Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X Ring Volume Low

Why does the ringer volume not increase when I attempt to use Ringer Up volume button or in the Settings?

Also, why does the ringer volume go very low after the first ring and we are not able to increase the volume so it stays louder?

1) When attempting to use the volume up button to increase the Ringer volume it increases the Volume for the sound but NOT the Ringer.

2) When I receive a call the volume is low and goes even lower on subsequent rings.

TROUBLESHOOTING:

I would change the ringer to/from silent then press the up button in an attempt to increase the ringer volume but it only increases the Volume for the sound (ie; music) but NOT the Ringer. The Ringer screen would pop up but it's immediately replaced with the Volume screen.

I went to Settings>Sounds & Haptics>Ringer and Alerts and increased the slider button to max (the sound would ring very loud). I also turned ON Change with Buttons (*the volume of the ringer and alerts can be adjusted using the volume buttons) but the Ringer volume would still be low when I would make a test call.

I spoke with 3 other iPhone X owners and when we performed a test call they, too, had the same issue.

UPDATE: After adjusting and readjusting the volume in the Settings for the ringer and turning the ringer ON/OFF on my iPhone X it suddenly began to ring normally with an incoming call. HOWEVER, the other 3 iPhone X's still have the very low ringing issue when a call comes in despite trying to fiddle with the settings as I did.

[Re-Titled by Host]

iPhone X, iOS 11.1, null

Posted on Nov 7, 2017 4:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2018 9:02 PM

Nope, wasn’t looking at phone. As I said in my previous post, it was on the end table. I was out of the room and there were people within 10 feet of the phone. Ring was inaudible although volume was on high and side switch wasn’t on silent. After making the adjustment another forum person suggested it worked.

90 replies

Mar 15, 2018 1:06 PM in response to iphonicman

Hi,

This is a feature of iPhone X, please see this Apple article - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208245

If you experience this, it's because your device is seeing you make eye contact with it, thus not needing to alert you at full volume. If you prefer to be alerted at full volume all the time, you can turn off Attention Awareness.

I hope this helps.

Nov 14, 2017 6:26 AM in response to Rysz

You may not need to go into accessibility to get around the issue - mine got lowered after restoring my settings from my previous phone and I could no longer control the ringer volume from the side buttons.

I re-enabled the ringer volume control with the side keys by going into Settings/Sounds and Haptics, and under Ringer and alerts, I enabled Change with Buttons, then raised the volume manually to the level I wanted as a default.

User uploaded file

Nov 19, 2017 12:24 AM in response to iphonicman

Yes even I had the same issue. After a lot of trials & errors, I got it. All you need to do go to

Accessibility> Face ID & Attention> Attention aware features> Slide off the button

(if you slide off this button may TrueDepth camera will check for attention before dimming the display or lowering the volume of alerts)

Now the ring volume is full and high and reflecting as well. Enjoy now.

Apr 5, 2018 12:55 AM in response to iphonicman

Friends here is the answer for your question.

User uploaded fileiPhone X ring volume very low and how to fix?

Have you noticed the iPhone X ringer volume goes from loud to low? Often iPhone X users notice that the iPhone X ringtone will sound very quiet after initially sounding loud, but despite pressing the volume up buttons they can’t get the iPhone X ringtone to sound loud again, it’s just stuck quiet. Don’t fret and there’s nothing wrong with your iPhone X for exhibiting this behavior, in fact this is actually a feature.

If your iPhone X rings loud but then gets quiet and stays quiet, but you’d rather have the iPhone X ringer volume stay loud all the time when getting a call, read on to learn the proper settings adjustment to stop this behavior. The end result will be that iPhone X sounds loud on incoming calls all the time and the iPhone X will stop quieting the ringtone volume itself.

What causes the iPhone X ringtone volume to be very low after initially sounding loud? It’s actually a Face ID feature. And yes, this ring sound volume lowering capability applies even if Face ID is not being used on iPhone X to unlock or authenticate the device, and much like how Animoji uses the Face ID camera to scan your face even if you aren’t using Face ID authentication, the front camera for face scanning is active for other features too, and that includes the ringtone volume.

How to Stop iPhone X Ring Volume Going Quiet

You can disable the attention awareness feature that scans your face and determines you’re looking at the iPhone X, which in turn lowers the ring volume on the device. With this feature turned off, the iPhone X will stop lowering the ring volume of calls automatically when you pick up the iPhone and look at it.

1. Open the “Settings” app on the iPhone
  2. Go to the “Face ID & Passcode” section
  3. Locate the “Attention Aware Features” option and turn the switch to the OFF position
  4. Exit out of Settings

User uploaded fileiPhone X ring volume very low and how to fix

Have you noticed the iPhone X ringer volume goes from loud to low? Often iPhone X users notice that the iPhone X ringtone will sound very quiet after initially sounding loud, but despite pressing the volume up buttons they can’t get the iPhone X ringtone to sound loud again, it’s just stuck quiet. Don’t fret and there’s nothing wrong with your iPhone X for exhibiting this behavior, in fact this is actually a feature.

If your iPhone X rings loud but then gets quiet and stays quiet, but you’d rather have the iPhone X ringer volume stay loud all the time when getting a call, read on to learn the proper settings adjustment to stop this behavior. The end result will be that iPhone X sounds loud on incoming calls all the time and the iPhone X will stop quieting the ringtone volume itself.

What causes the iPhone X ringtone volume to be very low after initially sounding loud? It’s actually a Face ID feature. And yes, this ring sound volume lowering capability applies even if Face ID is not being used on iPhone X to unlock or authenticate the device, and much like how Animoji uses the Face ID camera to scan your face even if you aren’t using Face ID authentication, the front camera for face scanning is active for other features too, and that includes the ringtone volume.

How to Stop iPhone X Ring Volume Going Quiet

You can disable the attention awareness feature that scans your face and determines you’re looking at the iPhone X, which in turn lowers the ring volume on the device. With this feature turned off, the iPhone X will stop lowering the ring volume of calls automatically when you pick up the iPhone and look at it.

1. Open the “Settings” app on the iPhone
  2. Go to the “Face ID & Passcode” section
  3. Locate the “Attention Aware Features” option and turn the switch to the OFF position
  4. Exit out of Settings

User uploaded file

You can confirm this works by getting an incoming call on iPhone X, it should now be loud as your settings were set to beforehand and no longer quiet the call to a very low volume automatically.

Another helpful step is to make sure your iPhone ringer volume is turned up all the way to the loudest setting, since sometimes users have inadvertently made the iPhone volume low

You can confirm this works by getting an incoming call on iPhone X, it should now be loud as your settings were set to beforehand and no longer quiet the call to a very low volume automatically.

Another helpful step is to make sure your iPhone ringer volume is turned up all the way to the loudest setting, since sometimes users have inadvertently made the iPhone volume low

iPhone X Ring Volume Low For Incoming Call? Here is Why

Nov 15, 2017 1:54 PM in response to iphonicman

i too had this problem so I took my phone into the apple shop, they replaced it straight away at the genius bar, it might be an idea to share this information with them so that they are aware that a simple change of the settings solves this problem. Full marks though to the guy who served me on the GB as they changed it without hesitation great customer service

Dec 17, 2017 8:58 AM in response to srosemer

Reply ...

It seems as soon as you pick up your phone the ringer volume drops. Set your ringer volume up in settings. Put you phone on a table and call it from another phone. The ringer is loud for as long as it sits on the table. Pick it up and the volume drops down. Same thing happens when the phone is in a pocket, in a carrier, in a purse. Loud ring until you handle the phone ... then the volume drops down. Your I-Phone X senses you have handled the phone. I discovered this by trial and error. Hope it works for you!

Dr. L

Dec 22, 2017 11:17 AM in response to iphonicman

I had same issue. But what I found is that it may actually be iPhones feature. When you are holding it in your hand the ringtone goes quiet since iPhone assumes you are already aware of the call. When placing phone on the table and calling the ring is loud. Once taken in hand it goes quiet. You should try it. Maybe its the case for you as well. Good luck and Merry Christmas

Dec 24, 2017 7:48 AM in response to iphonicman

Had same issue.. what fixed it for me was turning up ringer volume in settings and also turning on control ringer volume with button. Now that it’s working I’m going to turn off button control, I like having them separate. So I have 1 consistent ringer volume. Having the volume default set so low that you miss calls makes no since. Apple should consider the large affluent population that is over 45 whose hearing may not be as good as the inexperienced millennial that came up with the initial volume setting. Finally the lower volume based on facial recognition; Your facial recognition technology is FABULOUS!! But let’s not over use. I often will sit with my phone on my desk while I wait for a call, and while I work on other things, or meet with other people .. my phone will unlock because it detects me, but I don’t want it lowering the ring, I’m waiting for the ring and the people I’m with are waiting for the ring. The ring like dial tone, is part of phone culture. We have adapted or life processes around iit. I do appreciate your innovative thought however!!

Jan 14, 2018 11:11 AM in response to iphonicman

Actually this is not an issue with iPhone X but it’s a feature to avoid unnecessary sound created by phones when not needed.
iPhone X lowers ringer volume if its face detection algorithm determines that you’re looking at the phone, in which case an audio cue is no longer needed. However since it is based upon the FaceID feature , iPhone X should ring normally when the screen is off, or you’re not looking at it.

iPhone X Ring Volume Low

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.