Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High Sierra and MS Exchange Problems anyone?

After 2 days the Apple mail app under High Sierra stopped working with Microsoft Exchange. New emails are not displayed. After removing the Exchange account, and setting up again, still no folders or mails can be received. The account (under email--->settings) definitely has connection to the exchange server (btw: Exchange 2010 on SBS), there's the "green" light. When setting up the new exchange account I noticed that this is handled differently to former versions of MacOS. There's no possibility to enter a "server", although in mail-settings-accounts the "internal and external URL" can be configured...but this changes nothing. Also (when having no server certificate) in former versions there was the small "warning triangle" beside the exchange account in the "tree" which could be clicked and the missing certificate could be ignored. Not so in High Sierra. Anyone with similar problems? Solution? thx

Posted on Sep 29, 2017 1:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2017 5:23 PM

Let's clear up some confusion. I think I misunderstood when you wrote the following.

Exchange mail from Outlook in my Apple mail

You are not using Outlook.app but Mail.app to connect to your Exchange account. Both apps can connect to multiple types of email accounts. Exchange, IMAP and POP. What the window users in your company use to get Exchange has nothing to what you use on your Mac. What matters is the version of Exchange server.

Apple Mail can connect to Exchange as long as it meets one of these requirements.

Exchange Support

Requires Microsoft Office 365, Exchange 2016, Exchange 2013, or Exchange Server 2010 (SP2 or higher).

Try this to fix your Exchange account.

Remove the Exchange account in Mail > Preferences > Accounts.

This takes you to System Preferences > Internet Accounts.

Uncheck to remove the account. Not just uncheck Mail for Exchange.

In your User's Library/Mail folder....

• Verify the Exchange data was removed when you removed the account.
  • Go to your User's Library > Mail > V5
  • You'll see alphanumeric folders, look inside. If you see the Outbox, this is the local "On My Mac" folders.
  • We don't want to find a folder for Exchange. Check to verify that is was removed. If you find the folder, then with Mail quit, delete the alphanumeric folder containing your Exchange data.
    Clutter is a default Exchange folder, Exchange also has it's own Outbox. This shows Exchange account (the alphanumeric numbers are unique). You might also see custom folders you have created.
    User uploaded file

Next.... in V5 you should see a MailData folder. Delete any files with Envelope in the name.

Back in System Preferences > Internet Accounts

• Add your Exchange account back.
  • Open Mail, It will reindex your messages.
  • Exchange will download again from the server.

My advice: When a new version of macOS is released DO NOT upgrade until it has matured. Unless there is some urgent need to upgrade then wait until the final version (.5 or .6) is released to upgrade. Lastly, check here in Apple Discussions to see if Exchange users are having any issues.

58 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2017 5:23 PM in response to tbeeze

Let's clear up some confusion. I think I misunderstood when you wrote the following.

Exchange mail from Outlook in my Apple mail

You are not using Outlook.app but Mail.app to connect to your Exchange account. Both apps can connect to multiple types of email accounts. Exchange, IMAP and POP. What the window users in your company use to get Exchange has nothing to what you use on your Mac. What matters is the version of Exchange server.

Apple Mail can connect to Exchange as long as it meets one of these requirements.

Exchange Support

Requires Microsoft Office 365, Exchange 2016, Exchange 2013, or Exchange Server 2010 (SP2 or higher).

Try this to fix your Exchange account.

Remove the Exchange account in Mail > Preferences > Accounts.

This takes you to System Preferences > Internet Accounts.

Uncheck to remove the account. Not just uncheck Mail for Exchange.

• Verify the Exchange data was removed when you removed the account.
  • Go to your User's Library > Mail > V5
  • You'll see alphanumeric folders, look inside. If you see the Outbox, this is the local "On My Mac" folders.
  • We don't want to find a folder for Exchange. Check to verify that is was removed. If you find the folder, then with Mail quit, delete the alphanumeric folder containing your Exchange data.
    Clutter is a default Exchange folder, Exchange also has it's own Outbox. This shows Exchange account (the alphanumeric numbers are unique). You might also see custom folders you have created.
    User uploaded file

Next.... in V5 you should see a MailData folder. Delete any files with Envelope in the name.

Back in System Preferences > Internet Accounts

• Add your Exchange account back.
  • Open Mail, It will reindex your messages.
  • Exchange will download again from the server.

My advice: When a new version of macOS is released DO NOT upgrade until it has matured. Unless there is some urgent need to upgrade then wait until the final version (.5 or .6) is released to upgrade. Lastly, check here in Apple Discussions to see if Exchange users are having any issues.

Dec 5, 2017 9:30 PM in response to tbeeze

I thought you were using Outlook not Mail. If you were using Outlook 2011 then you would have needed to get the subscription for Outlook 2016.

Here is one more file that I should have included in the steps. It's not crucial, but could contain data that contains bad data.

With Mail quit....

After doing the steps above in this link,

Go to your User's Library/Containers folder. Drag the com.apple.mail folder to the trash.

Restart

Now add the Exchange account back in System Preferences > Internet Accounts

Show User's Library

The User's Library folder is hidden by default. To unhide:

Option 1) Select the Finder in the Dock. Under Go in the Menu bar > hold down the Option key and you’ll see the Library.

Option 2) You can also select the Home folder in the sidebar of a Finder window.

Pull down the “View” menu and select “Show View Options”

Check the box for “Show Library Folder”

User uploaded file

Oct 1, 2017 12:50 PM in response to PianoMax

I'm having difficultly finding requirements for Mail and Exchange as well. High Sierra has more security built into the OS. While your account worked in prior versions the new security requires a different setup. Airmail probably doesn't have as much security built into the app as Mail. I have Exchange through Office365 and have no issues in either Mail or Outlook 2016.

If new messages don't appear in your Exchange mailbox

If certificate authentication is enabled on the mail server, make sure that your mailbox has no more than 11,000 messages. Microsoft recommends no more than 5000 messages per Exchange mailbox.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201951

Use Microsoft Exchange (EWS) accounts in Mail on your Mac - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201951

It could be your server just needs SP2.

Office 2016 supports:

Microsoft Exchange Server 2016, Exchange Server 2013, Exchange Server 2010, or Exchange Online. Outlook 2016 does not support connections to Exchange Server 2007.

Oct 30, 2017 1:48 AM in response to dianeoforegon

Hi Dianeoforegon,

I'm having similar problems to OP but unlike that person, I WAS able to add the Exchange account using a different user account. According to your post, this suggests it's a problem with my User Folder. Can you be more specific? Details regarding my problem are described here:

Unable to setup Exchange Email Account in Apple Mail on MBP

Thanks!!! A

Dec 6, 2017 1:40 AM in response to PianoMax

I'm having a similar issue where I do not receive new incoming mails.

You can find the thread I started about this here.

Untill now, nothing has helped and Apple has not fixed this issue.

I think they are leaving all the people with Exchange 2010 and prior behind.

Can someone tell me if they have found a solution besides downloading another mail client?

Kind regards

Vince

Dec 6, 2017 12:20 PM in response to VinceJacobs

Vince, rather than reply here, I'm replying in your post in order to keep answers specific to your situation.

Untill now, nothing has helped and Apple has not fixed this issue.

I think they are leaving all the people with Exchange 2010 and prior behind.

I as well as many other users use Apple Mail with Exchange with no issues. The issue you have is specific to your Mac.

Currently, Exchange 2010 is supported. Considering that it's 7 yrs old, you can't expect it to be supported forever in newer macOSes. At some point you will have to stop upgrading your macOS to a newer version if you want to continue to connect to old servers.

Some users have reported that the email app, Spark works with Exchange. Spark is in the App Store and is free.

More info: https://sparkmailapp.com/

ANN: High Sierra 10.13.2 was released today. I urge everyone to update.

Feb 6, 2018 7:25 PM in response to mlgiarra

Yes, if Guest works, the problem is in your User's folder.Trying to find the cause in your User is often difficult. It might be easier to move to your new User.

CREATE A NEW USER

Go to System Preferences --> Create a New User in Users & Groups.

Switch to the New User by logging out under the Apple in the Menu Bar.

Option 1) Check out this option. The directions are not very clear and might seem too daunting, but check it out :

10.11.6 update killed my user account apps

Option 2) Moving your data via Sharing folder might be more user friendly. This is an old article I wrote for Mavericks but the steps are the same.

Move your data to a new User or a new Mavericks partition

http://www.needhelp4mac.com/2014/06/move-your-data-to-a-new-user-or-a-new-maveri cks-partition/

(Fair disclosure: Needhelp4Mac is my site. I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from links on my site.)

If you want to try to reset Mail settings in your User's folder.

With Mail quit...

Go to the User's Library

Scroll to Containers

Drag the com.apple.mail folder to the Desktop or Trash

Scroll to Mail folder

Rename Mail folder to MailXXX

Go to System Preferences > Internet Accounts

Uncheck Mail for each account

Log out under the Apple in the Menu bar

Go to System Preferences > Internet Accounts

Check one account for Mail

Open Mail and verify it is working and fully downloaded before adding other accounts.

If you had folders saved under "On My Mac", do not delete the MailXXX folder unless you have a backup on Time Machine to restore the local folder saved under "On My Mac".

Oct 1, 2017 11:01 AM in response to PianoMax

See if you can connect in a new User or the Guest User.

CREATE A NEW USER

Go to System Preferences --> Create a New User in Users & Groups.

Switch to the New User by logging out under the Apple in the Menu Bar.

You can skip logging in with an Apple ID. Hit continue then skip.

Only Apple apps will be in the Dock.

Go to Applications to open other apps that you want to test.

Add your Exchange account in System Preferences > Internet Accounts

Open Mail.

If it starts downloading you can quit. This indicates the problem is in your User's folder.

Let me know what you find testing in a new User or Guest.

Oct 1, 2017 11:52 AM in response to dianeoforegon

The "trust" windows looked differently...before there was a checkbox to trust, which is now missing, instead there adre dropdown menus, which are by default "accept". So I let the default values. Outlook for Mac 2016 doesn't work with Exchange 2010 SP 1 so I cannot try this.

EDIT: With AIRMAIL3 the connection to Exchange 2010 SP1 works perfectly and all folders and mails are synced properly.

Oct 1, 2017 12:26 PM in response to dianeoforegon

in my configuration the "Always trust" is pre-checked and I confirmed this with my password.

Outlook didn't work with Exchange 2010 SP 1 for ca. 2 years, whereas the Yosemite, El Capitan and Sierra Apple mail apps did without a problem.

I found no information about High Sierra ditching Exchange 2010 SP1 support, perhaps/probably Apple did, but at least they should inform about it.

Oct 1, 2017 1:26 PM in response to PianoMax

I'm still searching for more answers on Exchange 2010 and Mail, but it seems that you would be better off with Sierra with Exchange 2010 SP1.

Trying to use old server software that is not fully updated is asking for problems with new versions of macOS. Newer versions of software work best with newer versions of Exchange ( Exchange 2013 and Exchange 2016)

High Sierra and MS Exchange Problems anyone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.