Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro 9 and High Sierra

This might be the last straw with Apple. Two computers, Logic Pro 9 on both of them, I upgrade to High Sierra on my laptop only to find Logic Pro 9 now does not work and I have to upgrade at $199.00.

I bought Logic Pro 9. It is mine. I bought Apple computers. They are mine. Now Apple takes away the program I BOUGHT?

This tells me to think of a couple of solutions: don't ever upgrade OS to latest and greatest, for fear of losing the applications you do have, or now it is time to start looking around at other DAWs.

I have already counseled my son to avoid Mac, as he is now starting to look at computer purchases as well as music programs. He will not be going with Mac. My wife and I have, in all, 7 Apples running in our house if you include iPhones. Two iMacs, two MacBook Pros, and 3 iPhones. They continue their quest to make things more clever and clever, confusing the entire experience, and we, too, will phase back out of Mac as each unit crashes and burns, and I won't miss them.

This morning's discovery might be the last straw, and I will probably hurry up the changeover. My advice to you out there who are looking for computers....avoid Apple. They are not who they think they are.

Apple TV, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 27, 2017 5:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2017 8:28 AM

Thank you for your reply, and you may well be right. But in my mind, I bought it. I am not a computer whiz and am not all that familiar with how these things work. I just like to compose music, that is all, and I would like to hone it as best I can purely for self satisfaction.

However, my basic point still stands. Apple is self absorbed and thinks it is king. They force their users to use only Apple products as much as they can, making their technology proprietary. I am not a fan of that philosophy and have found that their equipment is not easy enough to use, nor does it stand up to the test of time, for the price and its expectations of purchase renewals.

The other thing is that I really don't think Apple cares about me. They should. Enough me(s) can eventually cause problems in their company....they need to try to keep my happy and they don't. Not without paying them another 100 dollars a crack to ask questions, or whatever their charges are these days.

I had a Dell computer that ran me fine for ten years. I think we will migrate back.

43 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2017 8:28 AM in response to F-L-E-X-I-S

Thank you for your reply, and you may well be right. But in my mind, I bought it. I am not a computer whiz and am not all that familiar with how these things work. I just like to compose music, that is all, and I would like to hone it as best I can purely for self satisfaction.

However, my basic point still stands. Apple is self absorbed and thinks it is king. They force their users to use only Apple products as much as they can, making their technology proprietary. I am not a fan of that philosophy and have found that their equipment is not easy enough to use, nor does it stand up to the test of time, for the price and its expectations of purchase renewals.

The other thing is that I really don't think Apple cares about me. They should. Enough me(s) can eventually cause problems in their company....they need to try to keep my happy and they don't. Not without paying them another 100 dollars a crack to ask questions, or whatever their charges are these days.

I had a Dell computer that ran me fine for ten years. I think we will migrate back.

Jan 25, 2018 5:32 PM in response to Indyuser

Thank you for the response but do not presume to say that the license agreement applies to all Apple Software as you are showing me the Logic Pro X License Agreement. That may apply nowadays but back then you have the option to purchase (yes, purchase) the Logic Pro Studio software and you are provided with a product key to show that you are indeed the OWNER and not pirating or copying it from someone else (the image below is from the software I bought). Again, I don't have a problem shelling out $200 for an upgrade but I thought that Apple has shortchanged the Logic Pro X. It doesn't come with the package provided in the Logic Pro Studio and that is why I believe that they should have warned the users via email prior to upgrading the OS. I am very disappointed with this action so instead of upgrading, I'm going to move on to a different software now as my DAW (Pro Tools or Studio One 3). Peace out.User uploaded file

Jan 26, 2018 5:28 AM in response to gerhardB

Understandably there’s a lot of upset folks commenting on here so let’s get some facts straight and I hope to offer some tips that will help avoid future issues like this before they happen.

1. Upgrading an operating system is a choice and must be done so IF it makes sense in your situation. It’s the user’s responsibility to do research first before making a big leap.

2. Emails were sent out to legacy users of Final Cut Studio and Logic Studio back in August 2017 with a link to “About Apple Pro Apps and High Sierra” but before you say you didn’t receive it there were several tech websites that posted the upcoming changes:

https://m.imore.com/heads-these-apple-pro-apps-wont-work-high-sierra

https://m.dpreview.com/news/4303332787/rip-final-cut-pro-7-the-video-editor-won- t-work-at-all-on-macos-high-sierra

https://www.geniusdv.com/tutorials/end-of-final-cut-pro-7-with-high-sierra/

https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/28/final-cut-pro-7-wont-launch-macos-high-sierr a/

3. With a Time Machine backup a user can easily revert back to a previous operating system and backup to continue using Logic Pro 9.

4. What software do you own besides Logic Pro 9 has lasted for 8 years through 7 operating systems? I can’t think of any. I know I got my money’s worth from Logic Studio and Logic Pro X is a worthy successor worth it’s low price tag of $200. Every update since it’a release in July 2013 has been free and that’s from version 10.0-10.4. 10.4 by the way has a ton of new awesome features: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203718

5. Lastly, before doing any update, if you didn’t get an email, read it on Apple’s website, or know for sure if it’s right for you to do, ask for clarity. Apple’s Pro Apps Support is available 7 days a week 866-752-7753, option 3.

Best of luck on whichever route you take!

Nov 27, 2017 7:19 AM in response to gjleo

"I bought Logic Pro 9. It is mine..."

Sorry no... you purchased a license to use Logic 9, (not own it).

Logic 9 was released in 2009, so it's ambitious to think it would be supported, (or even work) on High Sierra. There's plenty of threads of people having issues with Logic X with High Sierra, so I'm afraid the moral of the story is always do your research before a major OS update, (& also do a backup in case you need to revert).

$199.00 seems a fair price to "upgrade" (purchase) Logic X, (especially in comparison to other DAW's). As a Logic user since V4, I can tell you I've spent a fair bit more on upgrades over the years 😉

Nov 27, 2017 8:26 AM in response to F-L-E-X-I-S

yep... wait until you see what other people charge you for far fewer updates....

I paid hundred of dollars for Finale and could not get them to fix one major issue and when they did - they wanted me to buy and upgrade to the latest version ( which was really just a minor version update).

Be careful you don't cut off your nose to spite your face - You think everything is going to work under windows.... my cakewalk won't run under windows 10 🙂

Logic Pro X has had something along the lines of 10 free updates since its release in 2013... That is INCREDIBLE...

Most are moving to a subscription model now where you pay so much per month.... That's like upgrading yearly whether you need to or not.....

Moving to Apple from Windows was the best move I ever made.... stuff just works now....

Dec 28, 2017 5:16 AM in response to gjleo

Well, i have an old MAC late 2009 and was astonished that I could update it to high sierra.

Now I have the same problem

The decision is to take now: downgrade it ( have a full backup on time machine ) and then i have sierra and Logic 9 will work, or invest 200 $ .

I'm gonna downgrade it.

I don't need the latest features ...

Logic is good enough as is ( at least for me )

But there is an alternate solution:

For testing i use VMWare Fusion

Just set up a MAC with Sierra as a virtual machine

Dec 28, 2017 9:33 AM in response to gjleo

Nearly everyone I know who runs Pro Tools run it on a Mac. That's owned by Avid, not Apple, and they have to be very careful about any sort of updates. They don't upgrade their OS until Avid qualify their version of Pro Tools on any particular OS but they do have to go to Avid to find out the info. I believe Avid do the same for Windows users too.

Did you have a Dell computer that you updated to the latest version of Windows every time a new version was released and did all your Windows based apps work through every update without actually having to update the apps themselves? In my experience Microsoft Office suite breaks on Windows with virtually every incremental update then MS fix the apps to work. I have an Apple 4400 in the loft that is in perfect working order. That's from 1996 but, of course, won't run anything since 2000'ish. Logic 9 has done amazingly well for its age and there is the alternative by making sure any apps you use are compatible before upgrading an OS. No matter what OS it is, be it OS X, Windows, Unix, Linux etc. Apple stopped any development for Logic 9 the moment Logic X came out and that was over 4 years ago now.

My fridge broke the other day. I'd only had it 4 years, less time than I've owned and used Logic 9. It's out of warranty and the repair is the cost of a new fridge. I bought that fridge, it should last until I die of old age.

You don't have to upgrade your OS. You don't have to upgrade your apps. The OS used to cost £125 in itself and, of course, this is a user to user forum so I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make. You should complain to Apple. Apple don't come here or read these threads.

Dec 28, 2017 12:46 PM in response to gjleo

I had this problem and I agree...Apple is just milking you.

Statements like "other DAW's are equally or more expensive" or "it's ambitious to think that Apple would support its older products" or "Do your research" or "Apple gives free updates for current software" etc...all of these statements are just making excuses for the terrible way that Apple conducts its business. When there is a major change like an OS upgrade that will make your purchased programs obsolete, it is Apple's responsibility to inform their customers of the change (which they didn't do with me).

Dec 28, 2017 2:18 PM in response to reyemlrak

Attn. octopi.

Great reply as always. Yes, old is better, I run three OS's 10.7. 10.8 and 10.11 all to suit whatever software I need to run, old or new. Nothing dies or gets thrown out. OS 10.8.5 with Logic 9.1.8 and Profire 2626. The most stable setup yet. Long live Apple.

What I wanted to mention was that Apple does come here and they do read these forums. Several days ago I replied to a post very similar to gileo. They stopped the reply because of the wording I used to describe people who upgrade OS's without doing their home work regarding OS and App, compatibility and blaming Apple.

Interesting to say the least.

Dec 28, 2017 3:18 PM in response to reyemlrak

Not to beat a dead horse... Apple relies on hardware sales to make money, their software is a perk, an incentive to purchase the hardware. Continuous MacOS updates do force hardware sales, there's no doubt about that, yep High Sierra will install on older machines.. but the performance is terrible. It's business, not a business I personally agree with, it's all about the stock and the shareholders and less about the users who lately seem to be only a source of money for Apple. I think a fairly sharp downturn in their stock will happen in the next couple of years unless some major innovation happens. Both my PC and Mac use older operating systems, I like the "feel" of the computer to be light and nimble. Win-7 is a very good OS for Audio as is Snow Leopard 10.6.8 & Logic 9.

Dec 28, 2017 5:20 PM in response to logic79

Yes, but that was a forum admin. Not a software developer or R&D or coders or design or bug fixers or suggestion implementors or anything else. They have the forum rules in front of them and they are paid to remove or censor things that break the forum rules and that's all.

They don't and cannot report back issues people have with hardware, software or policy. They just police the forum and that's it. So no one who can do anything for a user or group of users who bring up a good or valid point will be heard by the right people through these forums. This is just users trying to help other users. We are our own support and tech team.

Don't get me wrong, there's loads of things I strongly disagree with coming out and from Apple these days but I use feedback links straight to Apple for those hoping someone (or if enough people do the same) may address some issues. I just don't do it through this forum because........ Apple don't come here. Not the Apple that can do anything about the subject of this thread.

Dec 28, 2017 5:23 PM in response to Pancenter

Running 10.6.8 for my main rig and also have a Windows 7 machine for a couple of other things. My 10.6.8 machine runs brilliantly.

I also have a couple of 2012 Mac Minis that run newer OS's and Logic X. Only ever use them if something comes in on Logic X. Even then, I usually clean up the wavs and bounce out and into my Logic 9 setup.

Dec 29, 2017 9:13 AM in response to octopi

Don't be silly. It is not my responsibility as a customer to spend time searching on the internet to see if any of the hundreds of programs I have on my computer may have become obsolete upon upgrading to the latest OS. If a warning happened to be posted on some esoteric webpage, it just seems like laziness, stinginess and avoidance of responsibility on the part of Apple, especially since the place people download from (the App Store) had no such warning. It is a simple matter for companies to issue a warning when an action (like downloading the latest OS) is initiated that may ruin software that I have on my machine.

This is beside the point anyway. People pay a lot of money for programs like Logic, and if Apple had any wherewithal or respect for their customers, they would provide alternatives for customers...e.g., a patch that would enable Logic Pro 9 to work, or an opportunity to upgrade to Logic X for the difference in price between the two, etc.

Jan 8, 2018 11:13 PM in response to reyemlrak

I agree, Apple has lost sight of what made their products and the company great. I won't be upgrading to "I was Too High" Sierra and when I buy new DAW, it will be on a PC! Presently the lowest latency interface uses Thunderbolt and even though I have an i7 desktop with dual monitors, you can't buy a thunderbolt card for a Dell PC. They want you to buy a new $3k HP PC. This is total CRAP! All audio interfaces should use a network cable and put an end to the connectivity and platform war. Same old religious war on the Mac since the 80's. Back in the day, QuickTime did everything and it was free. No pro version just to save your file. I'm tired of Apple crap. The Mac is not intuitive or easier, it's just more expensive and their hardware becomes obsolete by design. I have a P4 in the garage running XP and I'll bet I could install Win 10 on it! 35 years and I still have to blow some corporation before I can write and record a song.

Logic Pro 9 and High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.