Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple tv 4k won’t wake from sleep

Lights respond on front of ATV4K to remote after going to sleep but it won’t display anything. I have to reboot by replugging power or holding the menu and home buttons for several seconds.

Posted on Sep 27, 2017 1:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2017 6:09 PM

I bought 2 Apple 4k TVs. One of them works without issue.

The other one will not wake from sleep mode after an extended time. The only way I've found to wake it up is to unplug from power and plug it back in. I've also noticed that it is slightly warm to the touch.

59 replies

Apr 7, 2018 8:28 AM in response to svenfromashford

So, I may have found the solution to my wake/sleep issue. Since I made this change, it works better than ever. I went the Apple Support call, and they never talked to me regarding the TV settings on my Samsung. Digging around, I found this Apple article: Control your TV or receiver with your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote - Apple Support

It seems my TV did not have the HDMI-CEC settings turned on. For the Samsung, that is Anynet+. At first after turning it on, it wasn't helping. However, the Anynet+ setting states this definitely needs to be turned on to have other devices control the TV. I persisted. I turned everything off and back on again.

Now the wake and sleep have been extremely snappy and works every time. Before, it took about 15 seconds for the TV to get turned. Why it was working sometimes without this on is mystery. Maybe Support assumed HDMI-CEC was already on because it worked sometimes.

Apr 27, 2018 8:18 AM in response to alpsgaja

Apple surprised me with a call based on my earlier posting of successfully fixing this wake/sleep issue. They wanted me to walk through how I did it. Perhaps, my fix is more specific to a Samsung, but really, everything related to this was fixed and is totally reliable. The support article explains what to look for different brands. So make sure the HDMI-CEC is functioning properly. Note that I needed to toggle everything off and on again with the HDMI-CEC because I think it needs to done in a certain order or maybe rebooted to recognize the function. Control your TV or receiver with your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote - Apple Support

Mar 27, 2018 8:08 PM in response to aidanfrombrooklyn

I've already tried that - didn't work. As far as I'm concerned, it's obviously an issue that was introduced in one of the recent tvOS 11.x updates.

• Had my 4thGen since May 2016, never had any issue until the past three months or so (can't tell exactly when)
  • Had my 4K since January 2017, pretty much had problems from the start.

I've always been baffled at how long it takes for Apple to reproduce customer issues in lab.

Oct 10, 2017 12:11 AM in response to dfq

You can hold the menu and tv button for a few seconds to reset it. I found the beta 1 update fixes this problem. Just installed the beta 2.

I have a new sound issue which I hope is fixed by the beta 2.

The sound disappears and won’t come back even after a reboot/swapping cables/HDMI ports. Then a few minutes later will just start working again. It can’t be my tv because the sound works on the other HDMI inputs.

Nov 6, 2017 8:52 PM in response to dfq

I'm having this exact same problem with my Apple TV 4K. If I don't use it for about a day, it won't wake up from sleep no matter how many buttons I press on the remote. I can only wake it up again if I completely unplug the power to the device and plug it back it again. I'm going to have to return it to the store for a refund and just go back to using my old 4th gen Apple TV, which works perfectly fine.

Jan 4, 2018 12:07 PM in response to svenfromashford

I too have an early production ATV 4k. It too has the problem where if it is asleep for a while it does not wake when using the remote or the remote app. Have not had it replaced yet and can’t find any software updates that have fixed it. The problem has lasted through several TV OS updates. Interrupting power seems to be the only work-around at this time.

To Apple: This doesn’t seem to be an isolated problem. Please help.

Feb 7, 2018 9:19 PM in response to atasset

Just purchased ATV4k 5 days ago and noticed the same thing today. Remote app on iPhone won’t seem to connect to wake it. Additionally the remote will not wake it up. In my case it was connected directly to the router via a cable and not wireless. Figured it would be better that way (most things are). However, since resetting and removing the Ethernet and going wireless it seems to work. Additionally, when on wireless, I needed to make sure that my iPhone was on the same wifi as the Apple TV. My point here is that my router, like many today, supports two different wifi networks, one 5G one that most folks use for media streaming and one regular 2G one. It didn’t matter which one I chose as long as both the iPhone and the ATV were on the same one. Possibly an issue with the Wake-on-lan command... although this does not seem to explain why the remote failed to bring it out of sleep when the problem arose.

apple tv 4k won’t wake from sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.