Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail notifications disappear on iPhone X with Face ID

Mail app notifications on an iPhone X disappear on Face ID authentication.

Posted on Nov 6, 2017 5:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2017 5:45 PM

Thank you. My issue is on the lock screen with an iPhone X. Native mail app messages disappear as soon as Face ID authenticates me while still on the lock screen rather than show the preview. I understand that I can swipe from center to reveal previous notifications but they shouldn’t be dismissed to begin with. Just want to understand if this is a bug and whether it’s happening to others.

43 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2017 5:45 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Thank you. My issue is on the lock screen with an iPhone X. Native mail app messages disappear as soon as Face ID authenticates me while still on the lock screen rather than show the preview. I understand that I can swipe from center to reveal previous notifications but they shouldn’t be dismissed to begin with. Just want to understand if this is a bug and whether it’s happening to others.

Nov 14, 2017 3:28 PM in response to GroundSloth

DEFINITELY A BUG! This ONLY occurs with iphone X email app alerts and NOT on other alerts including Text Messages alerts. I have my Notification/Show As Banners set to >> Persistent to have alerts stay on the screen until you act on it. (as APPLE states on https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201925).

IF by chance Apple says this is "by design" then I don't think it was thoroughly thought out or tested in their rush to market because iphone x users who glance at their email alert while driving (I know they shouldn't but its done) are forced to take an additional step to swipe up from center just to see email alerts? I don't think Apple's attorneys like would like this idea 😮

Please Fix

Nov 6, 2017 5:50 PM in response to GroundSloth

Then don't use Face ID. Your phone is doing what its supposed to do when you hold it and look at your phone. There is one thought. When you say the notifications disappear, is the phone laying flat on a table, or are you holding the phone? If you have picked up the phone you likely have raise to wake on in settings. Once it's awake its looking for your face and that will unlock the phone for you to swipe up to your home page.

Nov 6, 2017 6:01 PM in response to GroundSloth

Happens here too (11.1). Other notifications stay persistent, but not mail. I have tested this with the native Mail app as well as Outlook and Gmail apps, none of these keep email notifications persistent on the lock screen. Missed calls, text messages, etc. remain on the lock screen even after authentication, so this appears to be a bug.

Nov 6, 2017 6:05 PM in response to lobsterghost1

rbrylawski wrote:

Your phone is doing what its supposed to do when you hold it and look at your phone.

I'm not so sure about that.

If you have picked up the phone you likely have raise to wake on in settings. Once it's awake its looking for your face and that will unlock the phone for you to swipe up to your home page.

I think you're missing the point ... with other types notifications one does not have to fully unlock the X and then pull down Notifications to see them - they can be viewed right from the lock screen even after authentication (but still on the lock screen).

Nov 17, 2017 7:29 AM in response to Peter Schaufuss

Okay, turning "Show in history" off fixes the disappearing email notification on the lock screen after Face ID. However, the purpose of the "Show in history" setting is to be able to view the email notification in the notification history drop down, not whether or not the notification should stay view-able on the lock screen after Face ID recognition. (Rhetorically) What if I want to be able to view my notification after Face ID recognition as well as see it in the history drop down? Furthermore, what happens when you unlock the iPhone 8 with fingerprint recognition? The phone unlocks right to the homescreen without the need for a swipe, unlike the iPhone X where you have to swipe up to complete the unlock to the homescreen. This is where I think the bug is happening. Upon unlocking the 8, the notification and lockscreen go away. However, upon unlocking the X, only the notification goes away, not the lockscreen. The "show in history" setting might fix the issue simply due to coincidental programming, but it still doesn't give me the full functionality I want nor does it comply with the settings intentional use. Considering both phones use the same iOS, this may not be a bug with the iPhone 8, but it is most certainly a bug with the iPhone X.... *Extends arm ever so slowly*... *Pauses*... *Mic Drop*

Nov 29, 2017 10:54 AM in response to lobsterghost1

It is absolutely not doing what it is supposed to do. This is a bug specific to mail notifications as every other app's notifications do not disappear (or get moved to the "earlier today" section) once you authenticate with Face ID. Once you authenticate, every notification should still remain on the screen (not get moved to "earlier today") but change in that they now show you a preview of what you will see once you open that specific app.

Mail notifications disappear on iPhone X with Face ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.