Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When cold flash not working IPhone 8+

Does anyone has the Same problem ? When it’s cold outside my iPhone 8+ Flash isn’t working. Even when it’s dark no flash when taking a picture. As soon as I’m inside my house and the phone gets warmer the flash works again. The flashlight is working normal.

Posted on Nov 11, 2017 10:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 1:04 PM

Hi djtwok,
Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. I understand that you are having some issues with the flash on your iPhone when it is cold out. I'm not sure how cold we are talking, but you may want to make sure that you are using your iPhone within the range outlined below:

Environmental Requirements

• Operating ambient temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
  • Nonoperating temperature: −4° to 113° F (−20° to 45° C)
  • Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
  • Operating altitude: tested up to 10,000 feet (3000 m)

iPhone 8 - Technical Specifications - Apple

Use iOS devices where the ambient temperature is between 0º and 35º C (32º to 95º F). Low- or high-temperature conditions might cause the device to change its behavior to regulate its temperature. Using an iOS device in very cold conditions outside of its operating range might temporarily shorten battery life and could cause the device to turn off. Battery life will return to normal when you bring the device back to higher ambient temperatures.

Keeping iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support
Regards.

204 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2017 1:04 PM in response to djtwok

Hi djtwok,
Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. I understand that you are having some issues with the flash on your iPhone when it is cold out. I'm not sure how cold we are talking, but you may want to make sure that you are using your iPhone within the range outlined below:

Environmental Requirements

• Operating ambient temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
  • Nonoperating temperature: −4° to 113° F (−20° to 45° C)
  • Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
  • Operating altitude: tested up to 10,000 feet (3000 m)

iPhone 8 - Technical Specifications - Apple

Use iOS devices where the ambient temperature is between 0º and 35º C (32º to 95º F). Low- or high-temperature conditions might cause the device to change its behavior to regulate its temperature. Using an iOS device in very cold conditions outside of its operating range might temporarily shorten battery life and could cause the device to turn off. Battery life will return to normal when you bring the device back to higher ambient temperatures.

Keeping iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support
Regards.

Dec 9, 2017 7:25 AM in response to Sebbl2016

Hello, just wondering if anyone has spoken to Apple about this issue? Any news that could be shared would be appreciated. Also, I’d suggest as many people as possible report this bug via the feedback tool that can be found here: https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html.

Hopefully this is software related and having multiple submissions to the site on this issue will prompt them to fix it.

Dec 18, 2017 11:51 PM in response to Giop_91

Sorry for delay. Just getting in. I did check on the situation.

So, it appears the software engineers are definitely aware. This is all that was released to me and the tech, as per protocol. But, they do have it listed as a known issue & are continually intaking feedback from all sources

-Currently, the advice offered to customers experiencing the issue is that any of the iPhone's should be within the stated, acceptable operating temperatures:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201678

- Users have reported that a quick fix and temporary one is to force restart the device to get it going again, and yep, may have to do this as often as needed

-Not all users are experiencing the issue. That part was definitively stated

- One thing that I had no idea about was this issue occurred with the iPhone 6 & 7 models also, in the past and has obviously since been corrected

- No release on a sw update, but that's normal as Apple doesn't release this info to anyone unless it's public first

- As for exchanging, you may well experience same issue . Thus, it's definitely a personal decision

- If I were to exchange and lived in weather not conducive to the device, I would select another model.

That's just my perspective however

- Did talk with someone at work today who I found out has an iPhone 8. His exhibits this behavior at times. He uses the force restart method currently

- Safe to venture it's software related, if I based it on the above info along with other data

Think that's it...a bit wiped after a 13 hr day so I may have forgotten something, but if anything new comes my way, I'll pass forward

***Please note this as advice and info only from a user not via Apple. I make no claim this info is tied directly to Apple nor would speak on their behalf

This is simply my research based on reaching out, researching & networking as a user trying to help offer other insight only to help, as I know this can be upsetting and disconcerting especially with nothing in print as of yet.

Take care everyone ~

Dec 1, 2017 10:24 AM in response to djtwok

I’m having the same problem Apple swapped my iPhone 8+.. same problem still only seems to happen when I’m outside at night in the dark when it’s cold after my phone gets back to normal temperature flash works again .. I’ve videod it on my partners phone to take in to show Apple tomorrow as they won’t be able to see this fault with my phone unless they go outside for an hour with it at night ..

Dec 2, 2017 4:48 AM in response to djtwok

The iOS 11.2 does not solve the problem... in the Apple engineering read this ****?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Dec 4, 2017 12:30 AM in response to djtwok

Hy everybody! I speak with Apple support UK. They Tell me this is a hardware problem. Must bring back the iPhone to Apple.

The distributor (great Mobile service) tell me the problem is the change device is also leak!!!!! (???) its a problematic seies and many devices is the world (X,8) is wrong. Perhaps the manufacturer should do a recall??? Interesting! A

s long as the manufacturer does not respond to this error, everyone should tell the problem to the manufacturer its very important!!!!!!!!!

Dec 4, 2017 3:50 AM in response to Sebbl2016

I wouldn't even go that far to say that the hardware is faulty, because at the same time the flash doesn't work for taking photos or in other apps, it still does work if you activate the flashlight function from control center.

Since swapping out the hardware didn't fix the problem, it's either a hardware problem that affects all phones or a huge batch, or it's not a hardware problem but faulty OS software or camera module software driver.

Dec 7, 2017 6:43 PM in response to Stickx30

Yep, something's gotta give

Acceptable temps article indicate by Apple:

"Using an iOS device in very cold conditions outside of its operating range might temporarily shorten battery life and could cause the device to turn off. Battery life will return to normal when you bring the device back to higher ambient temperatures"

Well, the temp is ccontinually dropping here. My only solace is that I don't have to use it outside much

When cold flash not working IPhone 8+

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.