Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Custom lyrics not showing iOS 11.2

After updating my iphone to 11.2 recently, I noticed I cannot look at my custom lyrics I added via iTunes on my phone anymore. There is no show lyrics button. Why is this? Is this a bug or is this how the app is for the foreseeable future? I am seriously, deeply sad and angry that this feature has been taken away. It was literally the only thing keeping me in iOS.

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 11.2

Posted on Dec 4, 2017 4:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2017 8:18 AM

This is getting painful.

It worked only with difficulty in iOS11.1.2.

For me it was necessary to remove all of my music and then sync it again.

Now, even this trick does not work...

How could we get apple to get this to work???

158 replies

Dec 17, 2017 10:27 AM in response to amelean

I believe i have a reliable way of getting the lyrics to be visible on the iphone.

I enclose a link to a small movie illustrating the methode.

I go for example to playlist pick a list, then a song.

Once the song is playing, I touch the song at the bottom of the scren.

I get the artwork.

If I touch the 3 red dots, the window that pops up does not containe the line lyrics. .

I click now on the small art work.

This activates a new list.

The song is displayed in pink.

I keep my finger on that song.

A new window pop up where the item lyrics appears at the bottom.

Of course complicated but reliable...it seems

good luck all.

Dropbox - LyricsoniPhone.mp4

Feb 4, 2018 10:33 PM in response to 8OCardColumn

ok I don't believe they were telling you the whole truth when they told you it was purposefully this way and not a bug. i have been working at AppleCare (Apple's phone support) for years, until relatively recently, and i have seen former colleagues do this: give the caller a wrong answer with conviction to make the issue go away.

let me recap the issue we're discussing: in iOS 10 and later lyrics were meant to show right below the album artwork, but before Up Next.

see a description here: View lyrics in Apple Music - Apple Support

however, this never worked perfectly, it was not showing the lyrics to some of the songs. and every update made it a little worse. it was showing lyrics this way maybe for half the songs or less, but in iOS 11.x.x it shows lyrics for none of the songs

now, if the specific AppleCare advisor or senior advisor that you spoke to told you that they temporarily did away with this feature, because they're trying to figure out what to do, i might believe it.

but i can't believe this complicated way of showing lyrics is the way Apple wants it right now

therefore, i think they gave you a half truth to make you go away

Jun 26, 2018 7:05 PM in response to Li_La

Li_La, this thread has gotten rather long. What, exactly, is not working for you?

There have been several improvements since this thread started, including that iOS 11.4 has restored the original method of bringing up lyrics.

I've also posted a comment on an alternative method that worked for me. Check out Bringing up Custom Lyrics on your iPhone.

Dec 8, 2017 9:57 AM in response to cj619

Now. Force touch is not available on my iPhone SE.

I seem to be able to see the lyrics however.

When my song plays, I tap on the art and see that lyrics is not present.

I then that on the small art work

I get a list display.

I double tap and hold my finger on the screen.

And lyrics come up.

So terrible!!

This needs to be fixed.

Dec 11, 2017 10:25 AM in response to Retxed24

**** APPLE! I HAVE THIS ******* LYRIC **** BUG IN EVERY SINGLE UPDATE RESP. SUBVERSION SINCE IOS 9.0.0, YES: IN 9.0.0, AGAIN IN 9.0.1, AGAIN IN 9.0.2, AGAIN IN 10.0.0, AGAIN IN 10.0.1, IN 10.1.0., IN 10.1.1, AND AGAIN IN 11.0.0, IN 11.0.1, IN 11.1.0, IN 11.1.1., IN 11.1.2 AND STILL IN 11.2.0 - AND NOW ******* PERSISTANT.

Sometimes before it "helped" to copy EVERY SINGLE TRACK MANUALLY AGAIN to iPhone – after EVERY SINGLE SUB-UPDATE again and again. Sometimes it worked, BUT NOW NOTHING WORKS! WORSE, THE VOX PLAYER KNOWS THE LYRICS - THAT PROVES THE DATA IS THERE!

THE BEST OF ALL IS THAT the APPLE IOS 11 CRAP FORCES me to enter two-way authentification codes WITH THE SAME DEVICE – on my MacBook the ******* idiots asks me if I trust the MacBook, on the iPhone it asks me if I trust THE IPHONE!

STEVE JOBS IS DEAD.

Dec 17, 2017 2:24 AM in response to Retxed24

My iphone X, After updating my iphone to 11.2 .1 recently, I noticed I cannot look at my custom lyrics I added via iTunes on my phone anymore. There is no show lyrics button. Why is this? Is this a bug or is this how the app is for the foreseeable future? I am seriously, deeply sad and angry that this feature has been taken away. It was literally the only thing keeping me in iOS.

Dec 17, 2017 8:41 AM in response to Shih3310

Same here, I have 12 thousand songs on my iPhone in 5 languages. It had been a tool to learn languages.

Collected and manually inserted all lyrics for years and years now I can't see them.

Disappointment is an understatement.

And If you have the patience to call them is like talking to a 4 year old and repeating the same over and over.

Dec 18, 2017 7:06 PM in response to ppithermo

Thanks for the procedure! It works great on my iPhone 8 Plus 256GB iOS 11.2.1. However, the procedure does not work on my iPad Pro 9.7", iOS 11.2.1.

Your solution reminds me that even though I've used/owned/bought/programmed many Apple products since 1984 I should get back into the habit of clicking/pressing on everything I see on a screen just to see where it takes me.

Dec 22, 2017 8:49 AM in response to ready2rock4ever

Thank you for this. They were showing automatically while playing the song. After 11.2.1 update, they are no longer showing and you have to press and hold on a song, then choose lyrics. Very crappy indeed! Why would they change that? What is wrong with these people? Quit worrying about changing things to impress and just make sure everything works. It's different every time and I'm getting quite tired of it all.

Jan 1, 2018 5:51 AM in response to ppithermo

Thanks for discovering this. Nice find!

On my 6 Plus it does work for a few of my files, but most still do not display the lyrics button even in that new secondary window that pops up. All my mp3 files have an "UNSYNCEDLYRICS" tag containing lyrics, so I can't really identify the reason for this inconsistency.

Apple, are you listening to any of this? Are you testing your iOS updates on phones without Force Touch?

Custom lyrics not showing iOS 11.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.