprobst

Normally user assembly their material in a project.

Trashing prefs is fine because 95% of the times if the application crashes the preference files will be corrupted because they were saved correctly during shutdown.

You may also have a conflict with other software, or the external drive isn’t correctly formatted or needs updated drivers.

But whatever.

Final Cut Pro X 10.3.4 (!) on High Sierra - crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.