Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMAP email account greyed out after iOS 11 upgrade

Hello

I recently upgraded to iOS11 and now my IMAP email account is greyed out in the Mail app. I can only view messages through the All Inboxes view. Sometimes this doesn't even work and I need to reboot to get the All Inboxes view to be selectable and not greyed out.

iOS 11.0.1 did not fix the issue.

I have tried deleting and recreating the mail account. Initially the account in Mail is then not greyed out but it can't be selected, then it turns grey.

I don't have any issues with my Exchange account.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

thanks

Grant

iPad Pro Wi-Fi, iOS 11.0.1

Posted on Sep 27, 2017 11:12 PM

33 replies

Oct 9, 2017 8:38 AM in response to kanarip

Someone needs to take the time to provide feedback to Apple about this issue. Posting here is not going to help, since this is a user to user support forum, and Apple does not participate here. Use this link, http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html and report the issue.

I have a Comcast/Xfinity IMAP account and have not experienced a problem. If this is an issue, then Apple needs to be made aware.

Jan 9, 2018 5:28 AM in response to growlerrr

I am a Network Administrator for my organization and ran into this problem, as well as not being able to add our Exchange account to Mail for new users. I found that our SSL certificate on our Exchange Server was signed by a Certificate Authority (CA) that was listed on Apple’s list of trusted root CAs but the serial number the CA used to sign this cert was not listed. If you use a big provider like GMail, this probably isn’t related. If your organization hosts their own email server, keep reading.

First, access the certificate to your mail server by typing the address (mail.example.com) in your web browser. In Chrome you can right-click the page Inspect > Security (tab) to view the SSL certificate. Look for the serial number used by the CA and compare it to Apple’s list of Trusted CAs here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204132

If your Serial number isn’t present on their list, it’s likely that the certificate on your Exchange Server just needs to be updated to use SHA256 or greater and signed by one of the CAs in that list. Hope those helps.

Oct 10, 2017 2:31 PM in response to kanarip

Just to clarify my situation:

I have 2 imap accounts to the same smaller IMAP provider.

I can get email for 1 of my accounts by pressing hard on the mail app - which then presents a submenu and you can get into your email from there. However, I cannot get the 2nd email. So email is definitely being received in the background.

As such I'm not convinced it relates to the IMAP protocol per se as the email is received. It's like the app locks the interface while processing but then never unlocks it.

Oct 10, 2017 2:48 PM in response to kanarip

Interesting information. I have no issue with my Comcast IMAP account, so I wonder why this happens. Since you cannot seem to remove the mail account, have you tried creating a backup of the phone, then restoring it to factory not to the backup, and adding the account to that restored phone to see if that works? The other poster makes the comment about forcing the mail to check. I'm not sure by reading, but is this also a problem with fetching mail as well as checking manually? If you go to Settings>Accounts & Passwords, can you turn the account off from there? Have you tried resetting all settings?

Oct 11, 2017 2:58 AM in response to growlerrr

We have the same issue, with all our users.

The email account is greyed out after upgrade to iOS 11(.0.2)

Everything was working fine before the upgrade.

iOS 11 is doing something different.

A quick note of my findings...

As we don't use an official certificate, I added our CA as trusted CA on my iPhone, but that did not solve anything.

Than I toke a look at the server-side. Our situation is like this (a bit more technical here, and not easy to explain in a language that is not mine, but it might be relevant):

The imap-server I connect to, "imap.company.com" is a cyrus imap server.

In fact, it is a frontend for 2 imap backends ("imap-user.company.com" which stores the regular user mailboxes and "imap-shared.company.com" on which we store shared mailboxes).
If I configure the mailaccount on my iPhone with iOS11 to use as incoming mailserver directly the backend "imap-user.company.com", I do not have the "greyed-out" issue (but I cannot read the mail in the shared mailboxes).

Neither do I have an issue when I connect it to the other backend imapserver "imap-shared.company.com".

But connecting to the frontent "imap.company.com" makes the account become greyed out in iOS 11.

For the connections from a iPhone with iOS 11, I see these messages appearing in the logging on the "imap.company.com" imap-server:

Oct 11 10:29:40 imap cyrus/imaps[25800]: IOERROR: opening index user.username: System I/O error

Oct 11 10:29:40 imap cyrus/imaps[25800]: IOERROR: opening index user.username.Trash: Archive I/O error

Oct 11 10:29:40 imap cyrus/imaps[25800]: IOERROR: opening index user.username.Trash: Deleted Messages I/O error

Oct 11 10:29:40 imap cyrus/imaps[25800]: IOERROR: opening index user.username.Trash: Sent Messages I/O error

What is the Mail app trying to do here that it did not try in previous versions?

Oct 11, 2017 5:34 AM in response to Apple-DaVinci

I toke another 5 minutes to look at it after clearing my head.

Still not sure if this has something to do with the issue, but anyway...

The message "IOERROR: opening index user.username.Trash: Sent Messages I/O error" appears after the Mail app submits the command:

"4 LIST "" "*" RETURN (SPECIAL-USE STATUS (UNSEEN))"

The Mail app receives the reply:

LIST (\Noinferiors \Noselect) "." INBOX

* LIST (\Noselect \HasNoChildren) "." Archive

* LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "." Archives

* LIST (\Noselect \HasNoChildren) "." Archives.2016

* LIST (\Noselect \HasNoChildren) "." Archives.2017

4 OK Completed (10.470 secs 8050 calls)

Nov 7, 2017 8:32 AM in response to growlerrr

Suppressing the LIST-STATUS function in the cyrus-imapd configuration seems to resolve the issue:

https://blogs.kolabnow.com/2017/11/07/ios-imap-connection-issues-resolved

Note that this must be performed by the IMAP server operator. There is nothing the end-user can do if they are experiencing this issue other than to talk to their IMAP provider (and to possibly use a third-party IMAP client such as Spark).

Jan 15, 2018 3:38 AM in response to growlerrr

I encountered this issue, too, have it still. But what is weird, on iPhone only. I have an iPad, too, the same settings, the same provider, works fine. It's just iPhone that shows the greyed inbox. The iPhone can talk to mail server, I see the messages coming in, so the settings are right, just can't see content on that device. (my iPhone is 7, iPad is 10.5 Pro, both on iOS 11.2)

IMAP email account greyed out after iOS 11 upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.