Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 6 randomly shutting down - black screen with spinning wheel

as of this morning my iphone 6 has randomly started black screening with white spinning icon, every couple of minutes - i have reset with power / home button; reset network settings, turned into airplane mode and switched off - HELP.

Phone is tanking after every task

iPhone 6, iOS 11.1.2

Posted on Dec 1, 2017 3:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2017 6:38 PM

I have had the same issue since this morning Melbourne time. Visited the Apple Highpoint shop and they have had approx. 50 people come in with the same issue and have informed Apple. The engineers in the shop are unable to fix the issue. Told me to sit tight for a few days until Apple comes out with an update. I have followed the advice from the clay_easton post on here. I went into Settings- General- Date & Time- Set Automatically (turn off). I kept the location as Sydney which gives me Melbourne time but just put the date back by 2 weeks. I then turned my phone off then on. This has worked for the time being and my phone has not crashed, I am now able to see my alarms in the clock App. Hopefully Apple provides a long term solution soon.

63 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2017 6:38 PM in response to BelleC27

I have had the same issue since this morning Melbourne time. Visited the Apple Highpoint shop and they have had approx. 50 people come in with the same issue and have informed Apple. The engineers in the shop are unable to fix the issue. Told me to sit tight for a few days until Apple comes out with an update. I have followed the advice from the clay_easton post on here. I went into Settings- General- Date & Time- Set Automatically (turn off). I kept the location as Sydney which gives me Melbourne time but just put the date back by 2 weeks. I then turned my phone off then on. This has worked for the time being and my phone has not crashed, I am now able to see my alarms in the clock App. Hopefully Apple provides a long term solution soon.

Dec 1, 2017 6:55 PM in response to BelleC27

Someone on a similar thread says that this has to deal with a date-based issue (Dealing with December 1st), and that many people in Apple Stores are having the same issue.

A temporary fix is to go into "Settings" > "General" > "Date and Time" > change your date to pre-Dec 1st (it's not a fix, but it should prevent your phone from resetting every minute or so)

"[...] it has been escalated to the highest levels and the Apple Store is full of people with the same problem."

"No fi[x] at this time - but we can expect that this will get a lot of attention!"

See the post here:

Re: Phone gets locked every 1 min automatically closing applications

Dec 1, 2017 3:36 PM in response to BelleC27

I also have this problem (6s) as does my girlfriend (6).

I have tried powering off, resetting with power & home buttons, updating iOS to the latest version, backing up to iCloud & restoring. None of this has worked, after restoring my phone is still crashing every few minutes to the same black screen & spinning icon OP mentioned.

The phone also gets extremely hot if I use it and the battery is draining very quickly.

This all started very early this morning (I first noticed it around 4am New Zealand time December 2nd)

Dec 1, 2017 4:16 PM in response to BelleC27

Have been having the same issue since 2am Adelaide time. Kicks me out of any app i'm in at the time, black screen with the circle thinking icon, phone hot and serious battery drain. The "Clock" app also doesn't work. Driving me absolutely crazy. Have been trying Apple Support on Twitter but no luck with a reply. Lots of other people on Twitter complaining of the exact same issues.

I have the current IOS.

Dec 1, 2017 5:07 PM in response to BelleC27

I also became aware of my phone continually shutting down every 3-5 minutes or so at about 1:30am EDST. I have done 3 hard starts, and now just finished restoring from an iTunes backup. The battery power is draining very quickly (not surprisingly since it is continually restarting itself), and it is quite hot. I have exhausted all my options, and it would seem to be a very common problem overnight!

Apple needs to help.

Dec 1, 2017 5:32 PM in response to BelleC27

I have the same issue in Sydney Australia as of around midnight last night. Only thing that I'd done differently was allowing the phone battery to run flat last night, but I can't do anything with the phone without it restarting every few minutes and it's running extremely hot. Restart, full reset doesn't work and can't restore backup from cloud or iTunes because the phone constantly restarts itself. It's unusable at the moment.

Dec 1, 2017 5:54 PM in response to BelleC27

Same thing here - Germany - Just started a few hours ago - Iphone 7 going to the spinning screen all 20 - 30 Seconds. The phone gets very hot in the upper right back corner and you can watch the battery percentage numbers drop. Trying to charge the phone results in a phone that constantly beeps while it´s crashing and recovering.

Turning off Auto Time & Date , setting the time zone to Cupertino and the date back one week - then turn off the phone and on again. This worked for me. It´s not a real fix thou...

Dec 1, 2017 6:21 PM in response to BelleC27

We also have this problem with an iPhone 7. (Based in north west Queensland - 5 hours from the nearest Apple or Telstra shop!) No rhyme nor reason to what is happening - just keeps going to blank screen with spinning wheel and then back to Home screen. Also correct Clock time shows on front screen, however can not access any alarm / timer information or settings within that App. Can seem to open most Apps but they self close after about 3-4 seconds. Battery has gone from 77% down to 37% in less than an hour. Please help. This is very frustrating!!

Dec 1, 2017 6:58 PM in response to BelleC27

Apple know about this so-called "re-spring" issue and are working on permanent fix according to their Support Line people.

Temporary fix is to reset the system time to before 2am December 2 local time — go to Settings > General > Date & Time > Set Time Automatically to OFF

Apple Support line had very little to offer other than the temporary fix above, and I would suggest that everyone doesn't waste their time on hold! There is also not much point going to an Apple Store as this issue relates to the latest version of iOS (11.1.2) and is outside their expertise to fix at this time.

iphone 6 randomly shutting down - black screen with spinning wheel

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.